Main Menu

Rear window glass installation information

Started by GoMangoBoys, January 06, 2020, 01:33:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

I am installing the filler panel between the trunk lid and the read window.  I have it tacked in place and I am happy with it.  I want to make sure that it is really in the right place before I totally weld it in place.  I laid the deck lid in place and I feel it fits right there.  I am concerned that the front edge might not be in the right place.  I do not know how the window installs and therefore I do not know how much tolerance there is in the placement of this panel.  The original one was heavily and badly repaired, so I did not feel it was a given to be correct to start with.

GoMangoBoys

Shortly after posting this question, I found the following article that gives me some idea how the window goes in, but I am still unsure about how much tolerance there is in the size of the opening.
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/mopp-0402-how-to-install-and-replace-bond-in-glass/

RUNCHARGER

Do you have the rear window trim? If you do I would lay it in there to make sure it fits. The window will fit.
Sheldon

GoMangoBoys

I just dug through all the trim that came with the car and figured out what pieces are for the back window.  It looks like they will fit just fine.

7E-Bodies

I have a quarter sized old repair on mine in the lower right, and just last night I found (with a mirror) under the window bezel (above the package tray) that someone had done some rather nice window bezel repair along the bottom. The rest is solid and nice. I'm mildly tempted to replace it as a new AMD is only $120 or so. Is yours AMD? Are you happy with it?
Also, I've heard other comments here about glass spacers, etc. I'd do some digging on the search engine here to make sure. You also may want to rethink tacking that at the seam. Originally, they are spot welded at the flanges at each side from in the trunk.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

GoMangoBoys

The panel I bought IS an AMD.  I am very happy with it.  I paid $149 I think from Summit Racing.  I did not look elsewhere because the Summit retail store is 20 min away.  I decided to buy it and an hour later had it in my shop.  I am truly blessed (and cursed) to have that place so close by.  They get a lot of my money.

7E-Bodies

How tough was the removal of the original and did it's removal crest structural issues while it was out?  Bracing needed?

GoMangoBoys

The original came out pretty easily.  I cut out the main center portion, leaving the parts around the edge that were spot welded to the car.  I then had easier access to see where each spot weld was.  I had a spot weld cutter that made it easy.  The attached picture is after the center was cut out and the front edge was removed but the back edge was still there.

chargerdon

Just make sure that you install the window trim retainer clips before you reinstall the window.   Once the window is in it is pretty much impossible to then install the clips.    :thinking:

GoMangoBoys

Thank you.  I assume these holes are for the trim retainer clips?  Once my panel is installed, my son will drill these through the new panel from inside the trunk.

7E-Bodies

Ok, I've just been through both quarters (both AMD also) and hadn't welded them to this panel yet, so it should be that much easier to remove. I usually deal with @MoparDave at Roseville. He's good at beating or matching competitors. I may just have him get me one coming. Finding the old repairs wasn't expected and I want this car 100%. Since I'm good with quarter panels and door skins this shouldn't be too tough. I just wanted to make sure no structural issues would happen when I remove it. Never done a Dutchman panel.

7E-Bodies

@chargerdon are you talking about the pins? Because I thought those weren't on 70 models. Mine just has 1/8" holes.

GoMangoBoys

OK.  So I am not sure what I am talking about.  Maybe I will get some of the retainer clips before I drill the holes for them.  I assume the spacing of these clips is not critical?

BFM_Cuda

Quote from: GoMangoBoys on January 06, 2020, 03:46:50 PM
OK.  So I am not sure what I am talking about.  Maybe I will get some of the retainer clips before I drill the holes for them.  I assume the spacing of these clips is not critical?

DO NOT drill the holes for the trim clips without the clips to use for alignment. Also, DO NOT drill from the backside of the panel. The trim clips need to sit in the window channel just right before you drill the mounting holes. There is no adjustment of the clips once you screw them down, and the clip location determines how the trim is going to fit the window channel against the Dutchman, roof and quarter panels.

Look for some pictures on the internet on general spacing around the window channel, you have some leeway there, just stay away from the joints in the trim a few inches.

GoMangoBoys