Main Menu

Sound deadener recommendation

Started by nicka, June 17, 2020, 09:48:43 AM

Previous topic Next topic

nicka

I currently have the quarter panels off the car.  Planning to spray inside the quarter panels with sound deadener.  What spray sound deadener does the group recommend?

Thanks

Burdar

The factory undercoated the inside of the 1/4s before they were installed.  3M makes a good body shutz.  RestoRick also sells a factory correct appearing undercoating.  The main purpose of the undercoating was to add rigidity to the panel.  The 1/4s can be easily dented from the inside out if something in the truck slides into it while going around a corner.  It's the same reason why the inside of the front fenders got undercoated...to protect from rocks denting the fenders from the inside out.

soundcontrol

I used Raptor Liner, (first I have 2K epoxy), looks great and it is very hard, not soft as undercoating.
I did hear that someone said that over time it can crack in seams if you use it under the car though.

GoodysGotaCuda

I used Raptor as well. I like Lizard skin for thermal coating the chassis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

headejm

My vote is for the "Factory Textured Undercoating" from RestoRick. My car is a factory undercoat car and I used his product under my entire car as well as all four wheel wells. Rick is great to work with and an asset to our hobby.  :alan2cents:

nicka

Inside the trunk area along the quarter panel, did Chrysler use the same material(sound deadener) vs the undercoating underneath the car?   Currently working in the trunk area.  The quarters are new AMD. Assuming scuffing the edp for bite and then shoot sound deadener?

headejm

I believe they used the same undercoating on the quarter panels as they used under the car and in the wheel wells. If you are going for an original look, I recommend that you research some trunk photos because there are some unique masking patterns on the quarters. I've looked at a lot of trunk photos and it seems that most are pretty messy looking and no two are exactly alike. Mine are as they came from the factory. Good luck!  :cheers:

Cbridgewater

I am getting ready to replace the passenger rear footwell and will need to touch up the factory undercoating. In an effort to not have it look patched, I want to re-coat remainder of the car. I do not want to strip the original coating. Do you know if I can spray over the top of the original with a good cleaning?

headejm

Yes, that is what I did. Per RestoRick, clean the old undercoating, let it fully dry, mist the old undercoating with lacquer thinner, apply new undercoating over the old. Mine turned out great. I used one gallon of undercoating but could have used one more quart.

Cbridgewater

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: headejm on June 17, 2020, 09:24:40 PM
My vote is for the "Factory Textured Undercoating" from RestoRick. My car is a factory undercoat car and I used his product under my entire car as well as all four wheel wells. Rick is great to work with and an asset to our hobby.  :alan2cents:

:iagree: RestoRick great guy  :bigthumb:

nicka

I was watching last Friday's episode of Graveyard Carz and undercoating came up for Tony/Cindy's 70 Challenger.  Looks like they are using RestoRick's undercoating.  I think they were using ValueGuard previously?  Well, I kept my old 71 Barracuda Quarters from Hamtramck late June build.  You can definitely see a line/curves and places where it was laid thicker.  Looks like it was applied over bare metal.  See attached.

nicka

Ok.  Just ordered one gallon of the Sound deadener thru RestoRick.  He gave me an ebay link for a undercoating gun.  Looks like I'll need to remove the edp coating off the amd sheetmetal and epoxy primer before the sound deadener.

Thanks all

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: nicka on June 29, 2020, 02:16:55 PM
Ok.  Just ordered one gallon of the Sound deadener thru RestoRick.  He gave me an ebay link for a undercoating gun.  Looks like I'll need to remove the edp coating off the amd sheetmetal and epoxy primer before the sound deadener.

Thanks all

Would you really need to remove the black coating before epoxy primer? The point of the epoxy prime is to seal everything up and the coating should be a great base. Is this wrong?

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on June 29, 2020, 02:54:45 PM
Quote from: nicka on June 29, 2020, 02:16:55 PM

Thanks all

Would you really need to remove the black coating before epoxy primer? The point of the epoxy prime is to seal everything up and the coating should be a great base. Is this wrong?

Depends on who you ask, there are varying opinions on the subject. Fundamentally, properly applied EDP coating is permanent and covers the part 100% as a corrosion barrier. I prefer to leave it on wherever possible.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs