Main Menu

What's everybodies welder setup

Started by A.Gramz, January 24, 2017, 03:57:45 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70chall440

for 18 - 22 gauge I use something like 30-35. I use a 1/16 Tungsten and filler. I do generally stitch weld ensuring I have a reasonable amount of distance from one tack to the next to keep the heat down. It is hard not to rush it as the TIG is very slow, but that is why I typically only use it for smaller jobs.

as for the copper plate, the one I have does have magnets around the perimeter, I believe I got it from HF, although I might have ordered it from Eastwood.
Mopar or no car!!!

A.Gramz

Looks like most use a copper backer...  Ill have to give that a try. 

I like welding when I can just Give her.   

Cudakiller70

Quote from: A.Gramz on February 01, 2017, 02:41:28 PM

Dang looks real good! Looks like a seam welder machine did it.
Sheet metal is a bit of an art. Takes a little practice. Especially when you are dealing with heat and warping. Some filler metals are softer and easier to hammer out shrinkage.

Cuda Cody

That's a CLEAN looking weld!   :clapping:

Quote from: A.Gramz on February 01, 2017, 02:41:28 PM

soundcontrol

Quote from: Cudakiller70 on February 01, 2017, 03:06:37 PM
MP&C this guy is a master at body fab and welding.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182565
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53534

Thats where I wanna be in body skills! I'm taking a 3 day course in metal work soon.
Notice in the pictures that he uses a small grinder with no protection shield, I was thinking about removing my shield, but I didn't, thought of what would happen if the disc breaks @20 000rpm's. Do you guys use the shield?

Cuda Cody

I have mine off because it broke, but I use safety glasses.  Still probably better to leave it on if it's not in the way.

Quote from: soundcontrol on February 02, 2017, 03:09:01 AM
Quote from: Cudakiller70 on February 01, 2017, 03:06:37 PM
MP&C this guy is a master at body fab and welding.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182565
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53534
Do you guys use the shield?

70chall440

I know it is not PC, but I immediately remove them or don't install them. I do wear safety glasses (most of the time), but the guards get in the way and I prefer not to use them. Not saying anyone else should follow suit, just answering the question.
Mopar or no car!!!

RUNCHARGER

I agree, I like to have the grinder as parallel to the surface I'm grinding as possible so I run without the guard too. I know it's not the best thing to do though. I do always buy good wheels. I bought some cheap zip cut wheels once and promptly put 3 of them through the ceiling. Needless to say I threw the rest of them in the garbage, lesson learned.

Sheldon
Sheldon

soundcontrol

OK, thats what I thought. I'll take mine off, taking a walk on the wild side!   :D

Cudakiller70

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on February 02, 2017, 11:20:09 AM
I agree, I like to have the grinder as parallel to the surface I'm grinding as possible so I run without the guard too. I know it's not the best thing to do though. I do always buy good wheels. I bought some cheap zip cut wheels once and promptly put 3 of them through the ceiling. Needless to say I threw the rest of them in the garbage, lesson learned.

Sheldon

Yup, buy know brand names of cut off wheels. Also just be-aware of the RPMS your grinder can spin and get cut off wheels and/or grinding discs that match or exceed them.

DetMatt

I just hired a new welder, she should work out just fine...

71GranCoupe

Quote from: DetMatt on February 03, 2017, 03:35:04 PM
I just hired a new welder, she should work out just fine...

Does she have a sister? :yes: