Main Menu

What's everybodies welder setup

Started by A.Gramz, January 24, 2017, 03:57:45 PM

Previous topic Next topic

HP_Cuda

Not that this would be a good place to use this but you could use some wet paste on the thin areas you are welding to keep the heating down to a minimum thus allowing you to try for a continuous weld
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

GoodysGotaCuda

I have an el cheapo Harbor Freight 220v 150a ($170) mig welder. I'd like to replace it, but the stupid thing keeps on working. I've overheated it a few dozen times welding trusses on Jeep axles and it keeps firing up when I need it. I got my money worth out of it years ago now.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Brads70

I have a Lincoln 110v mig welder  that I've had for at least 20 years. Its done a pile of welding and owes me nothing. I also have a Lincoln Invertec V205t tig welder. I like it, it does a nice job, bought it for aluminum.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-gb/equipment/Pages/product.aspx?product=K1855-2(LincolnElectric_EU_Base)

Barracuda7199

Lincoln handy mig setup with 75/25 mix. Works great on sheetmetal and I am pretty much a novice!

RUNCHARGER

I bought this Century 25 years ago when I replaced the quarters on my 69 Hemi GTX. It's still going strong, I like the infinite control settings.

Sheldon
Sheldon

HP_Cuda

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

A.Gramz

All the parts I needed to repair and do the changeover have arrived. What voltage and wire speed for .023 wire everybody using.   When I fell better in a day or two I'll get back out there.  This cold flu thing is killing me. No engery :verymad:

Cuda Cody

If I recall, I use around a 2.5 with at F to G.  But each welder is going to be a little different.  Do some practice welds on scrap sheet metal.  Maybe start off about 30% of wire speed and maybe about 20% to 30% of the dial on heat.  :notsure:

Quote from: A.Gramz on January 31, 2017, 05:48:21 PM
All the parts I needed to repair and do the changeover have arrived. What voltage and wire speed for .023 wire everybody using.   When I fell better in a day or two I'll get back out there.  This cold flu thing is killing me. No engery :verymad:

71GranCoupe

You need to practice on some similar thickness metal to get some hands on and the desired speed and voltages before jumping into working with the new parts.  :alan2cents:

Cudakiller70

Is there a settings chart on the inside of the wire cover? If so it would be a decent place to start. But as Cody said each machine can be a little different.

Blake@diyhemi.com

Lincoln 180HD here (220v) with 75/25 and 0.023 wire. Low angle welds building on puddle just as others have stated.

I also have the Eastwood collar that replicates rosette/spot welds very nicely in appearance but with far better penetration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

soundcontrol

I use a TIG welder, most of my work on the current Challenger is reinforcements, not so much thin metal work, I know the TIG welding gets a bit hot for sheet metal, but I like the control I have over the process. The few patches I have done, I did very slow, used a bit of thick copper behind it and cooled of with compressed air, takes forever though. On the next project, my -73 there will be a lot of patches etc. so I probably get a MIG later also.

70chall440

I have a Miller 120 Autoset, a 220 Autoset and a Diversion 180 TIG. I use the 120 for most sheet metal work, the 220 for heavy things and the TIG for precise work. I have done some sheet metal with the TIG but as noted, it takes a long time but the results are superb.

a copper plate behind sheet metal especially on a butt weld works great; Harbor Freight has them in their welding section cheap.
Mopar or no car!!!

RUNCHARGER

I always keep copper pipe in the shop. I cut it and shape it as needed for backing up welds.

Sheldon
Sheldon

soundcontrol

Quote from: 70chall440 on February 01, 2017, 12:28:20 PM
I have a Miller 120 Autoset, a 220 Autoset and a Diversion 180 TIG. I use the 120 for most sheet metal work, the 220 for heavy things and the TIG for precise work. I have done some sheet metal with the TIG but as noted, it takes a long time but the results are superb.

a copper plate behind sheet metal especially on a butt weld works great; Harbor Freight has them in their welding section cheap.

When you TIG sheet metal, what setting do you use, amp, pulse or not, tip size, filler size? Do you tack or stich weld? I find myself getting a bit hastily and welding too much on one spot. I also saw some welding videos that proves the heat build more with lower amps, because of the time factor, but its a fine line between getting a puddle quick and burning a hole...
Another thing I need to figure out is a good way to hold my thick copper plate behind, was thinking of screwing a few magnets on it or something.