Main Menu

Barrett Jackson 2018, anyone there?

Started by Cuda Cody, January 18, 2018, 03:05:23 PM

Previous topic Next topic

rocketresto

Quote from: VCODE on January 20, 2018, 04:49:54 PM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 20, 2018, 02:26:18 PM
Did you see the car in person?  Was there something wrong with it?

What's the story on the 70 Hemi Challenger (oragne) that just sold at BJ for $135K?

Also what about lot 1401 Red Hemi Cuda $175?

Was behind ropes so couldn't get a good look.  Most of the Hemi E-Bodies were.  The Black 71 Challenger is nice but the poor thing is being passed around everywhere the last few years.  Greg Nelson cashed in on that car at Russo a year or two ago and it keeps on being auctioned off.  Spent most of the day at Russo - Wing cars are going INSANE!  The "barn find" daytona went for $170k.  Original owner car but needs a complete restoration.
Rocket Restorations
Olympia, Washington

6bblgt

Quote from: rocketresto on January 20, 2018, 08:52:27 PMThe Black 71 Challenger is nice but the poor thing is being passed around everywhere the last few years.  Greg Nelson cashed in on that car at Russo a year or two ago and it keeps on being auctioned off.

Greg sold a black 4-speed HEMI R/T at R-S AZ '14 for $275K - this isn't it

there are at least 5 HEMI 4-speed 1971 Challenger R/Ts painted black keeping them straight is difficult  :looney:
- this car has been for sale, for what seems like "forever", I have eBay, craigslist & auction pictures from 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017 & now 2018
- I do not know if it has changed hands in that time frame  :dunno:

rocketresto

Oops my mistake.  Hard enough to keep track of thecars here let alone in the world!  It had a big sign on it saying it was the only original paint 71 hemi Challenger, so that's not true?
Rocket Restorations
Olympia, Washington

6bblgt

just in the above picture  :rubeyes: I see .....

"DODGE" emblems on hood
"Challenger R/T" emblems on the fender in 1970's location
wheel lip mouldings on a car with a "HEMI FENDER" tag - usually there is nothing to attach 1/2 the moulding to  :dunno:

JH27N0B

Quote from: rocketresto on January 20, 2018, 10:09:44 PM
Oops my mistake.  Hard enough to keep track of thecars here let alone in the world!  It had a big sign on it saying it was the only original paint 71 hemi Challenger, so that's not true?
I can think at least 2 off the top of my head.  Greg Nelson had (has?) a gunmetal gray one, and there is a GK9 one that sold at Mecum a few years ago for over $600K, and there are probably more original paint ones I don't know about.

RzeroB

Quote from: 6bblgt on January 20, 2018, 10:30:41 PM
wheel lip mouldings on a car with a "HEMI FENDER" tag - usually there is nothing to attach 1/2 the moulding to  :dunno:

Don't mean to get off topic ... but what is the deal with that?? I use to think that I could use that as a possible discriminator to help separate the clones from the real deal cars but I have noticed at least a dozen or so real Hemi E-bodies with wheel lip mouldings?? Owner preference?? Factory screw up??
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

6bblgt

the black B-J HEMI R/T has been advertised as the ONLY "BLACK" HEMI R/T with original paint - some of the other "BLACK" HEMI R/Ts have also made the original paint claim (or partial original paint)

hemi'cudas & HEMI Challenger R/Ts with wheel lip mouldings  :thinking: too many variables/owner preferences/factory mistakes/time/restorations to make an answer "SIMPLE"

716bbl

The TX9 71 R code Challenger.
Is not all original paint.
I know the Guy that bought it in Joplin, Mo. in 1975.
It went to KC.
Then sold to another friend that kept it maybe 2 years.
Then went to St. Louis to Bill G.
After that it went to Zanesville, Ohio and was owned by a female Enthusiast.
It was in Texas for a while.
The passenger sail panel had a dent in it, so it had been repainted there.
It had a 70 TA hood on it in '75.
The second Owner in KC put a 70 steel R/T hood on it in around 78.
Nobody cared so much about the correct year hood back then.
I looked at it in 78-79-80 and could have bought it.
I thought it was rough then.  You can only massage a turd so long.
I feel sorry for the uninformed that probably over pays for it.
You would think these Auction Companies would care about representing
Cars they are selling, like the wrong hood.
Mechanically, the heads have been changed , the carbs are not original, the trans has been switched.
I can give you the number of the Guy that went to Joplin to pick it up with the Owner.
Hope this helps. :stop:

wolfpack

Great event . I purchased the 73 Plum crazy cuda with 440. Time to do some work to it now.

303 Mopar

Quote from: wolfpack on January 25, 2018, 11:52:15 AM
Great event . I purchased the 73 Plum crazy cuda with 440. Time to do some work to it now.

Congrats on the beautiful Cuda!  And welcome to the forum!   :banana:

Cudajason

Quote from: 303 Mopar on January 25, 2018, 12:00:58 PM
Quote from: wolfpack on January 25, 2018, 11:52:15 AM

Congrats on the beautiful Cuda!  And welcome to the forum!   :banana:

yeah what he said.

Where in Ontario are you @wolfpack ? There are a number of us in the province!

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

wolfpack

anlauto

Whoa...You guys are like neighbors    :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cudajason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Cuda Cody

:veryexcited:  Congratulations on your new Cuda @wolfpack    :banana:  FC7 is a perfect color on a Cuda!   :wowzers: