Main Menu

barrett-jackson weekend auction madness

Started by chargerdon, January 21, 2019, 11:34:27 AM

Previous topic Next topic

chargerdon

Several hours of Barrett Jackson auctions from final day.    Have all of the cars skyrocketed in price or is Barrett jackson loaded with billionaires that have nothing else to do but, pay exhorbitant prices and dont care how high they are?   

I routinely record all of the Barrett Jackson and Mecum auctions, and then fast forward thru 95% of it.   What i saw was insanity...   ALL CHEVIES started at 100K and went up...  doesn't matter if it was an untouched survivor, or "all original" with "all original miles" (can someone please tell me what is a non-original mile?), or a restomod or just a well restored car...they all went for over 100K.   There were also lots of mopars going in the mid 150's again, all original or period correct engine, or restomod, didn't seem to matter.   So long as the paint is nice and shiny under the florescent lighting (under florescent on TV they all shine) again prices were all in the 100+   

I know the weekend they save all of the high end restorations and creations, but, still a lot of them looked like 30-40K cars...that went into the 100's.    Insanity or is the classic car market going way up again? 

anlauto

It's just the reality of our hobby....no longer a poor mans hobby... :crying:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Desmond

dodj

Quote from: anlauto on January 21, 2019, 11:55:35 AM
It's just the reality of our hobby....no longer a poor mans hobby... :crying:
Ain't that the truth.  :bricks:

When I see the asking/auction prices, I keep thinking, I swapped a $300 rifle for mine.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

Quote from: Desmond on January 23, 2019, 02:19:46 PM
https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1970-PLYMOUTH-CUDA-225593

$77,000 (after commission) didn't seem like a lot of money for what it is.

Fair deal, but a bench seat column auto likely held it back quite a bit :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

750-h2

In the description they say its an older restoration, That tells me that in person the car likely looks a little rough.

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: chargerdon on January 21, 2019, 11:34:27 AM
Several hours of Barrett Jackson auctions from final day.    Have all of the cars skyrocketed in price or is Barrett jackson loaded with billionaires that have nothing else to do but, pay exhorbitant prices and dont care how high they are?   

I routinely record all of the Barrett Jackson and Mecum auctions, and then fast forward thru 95% of it.   What i saw was insanity...   ALL CHEVIES started at 100K and went up...  doesn't matter if it was an untouched survivor, or "all original" with "all original miles" (can someone please tell me what is a non-original mile?), or a restomod or just a well restored car...they all went for over 100K.   There were also lots of mopars going in the mid 150's again, all original or period correct engine, or restomod, didn't seem to matter.   So long as the paint is nice and shiny under the florescent lighting (under florescent on TV they all shine) again prices were all in the 100+   

I know the weekend they save all of the high end restorations and creations, but, still a lot of them looked like 30-40K cars...that went into the 100's.    Insanity or is the classic car market going way up again?

I find that Mecum is a little more down to earth. I enjoy watching BJ but I too shake my head over that stuff. I've seen recently auctions where stupid plain Jane Novas were selling for more than C2 convertible Corvettes. Doesn't make sense to me. I assume it's just what's hot today.

We went to the mecum show in LA last year and even bid on a couple cars. It was a Friday so crowds were smaller. We saw a lot of cool cars change hands for very fair prices.

Rich G.

And this is why $500.00 junk cost $5000.00 now! You can fix it up and get 100K for it. Yep, right after you put 100K into it!