Main Menu

Mopar Nationals - Columbus 8/9/19...Opinions

Started by 7E-Bodies, July 17, 2019, 02:51:11 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

Wanting to hear opinions on the Columbus Ohio show next month.  Compared to Carlisle as a percentage perhaps. I've been to Carlisle (2017) and am considering...if it's even close to being as good. Plus? Minus?
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

1 Wild R/T

I attended once, I won't bother to go again....

Ric

anlauto

Is that show still going on ? It sucks... :alan2cents: There is NO comparison to Carlisle
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

7E-Bodies

Sounds like it may not be a big hit. Lol. So far, the comments are saving me money and time. 
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

anlauto

Talked to a couple of vendors at Carlisle that will no longer go to that show....so that just shows you it's on the decline. I heard they didn't even publish a program for 2018  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Rich G.

Last time I was there was about 5 yrs ago. It's definitely no Carlisle but I think it's worth going to to take it off your bucket list. If you're into racing the track is right in the middle of the show field. I'm sure you're going to see different things that you don't see in PA. I don't know if they still cruise around on Brice rd. like years ago. That was nice back then. I'd give it a 6 out of 10 . Englishtown Mopar show if you remember them a few years ago would be a 1 if that. Talk about going downhill!! But like is said it's been a while so who knows. Only one way to find out.

Spikedog08

I haven’t been in many years, got run over by a golf cart one year, knocked me on me ass.  I hear that the far side of the track is not for judging anymore and is now just spectator parking . .  . Kind of sad, back in the day, it was the to go to show! 
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Burdar

Do we have to do this EVERY year?

It isn't nearly as big as it used to be but I still have a great time every year.  It's still a large Mopar show...not many of those to begin with.

The parking areas to the east and south of the track were sold and they are now farm fields.  National Trail Raceway doesn't have a national event any more so they didn't need all that space. They still needed extra parking for the Nat's though, so the area that was once the "judged area" is now parking.  Less and less people are interested in having their cars "judged".  For years, that side of the show was shrinking.  It was almost not even worth the time to walk all the way over there.  The "fun field" is still full of cars.

I hear the "night life" is starting to pick up again.  You just need to know where to go.

If anyone here is going, I'm looking for any used engine parts that you might not be using.  I don't want anything "good" that can be used again.  Looking for just parts that might be sitting in your scrap pile.  (used timing chains/gears, junk camshafts, junk pistons/rods, BB timing covers exc...)

shadango

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on July 17, 2019, 02:51:11 PM
Wanting to hear opinions on the Columbus Ohio show next month.  Compared to Carlisle as a percentage perhaps. I've been to Carlisle (2017) and am considering...if it's even close to being as good. Plus? Minus?

Comparison is tough...two different shows.  I had gone to Carlisle 8 years in a row and finally decided to try Ohio Nats after someone said "you have to check it out at least once".

We usually go to Carlisle, went to Ohio nats last year.

At Carlisle -- cars on the show field are parked by groups -- ebodies, b bodies etc.  We take 2 or 3 cars and that means we are all split up across the field. That stinks.  At the Ohio Nats for "fun field" you park "wherever" in that area so we can be parked side by side on the showfield.  I prefer this to the "groups" at Carlisle.  Ohio Nats wins on that front IMHO.  But its cool also to be in a large group of cars just like your own to compare notes readily.  AT calrlisle you can be awarded a plaque in your class based on ballots people submit (I won 3rd place this year on my Cuda)...at Nats the only way to "win" anything as far as I know is to be in the separate "judged" area and that is even more $$$   Soooo.....not sure which I truly prefer.

There is ON SITE racing at the Nats, and its all day, plenty of seating ....whereas if you want to see racing at Carlisle, there is one night and its a drive away from the main grounds...we did that ONCE , had our show car with us and it was a mess....had to bounce down through a rough grass field and then no seating because we go there around the time things were to start versus hours before like other folks.  Hands down, Ohio Nats wins on that.

Carlisle is less pricey to be on the showfield, offers discounts etc.  Their site is much better organized than the Ohio nats.

Carlisle has a much larger parts area.....Id guess that its at least 3 times the size of Ohio Nats. That said, I didnt find a ton of stuff I needed or wanted at Carlisle this year, nor did I find much at the Nats last year....LOL.....

Carlisle says that the event is Friday thru sunday but sunday is basically a wash -- vendors start packing late saturday and this year we walked around at 10 am and there were almost no vendors left.  Ohio Nats it seemed like people stuck around longer, though the parts area is much smaller.

So really I think its just a matter of what you prefer etc.

Not sure if we will do Carlisle next year or the Nats.

Had thought about doing both, but its a considerable expense to take cars, book hotels etc for both.

Oh yeah....it seems like hotel accomadations are more available around Carlisle than the Nats as far as variety....tons of hotels near the fairgrounds, if you can get a reservation....a little pricey too....they know they have a captive audience...LOL...we actually stay some 20 minutes outside of Carlisle and get a great rate. For the Ohip Nats, there is nothing close to the event...EVERYTHING is 20-30 minutes away. I had a hard time finding an affordable hotel/motel but did eventually.

Hope this helps.

chargerdon

Back in 2006 when i was restoring a 66 Charger (way harder to find parts for it than our e bodies), i went to both shows.    I thought at that time they were very similar.   Mostly had the same New parts vendors, and a lot of different used vendors.

Both had nice show cars, tho, Carlisle has a bigger indoor "high end display" area.

One thing i loved was that at Ohio they had a drag strip there, and the racing was near continuous and included in the entry ticket. 

No idea what it is like today.. 

Burdar

Very honest and fair review @shadango:bigthumb:

For the Nat's I stay west of Columbus.  The price per night is usually around $50. (way less than if you stayed close) It's only a 1/2 hour drive to the track and I'm a little closer to home when I leave Sunday morning.  There are lots of hotels closer to the track.  The main places now are Heath and Buckeye Lake.  Both towns are only about 10 minutes away.  You have to make your reservations early and expect to pay high prices though.

I know someone who vends at both shows every year.  Carlisle used to be his big money maker.  The swap meet has gotten so big there, that the Nats is now his best money maker. 

Rich G.

Thanks @shadango , someone finally agrees with me on the parking situation in Carlisle! LOL

anlauto

I've done the Nats 15 times and Carlisle 27 times.

I don't enjoy the confusion of the Nats, I'm not a drag racing fan, so the constant noise all day also annoys me.

I like the controlled atmosphere of Carlisle, clean washrooms and good food.

It comes down to cost for me as well...after getting married and having kids I really cut myself down to one major car show trip for the year and the decision was an easy one for me. Carlisle.

Good point was brought up. The Nats is one of very few Mopar only shows left, so you should just get out and enjoy it while it lasts. If I was close by, like an hour or so away...I would be going.

I try to get to every local Mopar show we have here in Ontario. If you want something new, try Moparfest...

70chall440

I attended the Nats a few years ago, but have never been to Carlisle; that said, the Nats was interesting and found the swap meet to be quite large. Whether you should go or not really depends on you, if I lived closer to it I would probably go every year, not necessarily because its so great but because it is a large Mopar show. Same deal with spring and fall fling in LA; great to see at least once. 
Mopar or no car!!!