Main Menu

Are there any 'mistakes' you prefer over correctness?

Started by Flatdad, May 21, 2020, 06:24:03 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on May 22, 2020, 07:53:55 PM
I quite often swim against the tide. The 71 B-bodies are the best for me as well. The 68-70's are the most popular but I like the more modern feel of the 71's, the similar to E-body styling, along with the crazy amount of options available before everything dropped out in 72.

:iagree: I far prefer the 71  B bodies to the 68-70

Squire Edgar

Quote from: Burdar on May 22, 2020, 05:38:23 AM
QuoteMine are geared to the frowny face cars as I own one...  Embrace the Rallye!

Then please stop referring to it as a "frowny face" car.  I hate hearing that.  They have never looked that way to me. :alan2cents:

I've owned both  a 70 Challenger and now a 73 Challenger and I've never understood the frown face description. I just don't see it. :dunno:

Rich G.

Get rid of those damn rubber bumper guards or what I call bumper boobs on the 73-4 . Can't tell you how many times I've walked into them! Of course I just spent a fortune finding them and restoring them on the 73 I just finished. And then immediately walked into them!

anlauto

Funny, a lot of the factory "mistakes" that are listed here, for me, it drives me nuts if I see them corrected in a car that has been restored. Especially when people add radial tires on a "restored" car, or my personal pet peeve is when people apply the seam sealer in a nice neat straight line... :pullinghair:  It was sloppy....that's what's cool about these cars, they were NEVER perfect... :console:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mr Lee

Quote from: 71383bee on May 22, 2020, 06:40:38 AM
Quote from: Bullitt- on May 22, 2020, 06:01:39 AM
I prefer the chromed 15" magnum wheels to the 14" w/trim ring my car came with

That's funny!  I actually prefer the opposite!  I'm going to be selling the 15x7 magnum 500's to back to the 14x6's. Are those trim rings available?

This is a fun post!  The thing of it is everyone has got a little different style but a common thread I see is that the changes were either offered or close to original tweaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree.  I like the trim ring on the magnum but I put it on a 15x8 rim

Also will note the my brother has a 73 Challenger and I never thought it looked like a frown face.  I guess I can understand why people don't like the term cause its a cool looking car.

Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

71383bee

Quote from: Mr Lee on May 23, 2020, 06:32:43 AM
Quote from: 71383bee on May 22, 2020, 06:40:38 AM
Quote from: Bullitt- on May 22, 2020, 06:01:39 AM
I prefer the chromed 15" magnum wheels to the 14" w/trim ring my car came with

That's funny!  I actually prefer the opposite!  I'm going to be selling the 15x7 magnum 500's to back to the 14x6's. Are those trim rings available?

This is a fun post!  The thing of it is everyone has got a little different style but a common thread I see is that the changes were either offered or close to original tweaks.

I agree.  I like the trim ring on the magnum but I put it on a 15x8 rim

Also will note the my brother has a 73 Challenger and I never thought it looked like a frown face.  I guess I can understand why people don't like the term cause its a cool looking car.

Hey flat dad.  I've commented before I love the 15 road wheels you have they look great! 

73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

318Stroker

Quote from: worthywads on May 22, 2020, 08:28:02 PM
Challengers without woodgrain insert on inner door panel.  My convertible was early 70 without and it just looked wrong.

:iagree: It's not a good look with the woodgrain missing.

kawahonda

Quote from: Squire Edgar on May 22, 2020, 10:41:41 PM
Quote from: Burdar on May 22, 2020, 05:38:23 AM
QuoteMine are geared to the frowny face cars as I own one...  Embrace the Rallye!

Then please stop referring to it as a "frowny face" car.  I hate hearing that.  They have never looked that way to me. :alan2cents:

I've owned both  a 70 Challenger and now a 73 Challenger and I've never understood the frown face description. I just don't see it. :dunno:

It's not hard to see.....the 72-74 literally look unhapy when you look at them from the front. Everyone sees it, not everyone is bothered about it. :)

Frown face challengers are cool, but it's quite clear that the Chevy Vega/Pinto grille styling of the grille hurts the value. It can be partially corrected by leaving off the chrome trim that outlines the frown and helps to blend it in better.

This picture is what comes to mind every time I see a 72-74 Challenger grille. I just can't unsee it.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

anlauto

Quote from: kawahonda on May 23, 2020, 11:25:06 AM

This picture is what comes to mind every time I see a 72-74 Challenger grille. I just can't unsee it.

Ohh that's a sad comparison...our beloved Mopars being compared to  Chevy Vega....ouch.... :'(

headejm

:iagree: The Vega is in the top 10 worst cars ever made. Unlined aluminum block guaranteed to be toast by 75,000 miles. Good looking body though.

benlavigne

To reverse the question asked to introduce the subject: One of the pet peeves I have is seeing people purchasing an expensive rproduction battery to make their under hood look authentic, and leaving the modern ''Warning'' tag on the positive post!
Or one of those batteries sittng next to a polished aluminium radiator... I understand they work better, but at least paint it black so it blends in better if everything else is stock-appearing...
There, I feel better now...  :D

Ben

anlauto

Ben, I thought you were going to mention rear spoilers being installed backwards ;) :bigthumb:

benlavigne

Quote from: anlauto on May 24, 2020, 06:51:15 AM
Ben, I thought you were going to mention rear spoilers being installed backwards ;) :bigthumb:

That one will always remain a mystery... that picture is definitely from when the car had just arrived at the dealership...
But I won't replicate it, for sure!
Funny story, a couple of weeks ago, I noticed one of the special nut-within-a-nut that holds the spoiler was a little bit loose, and as I was pulling out tools, I was thinking, maybe I could take this opportunity to turn it around... NOT!

Ben

PLY474

Quote from: headejm on May 23, 2020, 08:53:33 PM
:iagree: The Vega is in the top 10 worst cars ever made. Unlined aluminum block guaranteed to be toast by 75,000 miles. Good looking body though.

(Off Topic) Auto History Fun Fact - Vega's were shipped by rail vertically, nose down.