Main Menu

How do you tie down your car - enclosed trailer?

Started by torredcuda, September 17, 2021, 01:30:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

torredcuda

I just made the first run with the cuda in my enclosed trailer after upgrading from an open bed one and wanted to know how others tie down thier cars inside. With my open I ran two straps from the k-frame to the front and two axle straps to the back, not straight, not X`ed,  just a slight angle and never had an issue. I have eight tie down points in my enclosed just inboard of the wheels width wise, I can X the front straps but my axle straps will only work straight back. Should I be worried about the car moving side to side wit the rear not X`ed, not worry about it or tie it to the rear of the car in a different location?
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

GoodysGotaCuda

I did the front straps straight, rear had one X and two rear straps going straight [4]. Probably overkill but the car never moved a millimeter cross-country.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

cuda hunter

I front K framed.
Rear X'd.  Almost in an accident and the rear slid sideways 4" and caused the metal on the back of the hook to rub enough to open the gas tank.   Straps and then hooks to the attachment points. 
On the way home I changed my straps to way better straps and I X'd the rear and straight strapped the rear. Not overkill at all.  No shifting
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

torredcuda

Where/how do you attach your straps to the rear for the X, if I try that with my axle straps they will slide towards the pumpkin and I don`t think that would be very secure from moving?

cuda hunter

They actually both slide up to the pumpkin.  One has to go under the brake line. 
I was thinking about welding a loop on each side of the axle on the rear.  I can't stand slinging around the axle to hold the car.  I would prefer real metal rings to hook to on the car. 
  after putting a hole in my gas tank from a slight slide I'm super paranoid and want to do something more than just sling straps.
  I will say that good straps made a difference in strapping it down.  I purchased all new gear from a vendor at Carlisle. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

MoparLeo

To minimize movement during transport the companies always tried to tie down the chassis never the suspension. E-bodies came with transport hook brackets attached to the rear chassis/frame rails. This eliminates the possibility of the car swaying or moving side to side. They are simple bolt on brackets that have a hole to attach hook/tie strap/chain. If you attach to the tires or suspension parts the car is free to rock and sway. Look at the way that new cars are attached to the transport trucks if you want to see the best way. Holes in the chassis rail and chains that attach to the holes and are pulled down tight.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

cuda hunter

So would you tighten the body of the car down so much that it squats or bottoms out the rear suspension? 

Seems like that would cause some movement.  I've got a few of those brackets. 

anlauto

We do have a resident expert in the field of automotive transportation, why don't we ask Bill his opinion ? @Bills Auto Works  :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Bills Auto Works

Quote from: anlauto on September 19, 2021, 05:25:06 PM
We do have a resident expert in the field of automotive transportation, why don't we ask Bill his opinion ? @Bills Auto Works  :drinkingbud:

Hello Alan,

I have the standard 4 D rings in the enclosed trailer & I always use the soft "over the axle straps with the ratchet tie downs attached to them. I always criss-cross front & back. Rears go over the axle on each side of the pumpkin being careful not to crush or bend a brake line, the front goes on the lower control arm & I NEVER suck the body down...That is a good way to loosen or break a ratchet or strap. I also leave the winch attached to the front as a 5th just as a safety.

This way has always worked for me & with 38 year/4 million accident free miles.....I ain't changing a thing!!!! :D

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/
YOUR QUALITY MOPAR TRANSPORTER SINCE 1983!

70vert

So, no much help I know but I've seen where a guy on FB sells plates to bolt on to the rear spring U-bolts that have a provision to hook the tie-down strap to (or possibly wrap it thru the plate). Not sure how good/useful they are. Might be able to find them on eBay.

torredcuda

Quote from: MoparLeo on September 19, 2021, 04:31:19 PM
To minimize movement during transport the companies always tried to tie down the chassis never the suspension. E-bodies came with transport hooks attached to the rear chassis/frame rails. This eliminates the possibility of the car swaying or moving side to side. They are simple bolt on bracekts that ha a hole to attach hook/tie strap/chain.

I`ve always seen vehicles tied down to the body/frame but recently I`ve seen more use of straps that go around the tires that allow the suspension to move freely. I don`t have the factory brackets on my car but I guess I could add them.

Rich G.

I got a crazy question. If the cars come from the factory with those brackets on the rear frame rail why doesn't anyone use them if that is what they say they are? I wouldn't trust them either, just wondering why they're even there.

JS29

Rollback or flatbed car carrier's have the straps that rap around the tire's. A-W direct, Zips or any place that sells towing equipment can supply the plates and straps.   :alan2cents:

JH27N0B

Quote from: Rich G. on September 20, 2021, 06:13:17 AM
I got a crazy question. If the cars come from the factory with those brackets on the rear frame rail why doesn't anyone use them if that is what they say they are? I wouldn't trust them either, just wondering why they're even there.
I'm far from an expert, I'm in the market for my first enclosed trailer and have a lot to learn myself.
However, I've heard it said before that the factory tie down brackets should not be used when trailering a car.  I heard stories of brackets being torn off the frame while transporting when the trailer hits bumps in the road.
Why this wasn't an issue when the cars were new I don't know.  Maybe train transport train cars and car hauler semi trailers are so heavy and stabile that the car doesn't get bounced up and down any and therefore not much vertical force on those tie down brackets?

cuda hunter

I've used uhaul trailers for around 3 dozen or more car tows.  I have nad nothing but good luck with the over the tire straps.  Only one time have I had a strap come loose.  I blame the ratchet strap mechanism on that one.  I have been considering installing the over the tire straps.    The main problem I have now is that the over the tire straps won't fit on my barracuda as the rear tires are 29" and I can't fit a sheet of paper in there.