Main Menu

Pictures of Nascar ,Trans Am /Road racing Mopars

Started by Brads70, February 26, 2017, 07:42:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

Carson Baird IMSA road racer

Chryco Psycho

MOPAR MITCH

I've always thought the Silver colored 'Cudas were an excellent choice color!  I'm pretty sure that picture was taken at IRP (Indpls Raceway Park's road course).

The silver AAR was driven by Sid Rust in the early-mid-70s .. he purchased the Gurney/Savage AAR from the local Indianapolis Goodyear dealer.

A story about this car when it ran at Road America one year... ~early-mid-70s (GT1 class, I believe):  A friend of mine was running his ~70 Camaro (GT1 class) in the same class... but he had a very short rear gear ~4.11-4.56 or so... was maxed out running out of RPMs down the fastest stretch... doing about 120 mph...  he saw the silver 'Cuda AAR of Sid Rust rapidly approaching from behind early in the race (~first lap or so)... Sid's "Cuda pulled along side of the Camaro... Sid waived at him.. and shifted into 4th gear .. and sped further away from the slow running Camaro.  They later talked and laughed about it.... Bye-bye!

gzig5

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 17, 2020, 10:07:31 PM
:burnout:
That is one of my favorite pics I've found.   My car is originally Silver Frost and will return to that color, likely with the AAR stripe.  Already have the hood. I think the '73 silver is a bit darker than the 70 but I like them both.   I don't know if I can bring myself to sport those fender flares, but they aren't hideous.

Chryco Psycho

MOPAR MITCH

The road race AAR/T/A fender flares are purpose-made for the race cars... common of that era.... personally, I've always liked fender flares when done aesthetically.... adds beauty and function!   I wish Ma-Mopar would've made the fenders/lips more accommodating to larger tires (perhaps with more radius).

EB3-GranCoupe

New pic from the Caldwell garage....

EB3-GranCoupe

gzig5,
There were several 'silver' colors at that time, some used on e-bodies, and some not.  EA4 and EA9 would have been offered in 1970, and in fact several RT/SE's were 999 paint code EA9's.  There may be several EA4 examples that exist, one maybe identified as Dick Landy's personal car.  Here are two examples, one of each it appears:

https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/colorsExt/colorsExt-999.shtml

GA4 was offered in '71 & '72, and JA5 in '73 & '74 for e-bodies.

Quite a rare color back then, as opposed to today where almost every other car on the road is some form of silver.

gzig5

My 73 Cuda is definitely JA5, shown on the tag and build sheet.  I've seen a couple shades that are supposed to be that, but are slightly different from each other.  Could be the lighting I guess.  I think this one below is about right, or at least looks like the original paint I've uncovered on mine.

Speaking of flares, they are growing on me a bit.

EB3-GranCoupe

David Pearson at Pikes Peak, 1965:

Brads70

Back when they actually were "stock cars" for the most part....

Brads70

Recent acquisition of Chris Brown. 

340challconvert

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

Brads70

Kinda surprised they haven't produced a diecast of this one yet? It is a pretty infamous ride....

340challconvert

Teacher's Pet; a personal favorite of mine. A local NJ guy who loves mid 60's Mopar wedges   :stayinlane:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible