Main Menu

Random Hemi E-Body of the Week

Started by RzeroB, August 02, 2017, 07:48:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RzeroB

How about one more "sleigh" before Christmas? Check out this red on red Hemi Challenger RT with a snow white top and butt stripe. With it's bright red body trimmed with white, and Hemi power to rocket this "sleigh" from 0 to 60 by the end of the roof, this Hemi Challenger RT looks as if it was custom made for Santa!! 

This is one of my favorite ones ... but one that I really do not have a lot of info on or pictures of ... in fact this is the ONLY picture that I have of it. This is JS23R0B173261. It is 1 of about 287 made for the U.S. market, and of those 1 of 137 with a 4-speed. It is finished in FE5 Bright-Red with a V9W white Bumble-Bee stripe, a V1W white vinyl top and a H6E4 red vinyl interior. A very striking and attractive combination!!

In 2011 I found a sales ad for this car from when it was in Las Vegas. I copied the picture and the link to the ad, but I didn't copy the entire ad itself. Of course the link is now dead and all that I have is this picture and some notes that I wrote down pertaining to the car. Per the ad this car is equipped with the A34 Super-Track-Pack 4:10 geared Dana Axle pkg, B51 Power Disc Brakes, a G33 Chrome LH mirror and S77 Power Steering among other things.

Purportedly there were only FOUR red on red Hemi Challenger RTs made in 1970. Three of them are solid Bright-Red while this one is the only one that breaks up all that red with a vinyl top. Two are automatics, and two of them are 4-speeds as is this one. VIN-wise this is the first one and it supposedly sold new out of Salt Lake City Utah. The second one an automatic, was sold new here in St Louis MO. It was here with the same owner for nearly 40 years before it recently sold and from what I heard, headed off to a new home in California. The third, also a 4-speed, sold new out of Pasadena TX. It has been restored, featured in MCG and is currently a proud featured display in a Texas Dodge Dealership's showroom. The fourth and final car sold new out of Ohio, but currently resides here in St Louis MO. It is an original unrestored survivor and has been in the same family for over 40 years being passed down from father to son.

As for 173261, it's pretty distinctive car that should be easily recognized by it's unique combination of being one of four red on red Hemi Challengers and the ONLY one of them with a white vinyl top. As distinctive as it is ... it's been kind of an enigma. The aforementioned ad is the only time that I have ever seen it. It's out there somewhere ... but where ... and with who? If you have any pics or update info that you would like to share ... please do! Enjoy ... and have a Merry Christmas!!
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

71REDCUDA

Does anyone recognize this TX9 Hemicuda? TX9-H6X9-D32-V1X

RzeroB

:thinking: I have no idea. :notsure:

To further narrow it down it looks like it has A21, A32 (I see a Dana with that auto), G31, G33, M26 wheel well mouldings (early build car) and is radio delete (I don't see an antennae)
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

6bblgt

:thinking: wasn't there a recent thread, a year or two ago, about a black barn find hemi'cuda that was in the UK since the mid/late-'70s? or was that a repaint from blue?

:takealook: also the car has "no-size" Polyglas GTs - should have a SPD prior to December '69

the A21 or A22 bumper packages included the dual racing mirrors  :alan2cents:

Jimlt4383

Hi, new member. 1971 hemicuda convertible at Ron Adair's in Michigan. Photo from 1985. Don't  remember the vin.

Jimlt4383

Purchased by a member of the Qatar royal family when new. Would love to see a picture of it when it was new.

Cuda Cody

Welcome to t he site @Jimlt4383   Thanks for sharing the photos.  :veryexcited:

Chryco Psycho

Welcome to the site , interesting pictures !!

6bblgt

IF this hemi'cuda was EV2 "tor red" & IF it had elastomeric bumpers, front & rear - it would look just like the "Sand 'cuda" did when new  :yes:

6bblgt

Quote from: Jimlt4383 on January 02, 2020, 09:07:31 PM
Hi, new member. 1971 hemicuda convertible at Ron Adair's in Michigan. Photo from 1985. Don't  remember the vin.

here is a more recent pic of BS27R1B327882  :takealook:

Ebody Edgar

Mylars for 1st built last sold 1971 Hemi Challenger and 2nd to last built 1971 Hemi Challeneger

Jimlt4383

Thanks for the welcome and the replies. BS23R0B242385  female owner last 20 years. 4 sleep, 4.10 car.

Jimlt4383

Quote from: RzeroB on June 28, 2019, 06:54:06 PM
Black ... black and white ... the basics are timeless and never seem to go out of style. On that note, how about a black (and white) '70 Hemi Challenger RT to go with the 'Cuda's that were recently shown??

JS23R0B309966 is 1 of only 287 made for the U.S. market, and of those 1 of 150 with an automatic. It is finished in TX9 Black set off with a starkly contrasting V9W white Bumble Bee stripe and a H6XW white interior.

Built in mid April 1970, this Hemi Challenger RT is said to be one of the first to come from the factory with the redesigned N96 Shaker hood. Per the seller, it is claimed to be one of only 14 '70 Hemi Challenger RT's factory equipped with the N96 Shaker hood. I don't know the accuracy of that claim as I have seen the number vary considerably from 14. Maybe someone more in the know like Dan P might give us a better idea of just how many might have came with this option?

Inside the H6XW white interior contrasts sharply with the black interior components and the TX9 Black exterior paint.

Under the hood, and the Shaker dome, the mighty Hemi resides. Behind it is a Hemi Torqueflite and out back is the stout A32 Super Performance 4:10 geared Dana Axle Pkg. The Torqueflite makes it easy to apply the Hemi's prodigenous power - stomp your right foot down and this Challenger is GONE!! Fortunately it is also equipped with the B51 Power Disc Brakes and S77 Power Steering to help you control the rampaging beast!!

With all of the nice things that this '70 Hemi Challenger RT has going for it, striking black and white appearance, factory Shaker, original Broadcast sheet, etc., ... something is holding it back in the sales value department. Last year at Mecum's fall Las Vegas auction this Hemi Challenger RT hammer sold for a seemingly low $115,500. Is it the automatic? Maybe the non-matching numbers engine under the hood? Who knows?

MaxMotive out of Pittsburgh PA bought the car at the Mecum auction and they now have it for sale ... of course it's a lot more than what it sold for at auction, but it still seems "reasonable" at $149,426 for such a nice looking Hemi Challenger RT.

I know what you are thinking ... you're thinking "that IS a nice looking Hemi Challenger RT AND the price doesn't seem that unreasonable (especially compared to a similar HemiCuda)" It has it's original Broadcast sheet, it IS a factory Shaker car, and you got to admit, it IS a sharp looking tuxedo!! You sigh and say "If only it had it's original engine ..." But wait!! There's good news!! The original engine for this car is not one that was blown up and lost to the ages a long time ago. Oh no, the original engine is still alive and well and living in a '67 GTX. All you have to do is buy the Hemi Challenger at it's "reasonable" asking price, work a deal for the original engine from the owner of the GTX and then you would have a killer numbers-matching factory Shaker Hemi Challenger RT!! About the only downside is that the owner of the GTX would probably want a king's ransom for the original motor ... sigh.

Any one have any history or know any issues with this car? PM is fine if you not want to post. Thanks

RzeroB

Happy New Year!!  :woohoo:

Thanks to your contributions we have a couple of good transitions to the new year. I'll start with this one ...

Quote from: Jimlt4383 on January 02, 2020, 09:07:31 PM

As Dan (6bblgt) pointed out, the aforementioned 1971 HemiCuda convertible is BS27R1B327882. It is one of only 12 1971 HemiCuda convertibles recognized to ever have been made. It is one of only seven made for the U.S. market and of those one of only five with an automatic. As with all of the Hemi powered E-body convertibles, it is an extremely rare, and very elite car in a class unto themselves.

327882 is finished in classic combination of FE5 Rallye-Red with a V3X black convertible top and a H6X9 black viny interior. The paint, top and interior, together with the color keyed grill and Elastomeric bumpers, make for a visually striking combination that is sure to turn heads no matter where it may go.   

Reportedly the car was ordered new in Michigan, but where exactly I do not know. Whoever ordered it new apparently wanted it to be more of a "power cruiser" than a back street brawler as evidenced by the fact that it had no axle package ordered and came with the standard 3:23 geared open 8.75" rear end.

I like this close up of the HemiCuda's front end. It shows great detail of the "cheese-grater" grill and all of the other features that make the '71 Cuda's design so unique and iconic. Having never seen the actual fender tag for this car I don't know if the Elastomeric bumpers are original to the car or not. Many of the older pictures of this car show it without the Elastomeric bumpers. Maybe they were added at some point?

327882 is nicely equipped for power cruising with the A62 Rallye Gauge Pkg, C16 Center Console, C62 Six-Way Seat, P37 Power Convertible Top, the booming R11 Music Master 2W AM Radio and S77 Power Steering among other nice things.

Here is 327882 when it attended the 2005 Meadow Brook Concours D'Elegance in Michigan. Here it was joined by nine other Hemi E-body convertibles in what was at the time an unprecedented gathering of Hemi E-body convertibles all in one place. At the time of this show I believe noted Chicago collector Tom Lembeck had acquired it as his Winchester-Gray '71 HemiCuda convertible was in attendance too.

In addition to Tom, this car has a long and memorable association with Bill Drake Sr of upstate NY. Under Bill's ownership the car was a regular at all of the big Mopar shows throughout the northeast. I assume prior to Bill it was Ron Adair who owned it? Or was it the other way around? Someone please straighten me out on the ownership lineage ...

This impressive automobile is currently owned by noted Chicago collector Tom Lembeck. However, the last couple of times I have been to the MCACN show after party at Tom's place this particular car was noticeably absent. Reportedly it has been up in Lodi Wisconsin at Restorations by Nicolay where John Nicolay is giving it a "freshening"? Maybe it will be back in Tom's garage this coming fall and I will finally get to see it up close and more personal than I did when it was at the 2015 MCACN show Hemi E-body Convertible Invitational as shown here.

Cheers!
Tom

6bblgt

AFAIK
Ron
Bill
Tom
& yes the bumpers are added
:-X