Main Menu

Random Hemi E-Body of the Week

Started by RzeroB, August 02, 2017, 07:48:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JS29

RzeroB

Roses are red ... and violets are blue ... I love red E-bodies ... and I hope you do too!!  :crazytalk: 

Being that today is Valentine's day, I thought we would post up another one of those rare red-on-red cars that everybody seems to love!! So without further ado, here is JS23R0B294518, which is 1 of about 287 Hemi Challenger RT's made for the U.S. market in 1970, and of those 1 of 150 with an automatic. Being a Hemi Challenger RT is pretty special unto itself, but what makes this particular car pretty exclusive is that it is 1 of about only 5 finished in FE5 Bright Red with the H6E4 red interior.

I had heard that this car has been in the greater St Louis area for a long time but I had never seen it around anywhere. I finally caught up to it last September when it was in attendance at one of the big local cars shows. There I saw the car, met it's owner Curtis (and his mom Rindi - more on her later) and spent an enjoyable time getting to know them and the car.

Curtis told me that in the 1980's his dad was looking for a Hemi Challenger RT. Using that very popular pre-internet car finding "app" Hemmings, his dad found this one down in Florida and brought it back to St Louis where it has been ever since. The car is not a "trailer-queen", no, it's been driven, quite a bit actually with nearly 49,000 miles on the odometer. It's also unrestored and pretty much original retaining it's original numbers matching driveline, original interior and most of it's original paint.

Curtis' Challenger is not overly equipped with options ... in fact, it really doesn't have too many at all. It came equipped from the factory with the A36 Performance 3:55 geared 8.75" Axle Pkg, B51 Power Disc Brakes, C16 Center Console, S77 Power Steering and that's about it. It is also V68 Stripe Delete and didn't even come with a radio from the factory.

Of the 5 red-on-red 1970 Hemi Challenger RTs (that I know of), 2 are 4-speeds and three are automatics. The 4-speeds are easy to distinguish from the others being that one of them has a white vinyl top and the other has black longitudinal side stripes. The 3 automatics are not that easy - all three of them are V68 Stripe Delete.

Curtis' car did not come from the factory with a radio, so there is no antennae on the front right fender. However, an owner prior to Curtis' dad, added a radio ... and an antennae to the left rear quarter panel. Curtis' dad removed the antennae and welded up the hole. If you look closely at the quarter panel you can see a slightly darker shade of red where the painter tried to blend in the repair work. So if you find pictures of a red-on-red Hemi Challenger RT's on the internet, you can tell if it's Curtis' car, or not, by the presence of a radio antennae on the left rear quarter panel, or complete lack there of.

This is Curtis' mom, Rindi's car. It was completely restored by Curtis and his dad for his mom. It's not a Hemi Challenger, but it is one super sweet 1974 Challenger Rallye with a 360 automatic. This car is impeccable inside and out and attracted as much attention as did Curtis' Hemi Challenger - it is THAT nice!! Rindi is pretty cool too ... she is as much of a gearhead as anyone else!! Must of been pretty cool for Curtis growing up with a dad ... and mom, who were totally into the Mopar lifestyle!!  :burnout:
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

dodgemania

what a fantastisk history i like both cars.

JS29

Thank you @RzeroB You keep outdoing yourself.  :bravo:  :perfect10:

Morty426

Quote from: RzeroB on February 14, 2020, 09:32:32 PM
Roses are red ... and violets are blue ... I love red E-bodies ... and I hope you do too!!  :crazytalk: 

Being that today is Valentine's day, I thought we would post up another one of those rare red-on-red cars that everybody seems to love!! So without further ado, here is JS23R0B294518, which is 1 of about 287 Hemi Challenger RT's made for the U.S. market in 1970, and of those 1 of 150 with an automatic. Being a Hemi Challenger RT is pretty special unto itself, but what makes this particular car pretty exclusive is that it is 1 of about only 5 finished in FE5 Bright Red with the H6E4 red interior.

I had a chance to buy the Red on Red 4 speed non-vinyl top car ... TWICE - at a price you all don't want to know.  My brother ended up restoring that car.   :deadhorse:

RzeroB

We've been on a bit of a red-streak lately. This time around we're going to stay with the red interior ... but change up the exterior (after all there are only so many red on red cars).

I've always have liked this next car. It is a classic combination of bad-ass black with a blood red interior that hearkens back to the mighty Mopars of the early '60's. With it's very distinctive color combination it stands out and many of you may already know the car and it's owner(s). For those that don't, this is BS23R0B159631, 1 of about 652 HemiCuda's made for the U.S. market in 1970 and of those, 1 of about 368 with the automatic transmission, but only 1 of 2, possibly 3, or maybe 4, in this color combination    :notsure:

This striking black beauty is finished in TX9 Black Velvet with V5R red side moldings that accentuate the car perfectly ...

and of course the bright H6E4 red interior that separates this car from all of the other bad-ass black HemiCuda's out there!!

Pennsylvania collector Wes Cree had owned this car for a long time and it often could be found on display at the Carlisle Chrysler Nationals among other shows. Here it is with it's maw agape showing off it's fearsome heart ... along with a very nice display placard. This HemiCuda is one of the seemingly few that exited Hamtramck without any kind of an extra cost axle package under it. It has the standard 3:23 geared 8.75" axle under it, the A62 Rallye Gauge Pkg, C16 Center Console, R22 AM / 8-Track Radio, the aforementioned V5R red vinyl side moldings and of course the bright H6E4 red interior ... and that's about it. Not "loaded' with options, but it definitely has a very distinctive color combination!

Note that on Wes' display placard the last remark implies that there are only two HemiCuda's known to have been made with the black exterior and a red interior. I don't know about that, but Wes sold the car last year and it's new owner Ryan Clough has "heard" that there may be as many as four in this unique color combination! I only know of this one ... but I'm always keeping an eye out for the others!  :takealook:
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Chryco Psycho

Thanks for the latest addition  :twothumbsup:
Great looking Cuda

JS29

RzeroB

You guys have me hung up on these red interior cars lately ... so here's another one for you lovers of all things red!!  :inlove:

BS23R0B159628 is 1 of about 652 made for the U.S. market, and of those 1 of 368 with an automatic. It is a "triple-red" car finished in FE5 Rallye-Red with a matching red Shaker and ... a H6E4 red vinyl interior.

On the inside this red rocket is equipped with the A62 Rallye Gauge Pkg, C16 Center Console with the Slap Stik shifter, the booming R11 Music Master 2W AM radio ... and of course that H6E4 all red vinyl interior!!

The ever ubiquitous "Hockey Stick" stripe. Seems that at least two to three times (if not more?) as many Cuda's now sport these stripes today than ever left the factory 50 years ago. I don't blame them ... I personally think that the "Hockey Stick" stripe is one of the best looking graphics to ever be put on a car ... it's iconic!! Speaking of "iconic" ... I think the personalized license plate of "REDHEMI" is pretty cool too!!

From the fender tag we can see that the Hemi transfers it's might back through a Torqueflite transmission and into a A32 Super Performance 4:10 geared Dana Axle Pkg to give it plenty of get up and go!! On the flip-side, after a neck-snapping blast into orbit, the B51 Power Disc Brakes help reign in all that acceleration and bring the mighty Hemi back down to a safe stop. 

Also note on the fender tag that this "triple-red" HemiCuda did not originally come with the ever popular Hockey Stick stripes. Nope. Note that it's actually coded V5W for White Vinyl Moldings!! Now that would definitely look different!!

This all red HemiCuda is owned by Lenny Grimsley of Illinois. Lenny had his HemiCuda in attendance at one of the MCACN show a couple of years ago and had a cool storyboard with the car. I took some pics of it ... but the single pic of the entire board is all but impossible to read. So I took some closer pics of sections of it to make it easier to read. I won't elaborate anymore on it ... as it's all on the storyboard. Enjoy!!

Cheers!
Tom

RzeroB

More red ... but this time only on the outside!! Here we have BS23R1B227275, 1 of about 118 1971 HemiCuda''s ever made. 1 of only 107 made for the U.S. market, and of those 1 of 59 with a 4-speed. It is finished in FE5 Rallye-Red with V6X black billboard stripes, a V1X black vinyl top and a SRX9 black leather interior.

This is suppose to be a real V6X Billboard car. However the same can not be said for the A22 Elastomeric Bumper Pkg and A67 Backlight Louver Pkg ... although they look really great on this car. Also note the added Wheel Well Lip Moldings ... they look good but we all know that they shouldn't be on this car.

On the inside we can see that this car is equipped with the supple black leather seats, the A62 Rallye Gauge Pkg and S77 Power Steering. Also note the rare R36 AM/FM Cassette Radio with Microphone tucked up under the dash. Very unusual to see the Cassette deck mounted directly on the floor and not on a Center Console.

Under the hood of this car is a nicely detailed engine compartment for King-Kong to reside in. The mighty Hemi is backed up by a 4-speed and the A33 Track Pack 3:54 geared Dana Axle Pkg out back.

Coming or going ... this car looks clean and fresh from just about every angle!!

This HemiCuda came to my attention when it was offered for sale at the 2016 Mecum Monterey auction. The car bid up to $350K but failed to meet the sellers reserve. Who exactly the seller was I do not know, but I assume that the same person still owns it today??

Surprisingly the ad for this car at the Mecum Monterey auction is still up and active on Mecum's website. Bang it here if you want to see it and the extra pictures of this car that comes with the ad.  https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0816-244411/1971-plymouth-hemi-cuda/
Cheers!
Tom

Chryco Psycho

Too bad it was not ordered with the wing louvers & bumpers it makes a perfect combo  :twothumbsup:

JS29

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on March 10, 2020, 08:31:59 PM
Too bad it was not ordered with the wing louvers & bumpers it makes a perfect combo  :twothumbsup:
:iagree:

three two barrels

JS23R1B211139 sold in Crane Valley Saskatchewan, don't know much about this car other than it is column shift and radio delete. Talked to a previous owner 22 years ago and was told it had 4:88 gears most of its life.
It received a "makeover" in early eighties to B5 and vinyl roof when it was a daily driver.
Last picture  is how it is today living the high life!

71REDCUDA

Quote from: three two barrels on March 12, 2020, 09:37:20 PM
JS23R1B211139 sold in Crane Valley Saskatchewan, don't know much about this car other than it is column shift and radio delete. Talked to a previous owner 22 years ago and was told it had 4:88 gears most of its life.
It received a "makeover" in early eighties to B5 and vinyl roof when it was a daily driver.
Last picture  is how it is today living the high life!

Almost looks GY3..

RzeroB

Thanks guys!! They were just talking about that car (211139) over on Moparts .... https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2743496/1.html
Cheers!
Tom