Main Menu

Random Hemi E-Body of the Week

Started by RzeroB, August 02, 2017, 07:48:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

Beautiful  :twothumbsup:
Cool story on reuniting a lot of the original parts for the Cuda as well

Cudino

Wow Tom, excellent job!!!  Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

- Wade

nsmall

I know this might sound like a silly question but who are these Pacific Northwest Brothers?

750-h2

Great write up on a great car!! :bigthumb:

RzeroB

Took me eight months to put together that write-up on Wade's Sassy-Grass-Green HemiCuda! :looney: So, forgive me if everything from here on out is not as well composed and "polished" as that write-up was! :haha:

Up next is a car that has been more "visible" within the past couple of years. It's not only visible because it has been in the public eye, but also because of it's bright FJ5 Sublime paint! Here we go!

JS27R0B209728 is 1 of only 12 1970 Hemi Challenger R/T convertibles ever made. 1 of only 9 made for the U.S. market and of those, 1 of 4 with an automatic. It is finished in FJ5 Sublime with V6X black longitudinal stripes and V21 performance hood blackout treatment, a H6X9 black interior and a V3W white convertible top.

From the fender tag we can see that this Hemi Challenger R/T convertible is loaded with options that include: the A01 Light Group Package, A36 Performance 3:55 geared 8.75" Axle Package, A63 Challenger Molding Group, C16 Center Console, G32 painted RH Sport Mirror, G34 painted LH Sport Mirror, M91 Luggage Rack, P31 Power Windows, P37 Power Convertible Top and the R22 AM / 8-Track Radio among other things.

When these pictures were taken in 1999 for Mopar Muscle Magazine the owner, Darrell Fraynd, had owned the car for 17 years having bought the car in 1982 for (are you ready for this?) only $7,500!  :unbelievable:

The V6X black longitudinal stripes nicely accentuate the body lines of the Challenger. Sometime subsequent to this photo shoot Darrell sold the car to mega-collector Brett Torino for "substantially more" than the $7,500 that he bought it for!

In 2015 Brett Torino sold off a major part of his collection to Dana Mecum who intended to sell them through his Mecum auction company. While temporarily owned by the Mecum auction company, the car was one of 27 cars on display at the 2015 MCACN Hemi E-body Convertible invitational.

Descriptive commentary provided by Mecum ahead of this car being featured at their 2016 Kissimmee auction

At the Mecum 2016 Kissimmee auction this car hammer-sold to Dave MacNeil the owner of Weather Tech (auto floor mats and accessories) for a whopping $1.65 million!

Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Chryco Psycho

great looking chall , it seems to change personality with the top up being white , top down it is all green & black

bennydodge

I think this is my favorite thread on here...Great to see the ultimate E-bodies. Probably as close as I'll ever get to them lol.
1973 Challenger 340
2015 Challenger R/T classic B5, wife's car
2010 Dodge 3500 dually
2016 Hellcat Challenger Redline Red A8

RzeroB

Heading over to Indy to take some pics to make a Hemi-fied "Mecum montage". When I get back I'll post up my findings as our next entry. See you in a few days!  :burnout:
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Chryco Psycho

RzeroB

Mecum's Indy show was great. Juliano's stuff was, well, mind boggling to say the least, and could of been a show unto itself. Here is a small sampling of what caught my attention while I was there ...

'70 Hemi Challenger RT.

'68 Hemi Super Bee. Black over red with a red butt stripe - great color combo!

'69 Hemi Daytona. Opposite color combo from the aforementioned Super Bee.

Ok, it's not a Hemi car, but it is a pretty noteworthy one ... Juliano's '71 440-6 'Cuda 'vert. Check out the wheel and hood pin lanyard covers - they had this thing covered and cocooned!

Peter Klutt's '70 HemiCuda 'vert has a new owner. This is a Canadian spec car and keeping the unbroken string of Canadian ownership since new going the new owner is a Canadian too.

Dan Grotheer's original BO29 Super Stock '68 Hemi Barracuda. Check out the exterior rear view mirror "delete" plate, window lift straps, and the mechanical rev limiter.

From the Manny Collection there was this black on black '70 HemiCuda.

One of the main attractions was Juliano's sunroof '70 Hemi Challenger. Check out the bumper sticker on the suitcase.

'70 HemiCuda with an interesting story. The owner, Rick Koch, is not a Mopar guy. He's a GM guy and in particular a Gen 1 Camaro kind of guy. So what is he doing with this HemiCuda you ask? Rick was looking for a '69 Yenko Camaro. Following up on a bunch of leads in search of a Yenko he unwittingly found this HemiCuda tucked away in a Cleveland area garage for over 20 years. Even a GM guy knows the value of a HemiCuda, so Rick bought it with the intent of flipping it in order to fund his Yenko acquisition. Thanks Rick for bringing this one back into the public eye! 

This '71 Hemi Challenger RT is a very late build and one of the last Hemi E-bodies built.

Sox and Martin '70 HemiCuda. Per the sign, this is the only S&M 'Cuda that was actually a factory R-code HemiCuda? Didn't know that.

From the Ken Zandee collection was this FE5 '71 HemiCuda with the H5X9 black and white cloth and vinyl interior (love it!!)

Also from the Ken Zandee collection was this FJ6 '71 440-6 'Cuda. I know it's not a Hemi, but it had this "before and after" pic in it's info album that's kind of funny. I think somebody here on E-bodies was involved with it ... Cody maybe??   :pokeeye:  :Stirring:

Cheers!
Tom

Chryco Psycho

It would have been great to be there but ....
Thanks for the cool pix  :bigthumb:

anlauto

QuoteAlso from the Ken Zandee collection was this FJ6 '71 440-6 'Cuda. I know it's not a Hemi, but it had this "before and after" pic in it's info album that's kind of funny. I think somebody here on E-bodies was involved with it ... Cody maybe??     

I'm really surprised that my before pictures were displayed with this car  :o  It may have sold for more if they weren't in my opinion.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6bblgt

Quote from: anlauto on May 20, 2019, 10:05:41 AM
QuoteAlso from the Ken Zandee collection was this FJ6 '71 440-6 'Cuda. I know it's not a Hemi, but it had this "before and after" pic in it's info album that's kind of funny. I think somebody here on E-bodies was involved with it ... Cody maybe??     

I'm really surprised that my before pictures were displayed with this car  :o  It may have sold for more if they weren't in my opinion.

that's the way it should be - not hiding the car's past with fancy word-smithing to imply the cars are "virgin-rust-free-always-garaged-cream-puff-one-owners"

I would never recommend buying a rotisserie restored car without seeing some pre & during-restoration photos

anlauto

Quote from: 6bblgt on May 20, 2019, 10:43:11 AM
Quote from: anlauto on May 20, 2019, 10:05:41 AM

that's the way it should be - not hiding the car's past with fancy word-smithing to imply the cars are "virgin-rust-free-always-garaged-cream-puff-one-owners"

I would never recommend buying a rotisserie restored car without seeing some pre & during-restoration photos

Of course I agree with you, I'm just surprised the pictures (history) stayed with the car this long through so many owners as well. I would really like to know where the car ended up going.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

750-h2

RzeroB Great pictures!!  Thanks for posting!