Main Menu

Random Hemi E-Body of the Week

Started by RzeroB, August 02, 2017, 07:48:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

I hope whoever buys it restores it back to stock  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70chall440

That SM car is awesome!!! Hope it remains as is for a very long time.
Mopar or no car!!!

Chryco Psycho

leave it as it is , it is 1 of one , restore it & it is just 1 of 600+
It needs the heritage !

floorit426

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 18, 2019, 09:18:27 PM
I needs the heritage !
:iagree: That car, just the way it is, is an icon and, arguably, the most well known hemicuda, on the planet, based on it's racing history.

RzeroB

This is one of Barry Boyle's 1971 HemiCuda's. It is BS23R1B195274, 1 of about 107 made for the U.S. market, and of those 1 of 59 with a 4-speed. It is finished in GK6 Autumn-Bronze with V6X black "billboard" stripes, a V1X black vinyl top and a H6T7 tan vinyl interior. From what I can tell, there are only two '71 HemiCuda's made in GK6 Autumn-Bronze, a color which I personally think looks great on these cars - a bit understated, but very classy.

H6T7 tan interior looks nice and different - I personally like the way the seats are two-tone brown and tan. Note the standard instrument gauges - could never understand why the A62 Rallye Gauge Package didn't come standard on the 'Cuda like it did on the Challenger RT? Not that it really matters - after all this is a "real-deal" HemiCuda!! Rally gauges withstanding, this car also has the A33 Track Pack 3:54 geared Dana Axle Pkg, A67 Backlight Louver Package, B51 Power Disc Brakes, L34 Road Lamps and a S83 Rim-Blow Steering Wheel among other things.

The engine compartment almost looks original and unrestored - a "survivor" maybe, or perhaps an older restoration? I like that it is not overdone and that it looks like Barry may actually drive it from time to time - like it should be!

This car looks great ... coming ... or going. I also like Barry's license plate "QWK CUDA" and I don't doubt that it is! As mentioned, there are only two '71 HemiCuda's made in GK6 Autumn-Bronze, this car and 316900 which was recently owned by Bob "Barto" up in Rochester NY. Coincidentally these two cars are similarly equipped with H6T7 tan interior, 4-speed transmission and A33 Track Pack 3:54 geared Dana Axle Package. It's a great looking combo so it makes sense (in a way) that they came out looking very similar to each other. 
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Chryco Psycho

750-h2

Topcat

Quote from: floorit426 on July 19, 2019, 07:00:20 AM
Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 18, 2019, 09:18:27 PM
I needs the heritage !
:iagree: That car, just the way it is, is an icon and, arguably, the most well known hemicuda, on the planet, based on it's racing history.

:iagree:

Absolutely totally agree.

I've seen it before at SEMA early 2000's.

RzeroB

Speaking of Barry Boyle ... Barry is one of those very fortunate individuals who has more than one '71 HemiCuda. This next car of his is what I consider to be arguably THEE finest of the entire Hemi E-body breed. Ok, ok, I know that's an unfair assessment as all of them are pretty special. For me, this one, and Wade Ogle's similar colored car, are the "creme de la creme" ... obviously, I have a thing, for Sassy Grass Green!!

This green machine is BS23R1B262544. It is 1 of about 107 made for the U.S. market, and of those 1 of 59 with a 4-speed. It is finished in FJ6 Sassy-Grass-Green with V6X black "billboard" stripes and a SRX9 black leather interior. To me, it is simply stunning!  :worship:

Barry credits noted Mopar trader Greg Nelson for bringing this car to his attention. Although the car originally sold new out of San Jose California, it somehow found itself at Greg's Mopar Ponderosa up in Minnesota and in need of a new home. Why Greg (or any previous owner) didn't keep this one for himself is beyond me ... to me it's a keeper! But let it go he did when in early 2008 Barry and Greg worked out a deal, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Now take a look inside ... this HemiCuda is just loaded with options. Looking around the interior we can see the SRX9 black leather interioir, A62 Rallye Gauge Package, C16 Center Console, C62 Six-Way Seat, H31 Rear Window Defogger, P31 Power Windows, R31 Rear Speakers, R36 AM/FM Cassette and the S83 Rim-Blow Steering Wheel. And that is just on the inside! 

The huge satin-black Shaker barely covers the massive "elephant" beneath it. As we can see, under the hood is a clean and detailed as the rest of the car.

Outside we can see that this gorgeous green machine is fitted out with the A01 Light Group Package, A21 Elastomeric Front Bumper Package, A33 Track Pack 3:54 geared Dana Axle Package, B51 Power Disc Brakes, G11 Tinted Glass, G36 Painted Sport Mirrors, J81 Go-Wing and L34 Road Lamps among other things. With all these options, this was one very expensive car when ordered new in 1971.

Special thanks to Ben Lavigne and Andy440 dot com for providing the pictures for me to share with you all.

Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

floorit426

I seem to remember running into this car, cruising the El Camino, in Santa Clara, around 1976, or '77. If it was first sold, in San Jose, then it may be the same one.  It's a beauty, for sure!

750-h2

I remember back about 12 years ago there was a similar 4 speed FJ6 1971 Hemi Cuda at the Mopar Nationals. I spoke to the owner which was about 40 years old. Never did get his name. He told me that he was running his Cuda at an auction in a few weeks and that the reserve on it was $1,000,000. I do not know if it sold or not?

6bblgt

Quote from: 750-h2 on August 04, 2019, 06:55:04 AM
I remember back about 12 years ago there was a similar 4 speed FJ6 1971 Hemi Cuda at the Mopar Nationals. I spoke to the owner which was about 40 years old. Never did get his name. He told me that he was running his Cuda at an auction in a few weeks and that the reserve on it was $1,000,000. I do not know if it sold or not?

BS27R1B405079 (Darrel Smith) it has a white interior & IIRC is the only 1971 hemi 'cuda hardtop that has been publicly "sold" for > $1M

floorit426

I'll be there, on Friday, or Saturday, checking this one out!

E74cuda

The same hemicuda apparently sold earlier this year for $129250. I'm assuming Mecum purchased it and is running it through his auctions for profit. I remember seeing it freshly restored 20+ years ago at a show in Madera CA.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/AZ0319-366248/1970-plymouth-hemi-cuda/