Main Menu

Random Hemi E-Body of the Week

Started by RzeroB, August 02, 2017, 07:48:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

71REDCUDA

Another swedish car..very early built Hemicuda BS23R1B118809--GB7-D21.. matching# engine & trans found in Finland.

71REDCUDA

1 of 4 built for International export.. to France BS23R18215686-GB5-D21-H6B5. Guess where it is now.. Yes in Sweden. Being restored back to race-mode.

JS29

Question! When a Plymouth E-Body was ordered with premium interior, did it receive the molding in the interior trim panels? If so, BS23R0B187947 Dose not seam to have them present. :takealook: 

mccannix

I have a friend with a 71 Hemicuda, original leather interior with no woodgrain trim in the interior panels.
Because of this he has made it his mission to see if others came that way and has found several examples of the same.
Wonder why that 71 Hemicuda has 70 style single headlights installed and what looks to be a 70 Cuda grill.

E74cuda

Quote from: JS29 on April 18, 2020, 07:16:03 AM
Question! When a Plymouth E-Body was ordered with premium interior, did it receive the molding in the interior trim panels? If so, BS23R0B187947 Dose not seam to have them present. :takealook:

I've watched for this also and talked to Terry about it. From what I've seen the Saddle interiors didn't get the wood grain. Also early 70 didn't have the wood grain. I owned cuda 109056 with black leather and no wood grain. Out of the five 71 cudas with black leather interior I've owned the GK6 (Autumn Bronze Metallic) car was the only one that doesn't have the wood grain inserts.

anlauto

Quote from: mccannix on April 18, 2020, 07:47:53 AM
I have a friend with a 71 Hemicuda, original leather interior with no woodgrain trim in the interior panels.

I don't believe your friend HAS that 1971 HEMICUDA.....that's just an Urban Legend ..... :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

mccannix

I think he's becoming the urban legend not the car

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

71REDCUDA

Quote from: mccannix on April 18, 2020, 07:47:53 AM
Because of this he has made it his mission to see if others came that way and has found several examples of the same.
Wonder why that 71 Hemicuda has 70 style single headlights installed and what looks to be a 70 Cuda grill.

Things broke on racecars..

RzeroB

Happy Hemi Day!!

To celebrate this momentous holiday, we will feature an exceptional car that also happens to be celebrating it's 50th birthday (of scheduled production) this month. Being what it is and having been photographed and featured in multiple forms of media, this car is already a bit of a celebrity. So without further ado, here is today's feature car ... Wade and Aster Ogle's Moulin-Rouge 1970 HemiCuda ... aka the "Pink Elephant".

BS23R0B292542 is 1 of about 652 made for the U.S. market, and of those 1 of 284 with a 4-sp eed. It is finished in FM3 Moulin-Rouge with a V1W white vinyl top and a PRXW white leather interior. It is one, of only two HemiCuda's, in fact one of only two Hemi E-bodies all together, to be finished in FM3 Moulin-Rouge / Panther-Pink. Here is a great pic of one of the rare times that these two exclusive pink elephants ever got together ... at the Hugh Hefner's Playboy mansion of all places. Greg Joseph's black top car is on the left and Wade's white top car is on the right.

If you know Wade, you know that he likes cars that contain a unique combination of rarity, originality, options, documentation and history that when combined, makes each car in his collection significant in it's own right. His Moulin-Rouge HemiCuda is no exception. In fact if you asked him, Wade might say that this car could be the exception in his impressive collection ... it has EVERYTHING!  Rarity? It's one of only two FM3 HemiCudas. Originality? It is an all matching numbers original paint "survivor. Options? It's loaded. Documentation? It has all it's factory documents. History? It's complete ownership history is known from day one. "The exception?" ... it's a pretty bold statement given some of the equally impressive Mopars that Wade has in his collection!!

This is a great pic of Wade's pink car. Credit the photographer for composing the picture of the pink car next to ... the pink Oleander shrub. This picture was taken near Wade and Aster's home in the San Francisco bay area ... which is about the only place where you might be able to see this rare pink elephant in person now. Given how highly Wade regards this car, it rarely ventures far from home.

Check out these original documents that Wade so graciously provided to me to share with you here. From them we can see that this amazing car came from the factory with ... well you can read them for yourself ... it's a LOT of stuff!!

I won't bother to expand on this cars features and history ... that story is better served by reading the following articles that were featured in the October 1999 issue of Mopar Action and the September 2004 issue of Mopar Collector's Guide respectively.

Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Chryco Psycho

JS29

Cudino

Happy Hemi Day Tom!  And Happy Birthday as well!  You are definitely the master at wordsmanship, excellent job!

- Wade

Topcat

Seen it a number of times and everytime it's still... :worship:
Amazing  car.

RzeroB

Wade's pink HemiCuda is a hard act to follow ... where do you go from there?? Can't really go up any higher than that pink elephant ... so down we go ... down, down, down to the relatively unknown ... at least to me that is!!

Along this journey I've scoured a lot of different sources trying to find these rare beasts, record them and organize them in a way so that I can present them to you here. Like a paleontologist searching for dinosaur bones, sometimes I get lucky and find a complete "specimen" complete with VIN, fender tag and broadcast sheet documents ... and other times all I find is a fragment. These "fragments" are just as vital as a complete "specimen" because they give a clue that a particular Hemi car DID exist at some point. Whether that car is still around or not I don't know ... but like Neil Young mining for his heart of gold, I keep searching hoping that another clue might surface and provide another piece of the puzzle.

So here are some clues that I have discovered over the years. Most all of these are singular, in that these are the only things that I have found pertaining to the car that the clue pertains to. There has to be more clues out there ... but like the paleontologist digging for dinosaur bones ... I just haven't uncovered them yet. However, maybe YOU have found some clues? If you have ... and want to share ... post up what you have and we'll see if we can piece some of these puzzles together and see what they actually look like.

70440+6bbl on Moparts posted this for a broadcast sheet he found for BS23R0B146459. Sounds like a nice car in a rather unusual color combo. Anyone have any more clues on this one?

Dan, aka "mopar4ya" on Moparts posted this looking for broadcast sheets for his cars ... and he has some nice ones! An FJ5 440-6 Cuda, an FM3 340 Cuda and an EV2 HemiCuda BS23R0B159424 formerly owned by ... Mr Surf Savage!! Now that's a name!!

Here is a fender tag to BS23R0B159479, that to me has a rather unusual color combo ... or lack there of! It's all white ... EW1 outside with a white interior. I found this picture doing a google search, but the little camera icon in the corner of the picture tells me that it was on ebay at one time. This is all I have of this one, but I have "heard" that Mauro Brocca was involved with this car in some capacity??

Here's one from the Factory 426 Hemi Cars facebook page. This engine was for sale and per Rick Simpson's comment, it apparently belonged to BS23R0B159453?? This is a relatively recent post ... anyone know this HemiCuda??

Another facebook post from the Factory 426 Hemi Cars page. Scott Jay Smith apparently had this engine to BS23R0B187955 and tried for three years to find the car it belonged to but never could find it. If Scott couldn't find it ... well I doubt that it still is around ... but maybe it is?? Maybe YOU know something about this car??

And in Moparts was this old post for BS23R0B187955's assembly line sibling BS23R0B187956. Sequential VIN HemiCuda engines but both of their bodies are apparently missing in action ... what are the odds??

Talk about long odds, check this one out. Apparently BS23R0B187962 was stolen in 1970 only 24 days after the original owner bought it and has never been seen again. Is it still out there?? Probably not ... but the engine and trans might be??

Here's one that might be easier to find. Found this broadcast sheet for BS23R0B192902 ... but that's all that I found for it. From the broadcast sheet we can see that this HemiCuda is finished in FC7 In Violet with a V1W white vinyl top and a PRXW white leather interior. It equipped with the A01 Light Group Pkg, A21 Elastomeric Front Bumper Pkg, A33 Track Pack 3:54 geared Dana Axle Pkg and the A62 Rallye Gauges Pkg. It also has B51 Power Disc Brakes, C16 Center Console, R22 AM/8-Track Radio, S77 Power Steering and a S83 Rim Blow Steering Wheel among other things ... this is a nicely equipped car!! Now if only we could see it ... anyone??

Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)