Previous topic Next topic

torredcuda

Looks like it`s already being flipped.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

cuda hunter

And it still has the original spare under it. 
Wouldn't you just put an innertube into the other tire with the matching rim if you didn't want to get rid of the "original" tire? 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

TheAutoArchaeologist

Quote from: cuda hunter on April 15, 2023, 06:13:18 AM
And it still has the original spare under it. 
Wouldn't you just put an innertube into the other tire with the matching rim if you didn't want to get rid of the "original" tire?

The original tire exploded.  There was no saving it.

And I wasn't able to take the car apart.  It will be up to the next owner to find a build sheet.
Ryan Brutt
The Automotive Archaeologist
TheAutoArchaeologist@yahoo.com
www.barnfinds.org

Jay Bee

Quote from: torredcuda on April 15, 2023, 03:49:16 AM
Looks like it`s already being flipped.
...and she cleaned up really nice.

cuda hunter

Yeah! It looks great.  Wish I had a showroom for that.

Not surprised there was no room for you to take the car apart.  Not yours to do so.
What a surprise that would be to find that build sheet.   What a car!!
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

JH27N0B

Build sheets in LA built cars are pretty rare. You never know, but I doubt there's one there.
Here's another video of the car that was made a year ago from Ian and Bob Ashton, but couldn't be released until now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNhMsCEb3RI

cuda hunter

anlauto

The guy that held on to it all those years must be real happy he sold it to a flipper  :looney: how fast can I cash in... :bigmoney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

If you watch the Ian Ashton video, it appears that the guy who owned it is elderly and not in good shape, and has ended up in an assisted living facility. Somebody is managing his affairs, and someone who knew the owner worked to get the car away from the caretakers before who knows what they might have done with it.
The custom car builder who did the build back then has had it in his garage for safekeeping until everything could get straightened out. In the video there is a police officer inspecting the car and having the VIN checked, so it can be registered as apparently the title is lost.
So the story seems to be a lot more involved than ASSuming "some flipper got it".  :foul:
When the whole story comes out, we will probably find it's more a story of some car guys who rescued it.  :cheers:

anlauto

Quote from: JH27N0B on April 15, 2023, 03:29:00 PM

So the story seems to be a lot more involved than ASSuming "some flipper got it".  :foul:

Sorry, I just watch up until the point where they said that the guy that bought it (from the elderly guy) is now sending it to MECUM  :dunno: so if that's not a "flipper" I don't know what is...If it was someone like Tim Welborn or something, who bought it from the elderly guy and keep it forever in his collection, then I would have much respect. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

JH27N0B

The Ashton video you had to eavesdrop some to pick up bits and pieces of the story.  Ian is walking around filming the car while his dad chats with several guys involved in the situation who are off to the side.
One thing I overheard in the video is that Steve in his quest to buy it was a little too pushy with the owner, and the owner Tony developed a dislike of him. Saying he'd burn it before selling it to him. I overheard some of the conversation where it was said at one point he indicated he wanted the car to go to the Henry Ford Museum. But that idea was discouraged as the museum would likely just have sold it off eventually to fund other things.
Whatever the case, sadly the guy is fading away in a nursing home. It's not even clear if the car was purchased from the management company that is in charge of selling off his home and assets, and is being flipped, or if it's being auctioned in his behalf and the proceeds going to pay his bills.
It's a sad situation, in this case it sounds like the guy might not have heirs and never made any wishes known for what is to be done with his stuff.
So it is irritating listening to people jumping to conclusions and criticizing a guy who is likely an invalid at a nursing home now perhaps with no family.  Pretty heartless.
Reminds me I need to get back on my never finished project of writing a will, and figure out a way to keep my Mr Norms records and other documentation of my T/A somewhere where it doesn't get lost if a bus hits me or I end up fading away in a care facility while geniuses on forums belittle me.  :alan2cents:

anlauto

You bring up a good point....how many of us here are getting up there closer to death and have really no interested family members that would enjoy the burden of getting rid of all the stuff we collect ? I cherish some of the toys and models I've saved since I was a kid....my family could care less  :crying:

JH27N0B

A local Mopar friend passed away a couple years ago unexpectedly. I've mentioned him before here as I bought his car trailer from his widow last year. His wife is having health issues too. The two kids are both young parents.
In the meantime his hemi cuda and T/A were sitting gathering dust in his garage, and still are there as far as I know. And his 71 Challenger convertible project was at a body shop.
He was 70, retired a few years, going strong when he had a brain aneurysm.
I've got my cars, some of my late fathers rare gun collection, some rare parts stashed away, various other vintage items. It's tough wanting things to go to good caretakers when you're gone or have Alzheimer's or something but how to assure that when you're still in decent health to make those decisions?

torredcuda

I didn`t watch the video but it sounds like it`s not very clear who actually owns the car now, maybe if they explained it better there would not be any speculation?
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

kdcarman

Quote from: JH27N0B on April 15, 2023, 05:52:05 PM
A local Mopar friend passed away a couple years ago unexpectedly. I've mentioned him before here as I bought his car trailer from his widow last year. His wife is having health issues too. The two kids are both young parents.
In the meantime his hemi cuda and T/A were sitting gathering dust in his garage, and still are there as far as I know. And his 71 Challenger convertible project was at a body shop.
He was 70, retired a few years, going strong when he had a brain aneurysm.
I've got my cars, some of my late fathers rare gun collection, some rare parts stashed away, various other vintage items. It's tough wanting things to go to good caretakers when you're gone or have Alzheimer's or something but how to assure that when you're still in decent health to make those decisions?

I heard he passed away.  Miss seeing him at the car shows.