Main Menu

RTS 'Cuda Uncovered after 40 years!

Started by TheAutoArchaeologist, April 14, 2023, 08:44:03 AM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

Quote from: anlauto on April 15, 2023, 05:31:41 PM
You bring up a good point....how many of us here are getting up there closer to death and have really no interested family members that would enjoy the burden of getting rid of all the stuff we collect ? I cherish some of the toys and models I've saved since I was a kid....my family could care less  :crying:

My children have no interest in my cars or memorabilia. I have sent emails to my daughter, one for each vehicle, detailing the vehicle, what I know about it's history, it's value and options for selling. I've also mentioned a couple people to contact to assist with this who would be in the know about this stuff. My purpose was to make things easier for my kids rather than any concern for the cars themselves.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

JH27N0B

My dad had made up detailed list of what my mom should do with his gun collection when he passed including a trusted friend and fellow collector who could help sort them and should get first dibs on ones he wanted. He indicated what auction house he wanted used, as he didn't trust a large vintage gun auction house here in Illinois.
He even made up and inventory with estimated values.
The one thing he didn't provide was a good idea where the combination to his big safe was! We ended up having to hire a safecracker to open it!  :haha:  A sheet with the combination turned up several months later.  :headbang:
Planning for one's demise is a tough chore, but one's family can be really be put in a dilemma if someone hasn't done that chore.  It's even tougher for single people like me and apparently the RTS cuda owner as we want our things to go to good caretakers but not having family we care about to think about.

cuda hunter

I'm constantly dreaming of finding an R code in a garage that no one cares about any longer due to life's standard circumstances.  Dream, dream, dream. 
It must have been cool to be involved in bringing this car back into the light. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Brads70

Sure would be cool to see it running and driving someday!  :fingerscrossed:

YellowThumper

Was nice to get the details of its existence.
All our beloved projects end up down the same path.
New owners who may end up with them can never "own" them with the same depth of pride as the originators. Or in this instance, early owner when it was still fresh.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

TheAutoArchaeologist

Quote from: Brads70 on April 16, 2023, 10:41:25 AM
Sure would be cool to see it running and driving someday!  :fingerscrossed:

I believe Mecum is working on that as we speak.  The car was legit "running when parked" in 76.
Ryan Brutt
The Automotive Archaeologist
TheAutoArchaeologist@yahoo.com
www.barnfinds.org

TA/Z06/GSXR1100

Raise your hand if you'd rather own this thing over a regular "R" code Cuda with a 4 speed.  Let's make it equal ...the latter is also unrestored and has been parked since 1976.  Be honest! : )

torredcuda

That would be a tough choice, there are other Hemicudas but only one RTS `cuda. At least I could drive the Hemi car around but I`d too afraid to drive the RTS on the street and that`s IF you could even make it street legal.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

RzeroB

I thought the RTS Cuda had a blower on it ... or was that the Sonic Cuda??

I was at the 2019 Mecum Indy auction when the other RTS cars were auctioned off. I thought for sure that the enigmatic Brothers would have bought all of them to keep them together. To my surprise they only bought the Duster. God knows they have the resources to have bought them all if they had wanted to. I can't remember if the other two went to the same buyer, or if they were split up between two different buyers? It would take a lot of coordination to try and get them all back together for a display somewhere ...

"He would rather have burned it then to have sold it to Steven ..."  :unbelievable:  Well, I guess that pretty much explains why it was never reunited with the other three in Steven's care!!

I'm not a lawyer, but for estate planning I can't think of a better way to determine where your stuff goes after you die than a trust. With a trust, whatever is in the trust is predetermined by you as to where it goes ... not by a bunch of bickering plaintiffs with lawyers, and a judge, in a probate court.
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

JH27N0B

The sonic cuda had a blower on it.  It was also designed by Chuck Miller and has many similarities to the RTS cuda like the front end.
As far as I know, the Sonic Cuda hasn't been seen in many years and no one knows what happened to it?
The RTS Duster got sold to the Brothers collection at Mecum Indy, and the two roadrunners I heard got sold to a collector in NJ.
I don't know much about the NJ collector except what I've heard 3rd or 4th or 5th hand.  Someone named Howie or Howard, who also bought the Diamante from Juliano before he died.  He isn't known to display any of his collection at shows.

TheAutoArchaeologist

Quote from: TA/Z06/GSXR1100 on April 17, 2023, 11:24:34 AM
Raise your hand if you'd rather own this thing over a regular "R" code Cuda with a 4 speed.  Let's make it equal ...the latter is also unrestored and has been parked since 1976.  Be honest! : )

Funny you mention that, I found a Hemi 'Cuda sitting since 1976 also in Detroit.  Still has the bicentennial plates on it.

And yes, the Duster went to The Brother's Collection, and both of the Road Runners went to New Jersey.

Now there is only two missing RTS cars.  The 70 GTX and Don Prudhomme funny car twin.

Ryan Brutt
The Automotive Archaeologist
TheAutoArchaeologist@yahoo.com
www.barnfinds.org

RzeroB

Quote from: TA/Z06/GSXR1100 on April 17, 2023, 11:24:34 AM

The RTS car is unique ... but without hesitation I'd take the HemiCuda!! :yes:
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

anlauto

You have to wonder in what world was it smart to split the three cars up... :drunk: I'm sure The Brothers" could have out-bid anybody who tried ... :bigmoney: they deserve to ALL be together  :grouphug:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dodj

I'll take the regular "R" code. I don't particularly like the RTS 'cuda. If that car didn't have the history....the factory connection....most people (I think) would say "why did they do that to a 'cuda?" Should have left it original....right Alan?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

LOL.....I was refraining from saying it should be restored back to stock  :pokeeye: :pokeeye: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration