Main Menu

Shipping to Canada

Started by Cdnchallenger, March 18, 2019, 09:34:14 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on March 20, 2019, 02:07:02 PM
I know a certain member here that has things shipped to his inlaws and comes down to pick the stuff up...  :pokeeye:

:notsure:     :lurking:

BIGSHCLUNK

:rofl:  :rofl:..................                    :wave:

Slotts

Be careful. Don't get caught drinking the Kool-Aid or believing the hype.

Mopsquad

I can feel the pain our of Canadian members.  I lived in Canada for most of my life and restored a '65 Mustang up there.  USPS and my parents in the US where the best bet.

Now one other thing.  When I restored my Mustang, the Canadian dollar was only worth 62 cents!!  Some of you may remember that horrible time ):

An American dollar cost me $1.60!!

RUNCHARGER

Yeah: It's costing us about $1.40 right now. It's really tough to build them up here but we still do.
Sheldon

js27

I just sold a radio delete plate to a gentleman in Canada for a A-body. I took it to the post office today to get a shipping price and was shocked. The box is about 10" long and 4" high and weights about 3 ounces. I could ship regular parcel post for $10.95. I told them I want $50.00 insurance ( cost of the part) and was told I could not get insurance on parcel post and had to ship priority that comes with $200.00 insurance for a shipping price of $39.95. Crazy-$40.00 shipping to get insurance on a $50.00 part. I also have to fill out custom papers.
WOW
JS27

anlauto

Yup...Goes both ways....now you know why my ads say NO SHIPPING....it usually cost more to ship something these days then the part is worth... :crying:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

blown motor

Quote from: js27 on April 03, 2019, 11:37:21 AM
I just sold a radio delete plate to a gentleman in Canada for a A-body. I took it to the post office today to get a shipping price and was shocked. The box is about 10" long and 4" high and weights about 3 ounces. I could ship regular parcel post for $10.95. I told them I want $50.00 insurance ( cost of the part) and was told I could not get insurance on parcel post and had to ship priority that comes with $200.00 insurance for a shipping price of $39.95. Crazy-$40.00 shipping to get insurance on a $50.00 part. I also have to fill out custom papers.
WOW
JS27

@js27 Where is it going in Canada and how quick does he need it? I'll be in Ohio next week. If you can get it there I can bring it back and mail it from here.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

js27

Quote from: blown motor on April 03, 2019, 12:25:44 PM
Quote from: js27 on April 03, 2019, 11:37:21 AM
WOW
JS27

@js27 Where is it going in Canada and how quick does he need it? I'll be in Ohio next week. If you can get it there I can bring it back and mail it from here.

Thank you so much for the kind offer. I talked to the gentleman last night is he is comfortable with me  just mailing to him without the insurance. Again Thank You for being a true Mopar Guy.
JS27

Jay Bee

I also stay away from any seller that uses the "Global Shipping Program". I believe everything goes to a central place in Kentucky and the items are sent from there.  That system automatically tacks on an "import fee".  I got lucky once and contacted the seller, who used another one of his shipping services that was even cheaper than USPS.

northerncuda2021

Yup happened to me before also shipping was as much as I paid  for the part. Example rear sway bar for a ebody  Sway bar was $85 shipping $70  ARG  messed up!!

moparroy

Yea been hit by UPS a couple times but I stung them once. True story. My wife answered when they came to the door and asked for fee. She gave the driver her credit card. Either he wrote it down wrong or could not read it so the charge was refused. Couple weeks later I get a letter from UPS saying you owe us $$$. I have had a hate on for UPS for this for a while. I wrote back a long letter - basically said go jump in a lake - your fees are unfair - I think I even accused them of misleading business practices. Thing is their fee is mostly a brokerage service fee (not duties - just another UPS fee) - so I said you advertise that you can "deliver" the shipment for $X then try to collect $x+$y for that same "delivery". I said in the letter I am happy to pay the taxes and any duties but not any additional UPS fees. I sent a copy of the letter to the Ministry of Consumer Affairs and the Competition Bureau (or someone in Ottawa). Surprisingly one of the government agencies responded and asked UPS to address my point. I forget exactly what they said but UPS cancelled the charge.
Never an issue with Rockauto - they do this right - Rockauto is the importer of record - they handle the brokerage service through their corporate account. Eastwood through Fedex has been ok too - though I am not sure they are as clear and complete on it as Rockauto.
One kicker is Tech Authority (manuals) only uses UPS exclusively. I think it might have been the first shipment I got from them that triggered my letter. Since then I pick it up in Niagara Falls NY.
I did order my tranny rebuild kit from a company in California (Trans Warehouse?) that also shipped only UPS. Through that I found that certain international shipping options allow you to pre-pay the brokerage fee and taxes to UPS when it hits the border and if you do that their fees are more reasonable.

dodj

Ya...if a place only ships by ups, I go somewhere else.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill