Main Menu

Sigh ---- yes again, I don't like THIS sound.

Started by Cudajason, May 30, 2021, 05:19:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

Ok, yep I am back.

Fired the car up today, went for a little spin.  When I got back I heard a spinning rattling type noise.

Sounds to me like it is coming from the underneath, maybe around the transmission?  It does not seem to change as I move or rev the engine.

What do you guys think / hear????  I am pretty nervous and really don't want to take the car too far with it whirring like that.

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

YellowThumper

Sorry to hear. Also sorry that I cannot make out what it is from the vid.
Good luck.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

RUNCHARGER

No real idea: It kind of sounds like either a dry bushing packing it in or maybe sheetmetal rubbing. Is it possible to remove the trans inspection cover on this deal? My first WAG would be the inspection cover rubbing on the TC.
Sheldon

Purepony

I hope you get it sorted out and I really hope it's something minimal.
I hate when that happens all is working and then something like this happens   :Thud:

B5fourspeed

I was seeing exhaust coming from the passenger side going forward with that underneath shot.

Scooter

Flywheel teeth hitting access plate? Best guess.. audio is not the best.. understand it's hard to isolate on running car.

Montclaire

Cudajason

Quote from: Scooter on May 30, 2021, 06:45:51 PM
Flywheel teeth hitting access plate? Best guess.. audio is not the best.. understand it's hard to isolate on running car.

I do not have the access plate installed. I did not see any signs of the flywheel teeth rubbing anywhere else.

Honestly the sound gets louder as you move back towards the mid / rear of the trans.

Yes its hard to get good audio of it.

Quote from: B5fourspeed on May 30, 2021, 06:21:12 PM
I was seeing exhaust coming from the passenger side going forward with that underneath shot.

Yeah thats the easy one, valve cover is leaking!! 

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

RUNCHARGER

Does the trans have a drain plug? Maybe see if the fluid has bits in it. New trans it's common to have clutch material in there anyway though.
Sheldon

nsmall

I'm really sorry to hear you're having continued problems.  I wish I could offer a suggestion but I could make out anything.  Sometimes it seems like there's no way out but I can promise you that you will eventually get all this dialed in and you can once again drive with confidence. :bradsthumb:

Jay Bee

Jason, maybe you mentioned this but I can't seem to find it.

Does the rattle/ticking increase (faster) with a higher engine RPM?

Cudajason

Quote from: nsmall on June 01, 2021, 11:23:42 PM
I'm really sorry to hear you're having continued problems.  I wish I could offer a suggestion but I could make out anything.  Sometimes it seems like there's no way out but I can promise you that you will eventually get all this dialed in and you can once again drive with confidence. :bradsthumb:

All fair comments.  I will see if I can get a better video.  I have pretty bad hearing these days, so If I can hear it I know its bad.  My wife hears it too, but I agree it does not come through on the video.

Quote from: Jay Bee on June 02, 2021, 06:18:14 AM
Jason, maybe you mentioned this but I can't seem to find it.

Does the rattle/ticking increase (faster) with a higher engine RPM?

It does not change as you rev it in park / neutral.

not sure about when its in drive.  I will get it up on stands this weeks and and see what it does.

Jason

Scooter

2nd guess.. fan hitting the shroud?

Have you installed any parts lately.. maybe a bolt too long?

:dunno:

Cudajason

Well guys, I was a quart low on trans fluid. Not sure if that was what was causing the noise, but I really don't know.

At this point I think I am just going to run it and see what happens!

I took it for a spin yesterday and man is it working, I could get a lot of trouble with this car!!!

Bleed the brakes, and off to get it aligned this week.

Jason

jimynick

Jason could I come over to listen to it sometime?
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"