Main Menu

Does this sound reasonable?

Started by Plumcrazzy, December 27, 2019, 06:10:24 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Plumcrazzy

My daughter got me a Muscle Car Calendar for Christmas (long standing tradition). Has vintage muscle as well as late model stuff with really nice color prints. Each page has some history and stats on that particular car. Next December (2020) has a picture of a 2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody. Stats discuss Line Lock, Launch Control, Horsepower, etc. The following statement is what prompted this post. "If the Hellcat was to be under WOT (wide open throttle) it would only take about eleven minutes to empty the fuel tank". For real? WTF. Comments?

Moprr

I heard that before.  They do have 1/2" fuel lines.

340challconvert

I once tuned up my old 440-6 Challenger RT w a 4:10 Dana and ran it at full throttle on a deserted road where I had marked off a quarter mile and half mile markers.  I managed to go through a full tank of gas in less then a 1/2 hour of  gunning the gas hard.  :stayinlane:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

7E-Bodies

@Plumcrazzy I was told the same stat by one of the guys running the hellcat rides at Carlisle 2017.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

anlauto

They likely based it on the pumps ability to pump the fuel it would take 11 minutes to empty the tank  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GoodysGotaCuda

Figured they have a 600cc/min injector and 18.5 gallon capacity. If we assume 85% injector duty cycle at WOT, it'll take about 17min to empty the tank.

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Jay Bee

Chryco Psycho

My 440 Duster would use 1/3 gallon in 11 seconds in the 1/4 mile , 1/2 gallon total / run , quick  burn out & idling back to the pits
It is based simply on how much fuel the engine can burn to make power ,  800 hp takes a lot of fuel , the fuel pump has nothing to do with it other than it has to be able to keep up

JS29

:iagree: The fuel pump could starve the engine, but it can't flood it.  :alan2cents: