Main Menu

Unfortunate accident

Started by mopar thunder, February 22, 2021, 10:10:18 AM

Previous topic Next topic

mopar thunder

Hi Everyone, I haven't posted in awhile because the issues I had with the car after the engine install just got to me. And unfortunately it didn't end there. I need some advice on hood hinges but before I get there here is the background. My transmission had a leak. An acquaintance who has a nice garage set up told me to bring it over and he would put it on the lift. Well a starting issue developed so I put it in my trailer and took it over. Long story short he had it for 1.5 weeks. He asked me to come over so he could tell me his thoughts. I went over late one day and he explained to me what he had been doing. He told me he had a total of $690 in it........ well that was it for me. I said I didn't want o him to look anymore because it was obvious he was chasing parts. So I told him i would come over the next day and get it. Well the next day I got a call and he asked me to stop by. it seems he thought he had it fixed and took it out on the road. During that time he forgot to put the hood pins in it. You you guessed it. Not sure how fast he was going but it flew up, ripped off the hood hinges, hit the top of the windshield, flipped, hit the roof, then the trunk area and rear quarter on the passenger side. I was devastated. I was in shock and he was white as a sheet. He told me not to worry about it that he was responsible and would make it right. Fast forward to when he got the estimate and all of the sudden he was saying he was only responsible for 50%. I got my lawyer involved and he is now paying 100%. But he still wants me to pay the $690. Plus the autobody shop is 3 months behind. i am just at my limit.

Anyway my question after this long story is do you think the hood hinges are still OK or should I get new ones? They stayed bolted to the car. The hood is a custom fiberglass piece.  If anyone remembers the story of my car after the engine incident I am severely thin in patience and drive anymore.

Cuda_mark

Wow, that is unfortunate. It's good that the guy's insurance covered 100% of the repair though. Things like that happen...you can only hope for the best outcome, which it looks like you got. Once it all gets repaired, you'll be able to enjoy the car again and that will erase all of the bad memories from this incident.

tparker

Ah man, That sucks. Not sure what to say. I hope he at least had honest intentions. I would think that this would have been an accident, but he should still understand that he should be responsible for the damage. With the hight cost of restoration, I could see him hoping he could split the costs. ouch. I would be devastated too and not sure how long it would take me to save up enough. It would just sit in my case.

As far as the hood hinges, do they appear to have any damage? I would imagine they would have at least bent or twisted a little bit. I would inspect them and make sure they look like they are in good shape. The springs arn't going to be damaged. There could be some issues at the pivot points. And of course the arms could be bent. A little bending might not be a big issue. Also, check the mounting point just to make sure it didn't get pulled out of place.

anlauto

Man o man that sucks... :o I would say the hinges would be fine....but the body shop should replace them and add it to the invoice in my opinion to be on the safe side. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

torredcuda

Man , that sucks, I feel for ya as my car has had a rough few years as well. Sometimes taking a break from it is good and you can get back it re-energized.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

js27

Wow-life sure has a way of kicking you in the gut. Sounds like it will all work out in the end and I would get new hood hinges for sure.
JS27

Mopsquad

Ripped off the hood hinges.  That's quite a bit of mechanical force on a finicky part - If you've ever had to adjust a hood.  Even with small torsional damage to the hinges, it may make it very difficult to adjust the hood properly.  I guess whoever will be adjusting the hood will tell you if they work or not.  If you can't submit for new hinges after the fact, then get the new ones now.

mopar thunder

Quote from: tparker on February 22, 2021, 10:41:37 AM
Ah man, That sucks. Not sure what to say. I hope he at least had honest intentions. I would think that this would have been an accident, but he should still understand that he should be responsible for the damage. With the hight cost of restoration, I could see him hoping he could split the costs. ouch. I would be devastated too and not sure how long it would take me to save up enough. It would just sit in my case.

As far as the hood hinges, do they appear to have any damage? I would imagine they would have at least bent or twisted a little bit. I would inspect them and make sure they look like they are in good shape. The springs arn't going to be damaged. There could be some issues at the pivot points. And of course the arms could be bent. A little bending might not be a big issue. Also, check the mounting point just to make sure it didn't get pulled out of place.

Apparently he doesn't have insurance or refuses to put it on it. he asked me if I had insurance at one point. I was like "did you really just ask me that?"

mopar thunder

He got nasty at one point, blowing my phone up, threatening me, telling me the next time we see each other its not going to be amicable....etc. I am so Thankful I have the wife I do because I had hit my boiling point but my wife kept me somewhat even keeled. Not sure how it will go from here on out. My fingers are crossed he just pays for it and then doesn't bother me. Because once that car if fixed all bets are off if he continues. I called the body shop today because he was supposed to give them $2,700 down as he promised. Well he only gave them $1200. So hopefully this isn't the future.

dodj

I hope it works out for you. Once money gets involved, you really get to learn a person's character. For better or worse.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

RUNCHARGER

Gotta love guys like that. So who does he think SHOULD pay for it?
Sheldon

CudaMoparRay

Sorry to hear your troubles but with a light hood popping off the hinges might be alright.
BUT I would replace them either way for safety and convenience sake.
Wishing the best outcome  :fingerscrossed:

jimynick

My take on it is that if the hinges look alright and the hood bolts on alright and adjusts/closes alright and you use hood pins, why do you need to change them? It's not about money, it's just that like the old saying goes- "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" However, it's your car and your call. I don't know how your insurance works where you are, but in Canada, you could call your own company and they'd pay for the repairs and subrogate (go after him) for the costs involved. Based on your relation of how this is going so far, you may want to explore that.  :thinking:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

B5fourspeed

I would have a police report taken.One for the accident and 1 for him threatening you.

Shoooter

This is terrible.  Hope it gets worked out and he steps up. I had a issue at the boarder where the Canadian boarder agent damaged my car. They told me there trained professionals and I had no proof.  Too bad or get a lawyer.  I went through insurance and they went after the boarder and got there money.

Does he think you should be using your insurance to cover this??