Main Menu

Venting Tanks Inc tank, My Fitech Install

Started by WhiskeyRebel, April 25, 2020, 12:08:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

WhiskeyRebel

Hi All,
For those of you that have installed a Tanks Inc tank, how have you vented it?

I am doing a Fitech conversion and using a new tank with internal pump and sender.  There are two vent nipples. I plan on just blocking one off and using one, but how?  The tank came with a ball valve that they say to install higher than the top of the fill tube?  Where could that possibly be?  I dont want to vent it in the trunk. This is on a 72 Challenger.

Thanks,
Matt

Katfish

Long run, but factory ran it up to engine bay, PCV on valve cover.

Brads70

I also have the same tank . My car was from CA and has that goofy tube in the trunk with multiple nipples. I used a tee , used both vents from the tank . I hooked mine to that just like the factory did, then the line goes up to the engine bay and into the breather on the valve cover.

WhiskeyRebel

Yeah, I had this multi line evaporator on mine too.  I removed all that.  I was going to use the 5/16 line as the return from the Fitech but maybe if I need a 3rd line, I'll add another 3/8 for the return and use the 5/16 as a breather.  My 5/16 line was never attached to anything, just dead ended up in the engine compartment. I plan on bending these (feed and return) up the firewall and into the back of the Fitech.  I have one PCV that runs from the passenger valve cover to the front of the now carb.  I guess I could bend a 3rd line up and T into that PCV for the tank vent.  I was hoping it was easier than this but that seems like it will be pretty clean.

GoodysGotaCuda

I don't have a Challenger, but mine does just uses the check ball vent. Just one.

That said, if I were in your shoes, I'd likely run a vented gas cap and block both of those vents.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

WhiskeyRebel

This may be a dumb question, but how do I tell if the cap is vented?  Here is what I have on the car.  Classic Industries carries a similar looking one that says it is vented but I've also read some conflicting info.

Scooter

Keep us updated on your progress. I thought about going with one of the self contained EFI units but did not want to hassle with the fuel delivery issues you are running into at the time. Also considered one of those fuel "command centers" so you can use the stock stock fuel pump, but that adds clutter under the hood. Ended up just tossing a new carb in there but have still been eyeballing the EFI units. 

Katfish

You've come this far, run the extra line up to the engine.
Vented gas cap will leave you with a gas residue stain down the quarter panel.

WhiskeyRebel

Thanks Katfish, I agree. I have a prebent 3/8 line on order and I'll use the existing 5/16 to tie in to a pcv line to vent. Thanks everyone for the input.

Seems like there may be some interest in the overall Fitech install so I will add some posts to document how I'm doing (updated the post subject to include Fitech for search purposes).  The disclaimer is that I have little to no idea what I am doing so follow me at your own risk.  I am mostly here for all your help but happy to document my foolishness if it helps anyone (or at least provides comic value).  More to follow...

Katfish

I was in same situation, I added a 3/8" line for fuel, used the existing 5/16" for return and also added a 1/4" line for the vent.
Check Fine Lines website, the 1/4" line is standard on the 72-74.

My FiTech has been treating me great for 2 years now, good luck.

WhiskeyRebel

OK, here goes.  When I bought the car, I knew it had issues to resolve, including running poorly likely due to an old carb that needed rebuilding or replacing.  The exhaust dumped out before the axle, which wont pass inspection in MA, so that needed finishing.  It was running a really loud electric fuel pump that was mounted to the rear crossmember, right where the tailpipes should run.  And my fuel gauge never worked.  So the plan was to ditch the pump for a new in tank pump and sender, along with a new Tanks Inc. tank and the Fitech Go EFI 4 600hp throttle body.

Here's the old Holley that was on the car.  While waiting for the Fitech parts, I swapped in a good Edelbrock I had and the car ran good.

Msbaugh440

Looking forward to watching the fitech install! I've got a tanks inc tank that will go in my car with a Walbro pump. I bought an aeromotive dual feed line and regulator for low pressure since I planned on running a carb. A little worried that I'll need a massive 1/2" return line in order to keep the pressure where it needs to be to maintain flow of unused fuel back to the tank. I live in Utah, so a fitech might be a good option for trouble free cruising up into the mountains during summer.

YellowThumper

Agree with not using the vented cap. Besides the fuel issue on quarter panel.  You will smell the gas vapors in garage.
The vent line to front goes to a carbon canister that then hooks to vacuum source. I removed my canister and made a short new piece that passes thru the access plate from engine bay out to the wheel well area. Rear of the shock tower. Bent a 90 degree on it and connected a fuel filter. It just points downward. Filter allows it to breathe and with opening pointing down keeps the weather and road junk out. There is a rubber connection towards the front at the frame rail area.
Been this way for years and don't smell gas fumes.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

WhiskeyRebel

I can only get away with driving a loud sublime Challenger without an inspection sticker for so long before the cops notice.  Time to install the tailpipes, which requires moving that electric Holly fuel pump, etc.  Time to do the FiTech.

Here are the tailpipes I picked up from TTI.  Very nice units and came with the hangers too.

WhiskeyRebel

I also grabbed a pair of these from AMD as my car was missing them.