Main Menu

What did you do with your ebody/Mopar today?

Started by Brads70, March 21, 2017, 03:19:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

Used an AMD Cuda hood for the dutchman support. It had almost the perfect crown in it (I had to reverse it from this position though). AMD makes this stuff but I don't have time to wait a month to get the parts.
Sheldon

HP2

Few days late on this, but on Sunday I finally get the engine fired and the new cam run in.  Everything sounded pretty good. Of course after 25 minutes of running in at 2500 rpm, I also discovered several small leaks I  now have to address, not the least of which is swapping out the water pump that decided to leak out the weep hole.

I'll get the leaks fixed then start working on dialing in the timing and carb. I've also added methanol injection to this build so that a new tuning variable I've never dealt with before. Might rent some dyno time to shorten that learning curve.

71vert340

Painted the last of the 74 Charger Rallye body panels in color - the front and rear valances and then repainted the rear Dutchman panel after waiting 6 weeks because I didn't like the way it came out. Rest of the car is good. Wouldn't you know it. While painting the dutchman panel, the flake in the B5 blue didn't lay right and in certain light, I see the splotch. I guess I get to redo it in the spring as cold weather is setting in now. No one else sees it unless I point it out. Oh well. Eventually, I'll get it to lay right. I'll have to take it down a couple of layers then.
Terry

RUNCHARGER

Finally ready to cut a quarter off. Unfortunately the car came with skins only so it took extra time to change the window filler panel as I had to make the compound curve repair piece for the lower window channel. Finally finished polishing the trunk welds today and welded in the tailpanel supports, and rear valance after triple checking the fit of the little quarter extensions that go on the bottom, I had to hack out the back of the quarter when I chopped the floor and tail panel off, I saved the end piece with the original quarter extension to check fit, if the new ones don't fit it will be AMD's fault not mine I figure. Chargers are a lot of trouble to do the backend right apparently but I'm confident I've got it all in the right spot.
The contour on the top of the doors doesn't match the top surface of the quarter but that will just have to be fixed, bottom edge of the doors are not very good either. These pieces end up costing pretty close to $1000CDN each (for doors or quarters, fenders are even more) so it's a bit tough to see bad quality on them, as they say though, better than nothing.
Sheldon

Brads70

I remember my buddy Mike cussing the AMD quarters when he was doing his 68 Charger. He said it took him 2 weeks to get both quarters right and ready for paint. I remember quarter extensions needed some " help" as well .  Beautiful ride when your done though if your willing to go the extra mile...

IMNCARN82

round tail lights forever !!

RUNCHARGER

AMD setback day today. I set my doors up without strikers so I know the striker is not raising or lowering the door, after I have the door set then I install the striker and watch carefully when the door latches that the striker doesn't move the height of the door.
Anyway I was having a hard time widening the gap at the back of the door. I was ovaling the bottom door hinge holes and finally after messing around about 2 hours I was happy with the fit of the AMD door, but wait there's more! I install the latch into the door and it won't catch, so I look in there and it's 3/8" too far forward. WTF? Careful measuring and I had an explanation, AMD cut the structure with 3/8" too long in the back and 3/8" too short in the front. No time to order another set of Taiwan doors and wait 5 or 6 weeks and have the same outcome. So, the old door structures look pretty good (18 inch patch will be needed along the bottom, no biggie) so I'll be cutting both sets of skins off and welding the AMD skins to the original doors. Always setbacks in carbuilding.
Sheldon

Scooter

mopar thunder

Took a short ride to stretch her legs. Still working on some of the bugs but getting a little closer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIabXxj1MrU

Brads70

All my extra time lately has been on the Javelin, so today I fired up the Challenger and drove around and visited some friends.  Enough of this social distancing crap already!

76orangewagon

Drove 50 miles to a car show at a drive in theater.

Hood

I managed to break my brake line yesterday....that really sucked. But I should be able and to fix it myself.
Original owner with 100% documentation.
Ordered my Cuda on September 29th 1972

Brads70

Quote from: Hood on September 28, 2020, 08:24:10 PM
I managed to break my brake line yesterday....that really sucked. But I should be able and to fix it myself.

I did the same thing, same spot on my Javelin.... if it makes you feel any better? LOL  Better now than while driving somewhere...

nsmall

Glad to see you are enjoying your freshly restored ride.  Very cool to hear you actually drive your car as we all know you went buck wild on restoring that 71.

dodj

Quote from: Brads70 on September 27, 2020, 01:17:19 PM
  Enough of this social distancing crap already!
Well you southern Ontario people better start doing a better job of social distancing.... :Stirring:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill