Main Menu

What did you do with your ebody/Mopar today?

Started by Brads70, March 21, 2017, 03:19:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

gzig5

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on September 22, 2019, 10:43:27 AM
Well since you guys appreciated the review I think I'll start an actual review thread in case others are interested...

I'm quite interested, especially in the installation effort on the tank.  The new sender I put in my new tank shows E with 8 gallons left which is better than nothing, but it really shouldn't be that hard to get something halfway accurate based off the original design.

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: gzig5 on September 22, 2019, 01:14:58 PM
Well since you guys appreciated the review I think I'll start an actual review thread in case others are interested...

I'm quite interested, especially in the installation effort on the tank.  The new sender I put in my new tank shows E with 8 gallons left which is better than nothing, but it really shouldn't be that hard to get something halfway accurate based off the original design.

Did you try to calibrate it before installing the new sender?

7E-Bodies

Interior epoxy job on the tail light panel while it's out. Following the @Cuda Cody PPG paint protocols to the letter.  :bigmoney: It's sure nice to have the reassurance with all of the new chemicals out there now. Felt amazingly good to have a paint gun in my hand again after 30+ years! Even if only epoxy right now. The last primer I shot while working at the auto body as a 20 year old kid was DuPont 80S Red Oxide. Does that date me? A big thank you to Cody for putting together the "How to Paint a Show Car Finish" manual. Confidence returns...baby steps.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: DeathProofCuda on September 22, 2019, 02:01:07 PM

I worked as a professional mechanic for years, likely installed over 100 fuel level senders, virtually every one was an OE part & none required "calibration" you bolt it in and it works....

I have spent hours upon hours working with these aftermarket sending units for our Mopars, tweaking & bending, adding additional grounds, you might make it better but rarely will you make it work as well as an original OE sender...   

These new design senders are made by Issapro, a gauge company that's headquarters are in Portland Oregon... You know, part of the USA...

Unfortunately these senders don't fit the original tanks, they drop straight in from the top through a standard SAE five hole mounting flange... Like shown in the picture...

7E-Bodies

I have my original from my low mileage 70, but it tests inconsistent through the ohmic range. Oddly, so does the new aftermarket that came with the project. Thoughts?

gzig5

Quote from: DeathProofCuda on September 22, 2019, 02:01:07 PM

No.  I ASS u me d that it would work.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on September 22, 2019, 03:33:47 PM
I have my original from my low mileage 70, but it tests inconsistent through the ohmic range. Oddly, so does the new aftermarket that came with the project. Thoughts?

I would trust the original before I would the aftermarket...   Honestly I would probably open the original up, clean the contact surfaces with Caig contact cleaner, slightly tweak the wiper so it has good tension and reinstall the original...

7E-Bodies

1 Wild R/T

Fwiw my earlier post about what I had done yesterday wasn't intended to sidetrack this post, I actually started a thread about the sending unit...  Let's allow this thread to get back on track...  Cause it has been a good thread subject...

https://forum.e-bodies.org/electrical-and-audio/11/fuel-sending-units-that-actually-work-well/13060/

DeathProofCuda

No.  I ASS u me d that it would work.
[/quote]

Apparently this doesn't work for everyone, but when I did mine I first hooked it up outside of the tank with a jumper wire for a ground.  I then swept the float through its range from top to bottom to see if the gauge was reading correctly.  This was 10+ years ago so I don't remember all of the details, but I do remember that at least one of the readings was a bit off so I bent the stop tab(s) on the float arm until it was reading correctly. :alan2cents:

360fish

Re-installed my Demon carburetor after the accelerator pump was cleaned and unstuck...  amazingly it now starts without needing to pour gas in the carb...   :cooldance:
1973 'Cuda   Semi-Pro Touring
360 SB - 518/OD auto tranny - FAST EZ EFI - Edelbrock Fuel sump - HHR fan
Hella H4 headlights on relays - 97 Dodge Avenger seats - Chin spoiler - Bumpers pulled in to '72 offset

1 Wild R/T

Last week I spent a couple days sanding the bottom of my Coronet.... Saturday morning I pulled the trigger on my spray gun...  Once again proving I lack the skills to paint my own car... But since the bottom is supposed to replicate dip primer a few (a lot) of runs is not a big deal....

7E-Bodies

Spent lots of hours and materials sealing up something that'll never get seen again...but at least I'll always know it's protected. What the heck...DP40 is only $400/gallon. Seam sealer next, then pre-fitted quarter install.

ec_co

took off from work early to pickup my AMD sheetmetal, no damage! dropping it off for metal work on Thursday :)
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

YellowThumper

Worked on a spare light bar for dash. I am converting it to LED bars that can be dimmed to suit.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.