Main Menu

What did you do with your ebody/Mopar today?

Started by Brads70, March 21, 2017, 03:19:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Flatdad

Yesternight, I dropped the rear suspension off the Challenger, leaf springs and all. The plan has been to replace the rear structure of the car enough for daily driver duties and leave the front half alone. Thought I was good shape with two jack stands at the rear of the rockers, and two more on the frame behind the front tires. 'Thought' can be a dangerous word.

Everything was loosened and going great except my shackles were stuck in the frame rails. "No problem" I said, "I've got power tools!" I said, and proceeded to enthusiastically chop the ends off the old rusty rails. The moment the final steel sliver severed was the moment my plan went off the rails, pun intended.

Turns out, the weight of a fully dressed big block Chrysler coupled to a Torqueflite can turn a pair of jack stands into a pretty nice fulcrum. The rear went up and so did I, grabbing the edge of the trunk and (luckily) counterbalancing the car in a game of high stakes teeter-totter.

Now I was stuck, swearing didn't seem to help, so I swallowed my pride for the extra weight and called my brother. "Hey Andy, ya busy? Want to see something cool?". He arrived in a few minutes to find a grown man sheepishly dangling from the back of a car. The crisis was averted with an extra set of stands and hands. I credited another favor to his account, and found a new respect for basic physics my life.

303 Mopar

Quote from: Flatdad on December 06, 2017, 06:06:30 AM
He arrived in a few minutes to find a grown man sheepishly dangling from the back of a car.

Got a pic?   :haha: :rofl:

Cudajason

Quote from: Flatdad on December 06, 2017, 06:06:30 AM
Yesternight, I dropped the rear suspension off the Challenger, leaf springs and all. The plan has been to replace the rear structure of the car enough for daily driver duties and leave the front half alone. Thought I was good shape with two jack stands at the rear of the rockers, and two more on the frame behind the front tires. 'Thought' can be a dangerous word.

Everything was loosened and going great except my shackles were stuck in the frame rails. "No problem" I said, "I've got power tools!" I said, and proceeded to enthusiastically chop the ends off the old rusty rails. The moment the final steel sliver severed was the moment my plan went off the rails, pun intended.

Turns out, the weight of a fully dressed big block Chrysler coupled to a Torqueflite can turn a pair of jack stands into a pretty nice fulcrum. The rear went up and so did I, grabbing the edge of the trunk and (luckily) counterbalancing the car in a game of high stakes teeter-totter.

Now I was stuck, swearing didn't seem to help, so I swallowed my pride for the extra weight and called my brother. "Hey Andy, ya busy? Want to see something cool?". He arrived in a few minutes to find a grown man sheepishly dangling from the back of a car. The crisis was averted with an extra set of stands and hands. I credited another favor to his account, and found a new respect for basic physics my life.

Well lets all be glad that you screen name did not come true @Flatdad
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Spikedog08

Glad your brother was close and could be there in a few minutes!  WOW :looney:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

CudaMoparRay

Simply packed the 'Cuda with all the important things we had just in case we had to evacuate the fires 🔥 here in Sylmar
Thank God it has passed us by with only a number of hours without electricity being the worst for us.
Unfortunately, others have not been so lucky

YellowThumper

Quote from: CudaMoparRay on December 06, 2017, 11:52:48 AM
Simply packed the 'Cuda with all the important things we had just in case we had to evacuate the fires 🔥 here in Sylmar
Thank God it has passed us by with only a number of hours without electricity being the worst for us.
Unfortunately, others have not been so lucky

Glad it worked out for you. Had same issue a few years ago in the Brea Canyon fire. Tense moments for sure.
Life sure throws the curveballs at times.

Mike
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

RUNCHARGER

Ok Flatdad: I think that's the best shop story this year. I'm still laughing.
Sheldon

benlavigne

While I was in Toronto on business, I took a little side-trip to the AGAR Mopar Restoration Emporium to meet @anlauto himself!
Great guy after all... ;-)
Very nice gig, working from home, surrounded by tons of rare/restored/original parts, subassemblies, wish I had the talent and guts to start something like that...
Thanks again for the switch Alan!

Ben

GoodysGotaCuda

Fixed my fuel pressure. It appears my pressure line shrunk after being submerged in fuel and it was essentially just sitting on the pump outlet. I would get about 20psi at idle and as low as 11 at WOT. no bueno!

Should be back on the road soon, tweaking a few other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

anlauto

Quote from: benlavigne on December 07, 2017, 08:37:23 AM
While I was in Toronto on business, I took a little side-trip to the AGAR Mopar Restoration Emporium to meet @anlauto himself!
Great guy after all... ;-)
Very nice gig, working from home, surrounded by tons of rare/restored/original parts, subassemblies, wish I had the talent and guts to start something like that...
Thanks again for the switch Alan!

Ben

The pleasure was all mine.....I love visitors  :cheers:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

Well the oldest granddaughter turned 16 today.    School let out at 12:30 for local Christmas parade and she wanted me to pick her up in the Challenger today..........was a treat for her and I got to get her out a bit.............I threatened to do a burnout at the flag poles but then.........thought better of it..............anyway........good day for both of us.........

YellowThumper

Lol understand that.
Took mine to my daughters high school the other day. The streets leading up to it are ripe for the "loss of traction" excuse.
Drove calmly... Sometimes being grown up hurts.

Mike.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

CudaMoparRay

Unpacked the 'Cuda of all the stuff I packed a few days ago into it because of the fire.
Just waited to make sure it is not coming back this way to do so.

Cudakiller70

I've done absolutely nothing. Goodys built a whole car and I can't get a cam change done. It's all good though, it's called life. I'm blessed every day :bigthumb:

340challconvert

Finally cleaning and rebuilding the rear drum brakes on the A66 vert
:wrenching:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible