Main Menu

Tanks Inc. Fuel tanks for fuel injection -Product review-

Started by Brads70, February 02, 2017, 04:49:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Roadman

Quote from: 70chall440 on February 04, 2017, 01:25:03 PM
Quote from: ToxicWolf on February 04, 2017, 12:53:16 PM
Roadman and I opened the box today.

Did it come with the billet inlet/outlet?

Yep.    :ohyeah:

cataclysm80

Quote from: roadman on February 04, 2017, 01:00:11 PM
Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on February 03, 2017, 04:31:26 AM
Any pictures of that ebrake setup? Who's kit is it?
Got it from Summit.    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/esc-esk001/overview/

If it has a screw mechanism, I'm wondering how quickly it activates?
What is the braking distance at typical highway speeds?

The Summit website says that this is inoperable when the ignition switch is on.
That seems dangerous to have an emergency brake which doesn't work while you're driving.
Do they expect emergencies to only happen when you're not driving?

ToxicWolf

Quote from: cataclysm80 on February 05, 2017, 05:02:08 AM
Quote from: roadman on February 04, 2017, 01:00:11 PM
Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on February 03, 2017, 04:31:26 AM
Any pictures of that ebrake setup? Who's kit is it?
Got it from Summit.    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/esc-esk001/overview/

If it has a screw mechanism, I'm wondering how quickly it activates?
What is the braking distance at typical highway speeds?

The Summit website says that this is inoperable when the ignition switch is on.
That seems dangerous to have an emergency brake which doesn't work while you're driving.
Do they expect emergencies to only happen when you're not driving?

You don't have to hook up the ignition switch shutoff. Then it will work while you are driving.  This is designed to work more as an "anti-theft" device than a classic emergency brake.  You could keep the original emergency brake in place and hook this up separately if you wanted to do that.  I think you can hook it to the front brakes, but I'm not sure.  I've been driving for over 40 years and I've never needed to use the emergency brake while driving.  This is more of a show car device than a racing device.  In a real emergency, I can always use my gears to stop and park the car.

70chall440

Mopar or no car!!!

Brads70

Quote from: 70chall440 on February 02, 2017, 09:00:24 PM
One word of caution when using this tank system, make sure you test fit the plate on the top before assembling the pump so you know exactly how it all lines up. It looks like the holes are symmetrical and will rotate so you can clock it, it doesn't! As I said before, I would (and might) use that Jake Fab unit, very nice and at a $120 it is totally worth it.

Did you get your leak issues sorted out? (I think you did, can't remember) Like is everything still all good?  I still have yet to drop my tank and fit a leak. It's laid up for the winter anyhow...  I think it's the fitting, as I found a cracked one at the the pump as well.

70chall440

Yes I did or at least I think I did (no puddles) but like your car mine is kind of put up until the weather clears a bit (another month or so).
Mopar or no car!!!

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: roadman on February 04, 2017, 02:04:15 PM

Wait, the Tanks Inc. fuel pump came with the billet inlet/outlet? Or am I missing something?
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Roadman

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on February 05, 2017, 10:27:38 AM

Wait, the Tanks Inc. fuel pump came with the billet inlet/outlet? Or am I missing something?

Correction. !!!!!     :headbang:     We did not get a Tanks,Inc brand.  We got this one.   https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-18342?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-aeromotive&gclid=CPb-orqy3NECFY9Zhgod4vYJrQ     I'm really getting old.    :bricks:

ToxicWolf

Quote from: roadman on February 05, 2017, 11:33:18 AM

Correction. !!!!!     :headbang:     We did not get a Tanks,Inc brand.  We got this one.   https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-18342?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-aeromotive&gclid=CPb-orqy3NECFY9Zhgod4vYJrQ     I'm really getting old.    :bricks:

They are the same tank but different fuel pumps.

Brads70

Quote from: ToxicWolf on February 05, 2017, 11:44:16 AM

I agree, sure looks like the same tank. Keep us posted when you get it installed and running. Curious as to how loud it is?

From Summits description
"Note: Stealth fuel tanks are not intended for competition applications where extreme acceleration and cornering will occur with fuel levels lower than 1/2 tank. Racing fuel cells or bladder-style road racing tanks with the appropriate baffling and gated collectors are recommended for these types of applications."

I wonder why they say this? It HAS to be better than a stock tank. Some baffles are better than no baffels ? No?
I'm curious as to what the pump assembly looks like . Any plans to take it out? Maybe get a photo like I did from the filler neck side before you install it?, drop in a small flashlight first?  :takepicture:

Roadman

@Brads70  I'll pull the pump out tomorrow and get some detail pics.   :cheers:

Brads70

Quote from: roadman on February 05, 2017, 01:45:51 PM
    @Brads70  I'll pull the pump out tomorrow and get some detail pics.   :cheers:

I'm looking on Summits site but I don't see a replacement pump for this tank?  I assume they sell one, otherwise what happens when it wears out? You have to buy a new tank assembly?   Maybe they have some "deal" with tanks inc. that they don't advertise it so they are not competing with tanks inc pump set ups?  :notsure:

Brads70

Quote from: roadman on February 05, 2017, 02:03:39 PM
     Pretty sure this is the pump, will verify tomorrow.     https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-11541/overview/

I was meaning/looking for the entire drop in/bolt in assembly.

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Brads70 on February 05, 2017, 01:36:11 PM
Quote from: ToxicWolf on February 05, 2017, 11:44:16 AM

I agree, sure looks like the same tank. Keep us posted when you get it installed and running. Curious as to how loud it is?

From Summits description
"Note: Stealth fuel tanks are not intended for competition applications where extreme acceleration and cornering will occur with fuel levels lower than 1/2 tank. Racing fuel cells or bladder-style road racing tanks with the appropriate baffling and gated collectors are recommended for these types of applications."

I wonder why they say this? It HAS to be better than a stock tank. Some baffles are better than no baffels ? No?
I'm curious as to what the pump assembly looks like . Any plans to take it out? Maybe get a photo like I did from the filler neck side before you install it?, drop in a small flashlight first?  :takepicture:

Yes, there is a bath tub in the bottom for the fuel pump to sit in. It's sufficient for the average car, but I wouldn't expect it to work at low fuel levels and high, sustaining, lateral force.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs