Main Menu

About 32 years later and she's running

Started by tparker, December 01, 2023, 02:12:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

Finally got her running. 70 340 stroked (416). Running with borrowed Hooker A body headers durring break in, Dougs will replace them this or next week. TTI exhaust. Got a bit more work to do before she's back on the streets. Early spring hopefully. She's running a bit hot and that shows up in one of the videos.

Videos:

dodj

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

headejm

Sounds good and not much blowby. I love 340 engines!

Would a fan shroud help with the overheating? Engines usually run a little warmer at first.

tparker

A fan shroud would probably help. The fan looks a little wobbly so there may be a problem there. I was running an external blower on it but the AC cooler was in front of the radiator so that probably wasn't helping. Will look at it later. It never ran hot before so I assume it is just the part of the brake in. But it wasn't a 416 at that point lol.

Skid Row

:twothumbsup: Congratulations on that first start/break-in,(32 Years!) I thought I had the record at 27. Temps will run high on new pistons & bores during 1st run, My shiny
Doug's turned blue.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

7E-Bodies

1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Dakota

IT'S.... ALIVE!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VkrUG3OrPc

Congrats!   That's a great milestone for any build, especially one that's on year 32.

PrimerGray

Quote from: tparker on December 01, 2023, 04:21:52 PMA fan shroud would probably help. The fan looks a little wobbly so there may be a problem there. I was running an external blower on it but the AC cooler was in front of the radiator so that probably wasn't helping. Will look at it later. It never ran hot before so I assume it is just the part of the brake in. But it wasn't a 416 at that point lol.

Without a shroud the fan will suck in air from the sides, as it is the path of least resistance, and won't suck as much through the radiator. I have a shroud from a 71 challenger with a 26" radiator if you could use it!

jimynick

Congrats on gettin' the old gal to run! I hope it's the video, but I wonder if it's running on all 8? There seems to be a tick/miss? If you have or can borrow an infrared heat gun I'd check each cylinder for heat continuity. I hope I'm wrong and that it is, indeed, the video.
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

tparker

Quote from: PrimerGray on December 02, 2023, 09:14:50 PMWithout a shroud the fan will suck in air from the sides, as it is the path of least resistance, and won't suck as much through the radiator. I have a shroud from a 71 challenger with a 26" radiator if you could use it!

Didn't have one before and it never overheated. But this is a different beast now. I have been thinking of getting one. I assume 70 and 71 are the same? I'm low on cash at the moment, but maybe after the holidays. How much would you be looking for it?

tparker

Quote from: jimynick on December 03, 2023, 06:27:17 PMCongrats on gettin' the old gal to run! I hope it's the video, but I wonder if it's running on all 8? There seems to be a tick/miss? If you have or can borrow an infrared heat gun I'd check each cylinder for heat continuity. I hope I'm wrong and that it is, indeed, the video.

Yeah I heard a tick as well. It seems to be running on all 8, but I'll check again. I have to get a better heat gun, mine maxed out. LOL. But maybe that was just it getting hot from the break in. Thanks for the tip, I'll double check soon

PrimerGray

Quote from: tparker on December 03, 2023, 08:52:50 PM
Quote from: PrimerGray on December 02, 2023, 09:14:50 PMWithout a shroud the fan will suck in air from the sides, as it is the path of least resistance, and won't suck as much through the radiator. I have a shroud from a 71 challenger with a 26" radiator if you could use it!

Didn't have one before and it never overheated. But this is a different beast now. I have been thinking of getting one. I assume 70 and 71 are the same? I'm low on cash at the moment, but maybe after the holidays. How much would you be looking for it?

How about 20 bucks plus shipping? It's just sitting in my garage as I upgraded my radiator and it doesn't seal against my new one. You'll want to make sure you have the 26" radiator as it has grooves it fits into on the top of the radiator. I'll send some pictures later when I'm back home.

PrimerGray

Quote from: PrimerGray on December 04, 2023, 10:06:33 AM
Quote from: tparker on December 03, 2023, 08:52:50 PM

How about 20 bucks plus shipping? It's just sitting in my garage as I upgraded my radiator and it doesn't seal against my new one. You'll want to make sure you have the 26" radiator as it has grooves it fits into on the top of the radiator. I'll send some pictures later when I'm back home.

Here are the pictures! 26 1/2" wide 17 7/8" high and 2 3/4" deep. Fan opening is 20 1/4".

jimynick

That's a nice offer to a guy who isn't rolling in dough. Good on you!  :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"