Main Menu

Bellhousing smallblock

Started by soundcontrol, November 27, 2017, 10:22:10 AM

Previous topic Next topic

soundcontrol

I found a bellhousing for sale, the left one in the picture. Since I have no experience with manual trannys, will this fit my a833? And why are they slightly different? I know the one below is a smallblock for a833, (but that one is sold), and they are slightly different. Will go between a 5.7 Hemi and an a833.

Cuda Cody

Can you get the casting number off them?

soundcontrol

Quote from: Cuda Cody on November 27, 2017, 10:27:28 AM
Can you get the casting number off them?

Not at this time, maybe later, seller said that it has the larger hole for the front bearing retainer. I need to measure my a833. He said I could make an adapter ring if I have a smaller retainer, is that correct?

soundcontrol

Just found out that that is from a truck, and the clutch fork has some kind of pivot. So I'll skip this one.

Chryco Psycho

Looks like a multi pattern truck housing ,
there are 3 hole sizes for the front brg retainer that Mopar used 4.35 , 4.8 & 5.1 for the Od version , the 4.8 & 5.1 use the same bolt pattern & can be swapped out or the 5.1 can be milled down to fit the 4.8 hole , you can make a ring for the 4.35 to adapt to the 4.8 as well but you may need a washers under the retainer bolts to keep the ring trapped in place

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on November 28, 2017, 04:37:38 AM
there are 3 hole sizes for the front brg retainer that Mopar used 4.35 , 4.8 & 5.1 for the Od version , the 4.8 & 5.1 use the same bolt pattern & can be swapped out or the 5.1 can be milled down to fit the 4.8 hole , you can make a ring for the 4.35 to adapt to the 4.8 as well but you may need a washers under the retainer bolts to keep the ring trapped in place

The correct small block bell housing is really not that rare. I would definitely hold out for the correct one you need instead of dealing with all this.

anlauto

Quote from: Shane Kelley on November 28, 2017, 07:38:18 AM

The correct small block bell housing is really not that rare. I would definitely hold out for the correct one you need instead of dealing with all this.

I was going to say the same thing, but is there a correct one to "go between a 5.7 Hemi and an a833"
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

303 Mopar

Quote from: anlauto on November 28, 2017, 09:02:22 AM

I was going to say the same thing, but is there a correct one to "go between a 5.7 Hemi and an a833"

And depending on the exhaust (TTI headers vs Manifolds for example) you may need to trim the bottom tabs.  I had to do this on my 6.4 with 833 and TTI headers.

soundcontrol

Exact what I was thinking, it's not that I need it right now, my 73 project is years ahead, just collecting parts. This bellhousing had a good price, but I prefer one that fits the a833 I have.

Have not thought of headers yet, I have 2 sets of stock manifolds, none fits right away, maybe I'll by a header kit and build my own, starting from the stock 6.1 manifolds. Thats a nice challenge!

soundcontrol

While on the subject, hydraulic clutch systems, anyone use those?  Are they any good?
Since I have the pedals, but nothing between the pedals and the bellhousing....

http://americanpowertrain.com/i-8521613-hydramax-hydraulic-clutch-conversion-system-for-mopar-with-23-spline-a-833.html

anlauto

Once bleed properly, they work nice. Kind of a soft pedal though.. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

I have used both Tilton & McLeod & both work great .