Main Menu

Best Valve Cover Gaskets

Started by 303 Mopar, April 19, 2017, 03:17:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Roadman

First thing I always do is make sure the cover is straight on the mating surface. Then I flaten the bolt holes using a punch and socket. Once all is clean I glue the gasket to the cover using 3M weatherstrip cement, let it dry overnight. Then I install the cover using a pattern up and down lightly snugging the bolts. Let it sit for a couple hours, snug again. 2 more hours final tightening. Never have leaks. I use no sealer/sealant between the gasket and head.   :rebelflag"

303 Mopar

Quote from: HP_Cuda on August 27, 2017, 02:25:02 PM

Food for thought, I had to get different washers on mine because the ones that came with the bolts were too small and we're getting warped.

Another thing is when the heads heat up and cool down they can come loose. Is this on iron heads or aluminum?

B
Quote from: Sleepychallenger on August 27, 2017, 01:32:47 PM
Check your bolt length. Remember I had this problem.

I have aluminum heads with studs and plenty of threads.  I ran the car good yesterday after torquing them down again, let the engine cool completely and re-torqued them.  I will check again when I pull it out this weekend.

Here is the head with the old gasket.

HP_Cuda

Let us know how it works out for ya.

:twothumbsup:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

303 Mopar

Quote from: HP_Cuda on August 28, 2017, 11:44:44 AM

Let us know how it works out for ya.

:twothumbsup:

The 505 was leaking all down the passenger rear head onto the header.  Turns out the valve cover is cracked, and the Moroso blue gaskets are cracked through in a couple spots on each side.  I am on to find new covers and gaskets.   :bricks:

rebelyell

Sucks! I know the feeling. Going through my 3rd set of valve cover gaskets next week. Used the Felpro on the driver's side and haven't had any problems. Passenger side keeps leaking on the header no matter what I do. I'm going to use a ton of permatex to hopefully fix this problem.

usraptor

I used the Fel pro rubber cork gasket with the Black RTV cement on both sides of the gasket. Followed the directions tighten until cement just starts to squirt out from gasket, let sit for an hour, then torque to specks.  No leaks so far.

Topcat

I just bought the Cometic Valve cover gaskets for the Hemi from Summit.
They had the best prices on them by far and shipping is 48 hours or less delivered.

Once inclement weather starts; it's time for a valve adjustment and valve cover gasket replacement.
See if I can get a little better low end on this cam.

nsmall

Super performance x gasket for a 340.  Zero complaints.  Driven the car 1 mile in the last 6 months.  It's still missing fender, hood, glass, trim and interior.  Will give an update in 5 months. 

61K T/A

Quote from: rebelyell on September 28, 2017, 05:23:52 AM
Sucks! I know the feeling. Going through my 3rd set of valve cover gaskets next week. Used the Felpro on the driver's side and haven't had any problems. Passenger side keeps leaking on the header no matter what I do. I'm going to use a ton of permatex to hopefully fix this problem.

:bigthumb:

FSHTAIL

Ran the blue Moroso's on my 340 on cast iron heads, mine are rough but these gaskets are awesome. 

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

MOPAR MITCH

USRaptor -- You've said that you followed the directions... perhaps from the Fel-Pro gasket set?   I used to work for Fel-Pro for ~30 years as an Applications engineer... I wrote all the directions.. they will never call out to use RTV on Valve Cover gaskets.   You can use a quick-drying contact cement to assist in attaching the gasket to the cover, but if the covers have cut-out tab openings which the gasket has, the gasket doesn't need anything... period.   The gasket does the sealing, not the chemical.     Molded silicone rubber gaskets are always to be installed DRY.    Flange flatness (head/cover) is critical, clamp load also critical.

usraptor

Quote from: MOPAR MITCH on October 30, 2017, 11:54:50 AM
USRaptor -- You've said that you followed the directions... perhaps from the Fel-Pro gasket set?   I used to work for Fel-Pro for ~30 years as an Applications engineer... I wrote all the directions.. they will never call out to use RTV on Valve Cover gaskets.   You can use a quick-drying contact cement to assist in attaching the gasket to the cover, but if the covers have cut-out tab openings which the gasket has, the gasket doesn't need anything... period.   The gasket does the sealing, not the chemical.     Molded silicone rubber gaskets are always to be installed DRY.    Flange flatness (head/cover) is critical, clamp load also critical.

Makes sense.  Unfortunately, he instructions and gasket packing are long gone so I can't double check.

HP_Cuda

I can now say that the Blue Moroso's on aftermarket aluminum tall valvecovers (i.e. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fabricated-Aluminum-Short-Bolt-Style-Mopar-383-440-Valve-Covers-W-Gaskets-V8-/122705415246) work just fine if you torque them down correctly.

No leaks!!!  :bigthumb:

Quote from: Chris Pauluk on October 27, 2017, 11:50:31 PM
Ran the blue Moroso's on my 340 on cast iron heads, mine are rough but these gaskets are awesome. 

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Husk Challenger

I have just installed Mopar performance valve covers and after few miles i have noticed a leak.
I used new Fel pro rubber gasket VS50145R

I tigthened them at 8.5 ft lbs with commun bolts

Can i add more torque?

Thanks
Challenger 73' 383ci 4spd ---> SOLD
Challenger 71' 318 904 RT clone ---> Stroker 318/392 Tf 727!

HP_Cuda

That seems like more than enough torque but you need to ensure the bolts are evenly holding the valve covers down to a clean surface. I had to replace the washers that came with my valve cover HW because they were too small and warping.

Another thing to think about.