Main Menu

RH transmission - The Result

Started by Cudajason, August 19, 2019, 06:17:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on March 15, 2020, 01:51:19 PM
Quote from: Katfish on March 15, 2020, 01:38:58 PM
Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on March 15, 2020, 11:03:35 AM
The snap ring in the O/D is a common failure point.... There is a updated snap ring available...

On the speedo cable, I move the engine back about 3/8" by elongating the holes on the engine mount bracket where the engine mount attaches to the bracket....

Any pics of this?  My speedo is tight too

No pictures... Just pull the mount & bracket out... Separate them, slot the bracket so the mount moves rearward, bolt them back together & reinstall....

Ok, how about a Moroso solid mount with slots?   The regular mounts have a stud that can't be moved so normally I slot the bracket not the mount but this should make the adjustment point apparent...

That's a great idea...but I am running the locking mounts, So I do not want to pull those apart I think I will live with what I have for now.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

1 Wild R/T

If you decide to shift the engine back slightly for speedo cable clearance look to see how much clearance you have ahead of the crossmember cause things get tight There too... But there is room for everything to fit with clearance if your careful...

chargerdon

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on March 15, 2020, 05:05:57 PM
If you decide to shift the engine back slightly for speedo cable clearance look to see how much clearance you have ahead of the crossmember cause things get tight There too... But there is room for everything to fit with clearance if your careful...

Mine fit without moving the engine.   Its tight but it does fit...  I had to Notch out the crossmember so that the speedo cable was inside the notch...   and install the speedo BEFORE putting up the crossmember !!   

Katfish

I actually cut a notch in the body cross member and ran my speedo cable through it.
It was just too tight and didn't think about moving the whole thing back.

Cudajason

I finally got back on this project and spent some time in the garage.   :wrenching:

I got an auto darkening welding helmet for my birthday, so I fired up the welder this evening and tacked up my trans mount. I had to cut it apart once and redo it as my holes did not line up, I have it all lined up now.

I left some space to add a spacer to adjust the driveshaft angle as needed

Next I need to grind a little clearance into one side, then weld it all up solid and paint it black.

I also have to try and get the speedo sensor bolt out of the OD unit, going to try welding a nut on and see what happens.

I am ordering a rebuild kit next week and then things should move a little quicker!  Hopt to get some miles on it this summer.

Jason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

BIGSHCLUNK

Your getting there Jason keep going !  :cheers:

YellowThumper

Good to see. Will you be adding any gussets?
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Cudajason

Quote from: YellowThumper on May 24, 2020, 07:31:33 PM
Good to see. Will you be adding any gussets?

I plan to box in the sides, but beyond that I am not too sure.  I have seen some that have an angle gusset up to the rubber isolator, but not sure it is needed.
The US Car Tool cross member just has a flat mount much like mine.

http://store.uscartool.com/70--74-B-or-E-Body-518-Crossmember-Kit-_p_177.html

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on May 24, 2020, 07:02:20 PM
Your getting there Jason keep going !  :cheers:

Thanks Bigs...I have no doubt that I will get this done, just need to find the time and $$$$.

Jason

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Cudajason on May 25, 2020, 06:34:01 AM

I plan to box in the sides, but beyond that I am not too sure.  I have seen some that have an angle gusset up to the rubber isolator, but not sure it is needed.

I would. The mount needs to be more rigid than the resistance of the rubber to provide any chassis isolation. With how it looks, I would expect the modal response of that component to be pretty low, it may not fail for some time, but I would expect it to not allow the isolator to perform well.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Cudajason

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on May 25, 2020, 08:11:53 AM

I would. The mount needs to be more rigid than the resistance of the rubber to provide any chassis isolation. With how it looks, I would expect the modal response of that component to be pretty low, it may not fail for some time, but I would expect it to not allow the isolator to perform well.

Thanks Goody!

That is part of why I posted pics, input on my "design"!

I will make sure I add gussets to the side up to where the isolator mounts.

Jason

YellowThumper

Quote from: Cudajason on May 25, 2020, 08:58:50 AM
Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on May 25, 2020, 08:11:53 AM

Thanks Goody!

That is part of why I posted pics, input on my "design"!

I will make sure I add gussets to the side up to where the isolator mounts.

Jason
Yes what @GoodysGotaCuda said is spot on.
I was being timid with my question..

Mike.

Cudajason

Back at it today.

Got it all braced and welded up solid. Next on the painting and ya know rebuilding the trans.

@GoodysGotaCuda and @YellowThumper is that along the lines of what you were thinking.

I am by no means a professional welder, but I think it will hold.

Jason

YellowThumper

Yessir exactly!
Looks good. On with trans...
:ohyeah:

Mike.

Cudajason

All prepped for paint. I also added a drain hole.

Cudajason

ok some more progress.

Got the trans mount painted.  in all honesty, I may remake this from scratch next year, once my welding skills improve!

Dropped the trans out and finished disassembly and fixed the one broken bolt (speedometer gear).

That was a pain.  Tried to weld a nut on, did not work.  So spent the next few hours trying to drill it out.  Took some time but I managed to get it out.  Turns out it is a through hole, so I was able to drill it all the way through and retap the hole.  I think it will hold, if not, I will drill it one size bigger and try again!

I started cleaning the case up a bit too.  I want to get all the oxidation off and paint it.

Rebuild kit and shift kit is ordered.  I have seem time off at the end of the month and my plan is to take a big swing and get it all back together.

Next I need to look into a drive shaft and slip yoke for the a-500.

Jason