Main Menu

SST's new 5 speed TKX for e-bodies

Started by Skdmark, March 17, 2021, 09:37:36 AM

Previous topic Next topic

1972V21Cuda

Quote from: torredcuda on March 17, 2021, 03:18:55 PM
Quote from: 7212Mopar on March 17, 2021, 12:54:30 PM
They don't say the HP rating on that trans. There is your option in lieu of waiting for Passon.

Last I saw no wait for a Passon 5 spd and for the price of TKX I`d rather the Passon.

Since when? People have been on a waiting list for 10 years...

wes473

Yup I'm stoked with the new TKX coming out, $3k new ain't bad vs  new 4spds or $2k+ for used t56. Modern tight shifter with multiple locations(I keep the split bench), hydro clutch and nice od gearing. I have a quote from American powertrain... $2800 TKX trans in the $6772 FULL swap for my 70 Cuda 727. Dang mopar tax, $400 bucks for pedals?! Lol

Some $ competitive setups are a used AL o/d 4spd or an AR5 conversion with Dakota bell housing(small block only?)

1972V21Cuda

Quote from: wes473 on March 18, 2021, 03:18:13 AM
Yup I'm stoked with the new TKX coming out, $3k new ain't bad vs  new 4spds or $2k+ for used t56. Modern tight shifter with multiple locations(I keep the split bench), hydro clutch and nice od gearing. I have a quote from American powertrain... $2800 TKX trans in the $6772 FULL swap for my 70 Cuda 727. Dang mopar tax, $400 bucks for pedals?! Lol

Some $ competitive setups are a used AL o/d 4spd or an AR5 conversion with Dakota bell housing(small block only?)

You may want to get a quote from Silver Sport too....

anlauto

:iagree: I've installed TKO's from both companies and prefer SST's kit over APT's :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JonH

They don't say the HP rating on that trans. There is your option in lieu of waiting for Passon.

Last I saw no wait for a Passon 5 spd and for the price of TKX I`d rather the Passon.

Unless Passon's web site has not been updated it says: "No Stock - call to be added to waiting list"
So unless you have first hand knowledge, I doubt that these are available, and at this point I am dubious that they ever will be....

anlauto

Quote from: 1972V21Cuda on March 17, 2021, 09:00:41 PM

Since when? People have been on a waiting list for 10 years...

I find that news hard to believe as well, maybe somebody should give Passon a call and get the scoop...Having theirs readily available is a game changer :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Ebody Edgar

Does the new trans address the fitment issue? You know the problem that no one wants to admit?
In other words does the tail shaft end up in the CORRECT geometric position so the drive-line angles are not "abnormal" Hot Rod Mag quote.
Does the tunnel need sheetmetal work?
What about the notchy shifting that the tremc is known for while under a load from hp? Did they fix that?

torredcuda

John Huff took over assembly and sales of the 855 but I just checked the site I found and it says "sold out "  :dunno:
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

anlauto

Quote from: torredcuda on March 18, 2021, 12:32:14 PM
John Huff took over assembly and sales of the 855 but I just checked the site I found and it says "sold out "  :dunno:

So did Jamie just give up and finally got help with manufacturing or something ? Where does this Jeff guy come in ?

Mopsquad

Just got my quote from SST.  $4930.00 with all the trimmings.  A very complete kit, even down to the 5 speed decal for the pistol grip.

torredcuda

Quote from: anlauto on March 18, 2021, 01:33:20 PM
Quote from: torredcuda on March 18, 2021, 12:32:14 PM

So did Jamie just give up and finally got help with manufacturing or something ? Where does this Jeff guy come in ?

I don`t know any the details but I saw a while back that John Huff took over assembling, had them in stock and was selling them with little to no wait. Not sure if Passon is still involved or not and not sure what the "sold out" means - is it a temporary thing or gone for good?
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

HP2

Judging from the 855 topic on Moparts, deliveries are being made but there is still an extensive waiting list to receive one of these. If you got on the list now, you might still be 3-5 years out.

One of the hallmarks that Tremac extols about the TKX is that it has significantly improved internal mechanisms to eliminate clunky shift and allow 7000 rpm speed shifting that were complaints common in the TKO. The case is also modified to produce a rounder top that should fit in tunnels without cutting.

IMO, the 855 is the ultimate bolt in overdrive trans for a mopar, but at twice the cost and an unknown waiting period, I'm betting the TKX is going to start reducing the 855 waiting list by 20% right away. If it proves itself to be a true bolt in without significant fitment issues, that percentage will probably jump to 60-75% in a couple of years.

anlauto

Quote from: HP2 on March 19, 2021, 06:23:59 AM
Judging from the 855 topic on Moparts, deliveries are being made but there is still an extensive waiting list to receive one of these. If you got on the list now, you might still be 3-5 years out.

One of the hallmarks that Tremac extols about the TKX is that it has significantly improved internal mechanisms to eliminate clunky shift and allow 7000 rpm speed shifting that were complaints common in the TKO. The case is also modified to produce a rounder top that should fit in tunnels without cutting.

IMO, the 855 is the ultimate bolt in overdrive trans for a mopar, but at twice the cost and an unknown waiting period, I'm betting the TKX is going to start reducing the 855 waiting list by 20% right away. If it proves itself to be a true bolt in without significant fitment issues, that percentage will probably jump to 60-75% in a couple of years.

:iagree: I agree...it's one thing to be "first to market" with a better idea, but if you can't meet demand, what's the point....you'll get "knocked off" and lose whatever market share you THOUGHT you had....
Heck....I watch SHARK TANK, I know what I'm talking about  :brainiac: :rofl: :rofl:

ec_co

I've been hearing about the Passon 855 for as long as I've had my e-body and the long wait list has never seemed to change. If they can't meet demand in over 6+ years, I don't understand why they wouldn't outsource to up production. they are about to be left behind IMO, especially if the driveline angle issue is resolved with the TKX since they have solved the tunnel issue now. for as much love as Passon has received in accolades over the years from the Mopar community, they have failed customers on the 855 IMO by wasting years
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came