Main Menu

2018 Flu Epidemic

Started by Topcat, January 19, 2018, 06:42:43 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Did you or your family catch the Flu in 12/17-1/18?

It was the worst Flu I've had in ages
4 (12.1%)
I had it and got better pretty quick
0 (0%)
My whole family and I were sick from it
0 (0%)
I haven't gotten the Flu yet
19 (57.6%)
I got the Flu shot and am O.K.
11 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: March 05, 2018, 06:42:43 PM

dodj

Up here in the great white north, i have yet to know of anyone that got the flu this year. :dunno:

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

gumby

I work in transportation. I drive a train. For years, I have carried glass cleaner, and paper towels, then when I am done with that, I wipe everything down with clorox wipes.

People used to openly laugh at me, but not so much anymore. I don't care. These units are all over the U.S,. And no one cleans them. They can get pretty nasty. When ever I
have a female conductor, I clean the toilet fairly well. They always thank me. It's like a porta-potty that never gets cleaned. I don't know how they do it?

I've noticed lately, over the past few years, my co-workers starting to clean and dis-infect as well. I caught the flu maybe 3 years ago. Other than that, no cold or flu for 24 years.

I clean the area that I'm in almost better than it was when it was brand new. I'm not Howard Hughs. I don't give a crap about anyone that laughs at me.

I have to live in this thing for up to 12 hours a day. I'm not a germophobe - my house is a pigsty with 4 dogs. But home is MY dirt. I know where it comes from.

People used to make fun, but more and more, they are starting to clean their areas as well. people are starting to see that I'm not just some crazy old bastard - well....maybe! lol.

OH, by the way, I have diabetes. I don't need some whacky weird infection that is going to get my body parts lopped off. G-Pa had a leg amputated from diabetes. Died from a stroke.
I take it seriously.
Cousin died last year from a heart attack. Didn't drink, smoke , jogged 6 miles a day. Died on the treadmill. Diebetes. Runs in the family.

I've already had 2 toe infections that were one tissue layer away from bone. Don't need any more drama.

RusTy/SE

I've yet to have a flu shot - or the flu. No germophobe here, but I do wash my hands often as my job takes me to the computer keyboard/desk of just about everyone in my building.

If you want to find the germ equivalent of the Star Wars bar just look down, lol :vipermanhiding: :vipermanhiding:

Last month I did catch a cold, so I took three days off work and went to my then doctor. I had not been to him since 2015. Insurance at work provides the opportunity for a "Wellness Check" several times a year which I faithfully keep up. After 10 minutes I was called to the receptionist and was told that I had been "...divorced for failure to comply".

:huh: :dunno: :huh: I had not scheduled a physical in over two years, was the reason and Doc would not budge from that status, even after an email throwing myself on the sword so-to-speak. I felt like Chuck Connors in Branded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Mnp6VAmEc

The cold went away and I've been fine since - and without question I should have been getting annual physicals but has anybody heard of that?

JS29U0B

There are no traffic jams along the extra mile - Roger Staubach

CudaMoparRay

Sorry for your plight but the Branded video brought some lost tv memories back

js27

Here in South Carolina we are second in the nation for death caused by the flu. So far 109 people have died. We have been blessed so far not to get it. My wife nor I have gotten flu shots ( by choice). We both have had friends catch it. Some have ended up in the hospital for a few day to a week or more and almost died but the Doc's pulled them through. NASTY STUFF out there. Be Careful.
JS27

Topcat

Well I thought I could hide from getting a Flu going into Halloween.

Plan to get the flu shot right after it.

I'm now Day 9, still sick.  :bricks:

I'm doing everything possible to try and beat it but it just won't go away.   :pullinghair:

Brads70

I don't know if it's the " Flu" but my entire household and I have this really bad cold, painful sinus congestion and bad cough. Wife went to the clinic to get antibiotics for sinus infection after 9 days.

Chryco Psycho

Colloidal Silver
get some or make some it is effective on over 600 biotic problems , more effective than any antibiotic ,just cannot be patented so no one talks about it .

ledphoot

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on January 19, 2018, 09:27:53 PM
I haven't had a flu shot, I have no intentions of getting a flu shot & I don't plan to catch the flu either.... Last time I got a flu shot was in the mid 90's & that year just like the year before when I also had a flu shot I got sicker than I even had when not getting a shot.... I'll take my chances... :alan2cents:

Agreed.. The last time I got the flu was 1996 and it was terrible. I don't want any shots / drugs either.

dodj

Quote from: Topcat on October 14, 2018, 11:20:35 AM

I'm doing everything possible to try and beat it but it just won't go away.   :pullinghair:
I've never had a flu that lasted more than 24-36 hours.

Maybe you have something else?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

71-440

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 14, 2018, 01:46:01 PM
Colloidal Silver
get some or make some it is effective on over 600 biotic problems , more effective than any antibiotic ,just cannot be patented so no one talks about it .

:iagree:

And big pharma doesn't want you to using it hence the bad publicity by government agencies.
It's well known and used by preppers and off-griders.
Joe

Topcat

Quote from: dodj on October 14, 2018, 03:25:31 PM
Quote from: Topcat on October 14, 2018, 11:20:35 AM

I've never had a flu that lasted more than 24-36 hours.

Maybe you have something else?

https://www.everydayhealth.com/flu/guide/how-long-does-the-flu-last/

Topcat

On October 5th, we went to go see the movie: A Star is Born and then went out to dinner after.
It was a late Birthday celebration for my Birthday in late September.

During the movie, I started getting a dry cough. It seemed to be getting worse as the night went on.

By Sunday morning, I was full blown flu sick.
I called the VA clinic by Thursday and they said "let it run it's course"

Then fluid started coming out of my ear and I demanded to be seen.
They put an Oxygen sensor on me and said  my numbers were low. 85-88. Need to be at least 90 while walking. 
I was feeling dizzy at times as well.

On Friday the 19th, I was feeling so far the best yet since before I became sick.
I went to work and started feeling dizzy right away.
I went to the nearby VA clinic right after getting into work.

They said you need to go to ER right now. We can't help you with a low O2 count.

8 hours later, I was in a Hospital bed...Till Saturday afternoon. 
They said I contracted a Bacteria associated with Pneumonia.

Apria Healthcare sent to my place Oxygen equipment to help me get my O2 levels going until I recover.
I carry a portable tank if I need to walk any distances.

Next week makes 1 month since I was first sick.
My next appointment is this Wednesday with the  Pulmonary unit.

I'm doing better now and hope that by next week I will be at least 90%.

Take my advice: Get the F'n Flu Shot!...NOW!!!

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Topcat on October 28, 2018, 08:06:24 PM

Take my advice: Get the F'n Flu Shot!...NOW!!!

Sez the guy who gets his shot every year & still gets sick as a dog......

IRON MAN

Getting the flu has nothing to do with contracting bacterial pneumonia.  Twenty years ago, I contracted bacterial pneumonia. Not a pleasant experience. Kaiser Hospital advised me to keep a blanket wrapped around me until symptoms (fever and shaking chills, fatigue) subsided. Now, I stay current on pneumonia vaccinations.