Main Menu

Modern 5 speed swap

Started by jyotkc, January 19, 2021, 08:02:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

jyotkc

Hello all. First time post. I recently bought a 1973 Challenger 318 with 727 as a father son project. We are wanting to install a manual transmission in it and was wanting some input on which way to go. Should I go with a 833 4 speed which would be the easiest and probably the cheapest? Or should I bite the bullet and go with a modern 5 speed? And if so, which 5 speed would be the best fit for my 318. Not looking to race or anything but I do want to burn out and just have fun driving it. We installed the msd atomic efi which really made a difference in power.

anlauto

I like the kit these guys put out  :twothumbsup: https://shiftsst.com/

Welcome to the best E Body website in the WORLD  :grouphug:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Bullitt-

:welcome: Welcome to the forum @jyotkc .. I'm in a similar situation so I watch for info on conversions. I recently learned of a new Tremec 5-Speed that has my interest peaked, yet to hear of anyone using the TKX yet.  https://www.tremec.com/menu.php?m=183
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

docmel

I did the TREMEC 5 speed when Kiesler owned it on my Auto  71  Cuda.   I had to trim the floor board to fit it, and easy job.  Some say they dont agree with trimming the floor board, I say, why?   Its not original anymore regardless, and you cant see its been cut  (Unless you look underneath)    It came with a template, cutting took about 20 minutes.   Installation was straightforward     How about 1800 RPM at 70 MPH sound?   And the first 2 gears it pulls HARD and FAST.   Its been over 5 years now, and NO probs  How is TREMEC now, good question:  They went thru one or two owners since, and some have said they had customer service issues.  Check yourself 

PASSON (sic?) has or had a bolt in, but the last time I checked, maybe a year plus ago, they had many BO's that folks have waited a year for and the order has yet to be filled.  Again, check yourself    Good luck

hrtbkr

I bought the Kiesler when it first came out and had a lot of issues initially.  Shafi was a better salesman than engineer.  My guess is SST has all the problems worked out.  I have well over 100,000 miles on mine with few issues. My Challenger has 3.55s and runs 3,000 rpm at 80 mph.

I cut my tunnel and welded in a patch, but I've heard you can bump the tunnel with a hammer enough to avoid all that.  I saved the cut part so someone can put it back if they really want to go through the effort.

For about half the price, Passion also sells a four speed overdrive conversion-3 plus OD without the huge shift spacing of the stock OD.

Good luck

jyotkc

I'm trying to keep the cost under $3000. I did find the problem with my 727. Trans fluid kept shooting out the dipstick. Turns out there was a dirt dauber nest in the vent hole. Vacuumed it out, and the trans works amazingly. No I'm not in a rush to do the swap. Been doing a lot of research. The tk5 looks like the cheapest option but read about vibration issues. I liked the tss swap kit but pricey.

Chryco Psycho

I use a lot of the A833 OD or the Passon Hemi OD version

70rag383

Like some others on the site, I converted from 727 to manual and went with the Tremec TKO600 from Keisler (now SilverSport Transmission).  Alan referenced SST above. Alan also installed my 5-speed.  I've had zero problems and other than putting the 4-speed tunnel hump in I don't think there were any other floor mods required.

It's pricey so you'll need more than $3k.  However it's the best upgrade you can do as it totally changes the drivability and fun factor of the car.  Highway cruising is more enjoyable too.  70mph at approx 2500rpm with 3.55's. :twothumbsup:

ragtopdodge

you have a 73 318 car.

I say, cut it up and install a T56 Magnum kit:

https://moparconnectionmagazine.com/video-sst-slips-a-tremec-t56-magnum-into-a-70-r-t/

same price pretty much as the TKO600 kit.

Install a 4.10 rear end and you'll be golden w/a double overdrive.

anlauto

Quote from: ragtopdodge on January 28, 2021, 10:09:35 AM
you have a 73 318 car.

https://moparconnectionmagazine.com/video-sst-slips-a-tremec-t56-magnum-into-a-70-r-t/

I didn't realize they made an off-set shifter mount for the six speed to get the shifter into the stock location ...nice.... :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

gzig5

Quote from: jyotkc on January 28, 2021, 05:00:32 AM
I'm trying to keep the cost under $3000. I did find the problem with my 727. Trans fluid kept shooting out the dipstick. Turns out there was a dirt dauber nest in the vent hole. Vacuumed it out, and the trans works amazingly. No I'm not in a rush to do the swap. Been doing a lot of research. The tk5 looks like the cheapest option but read about vibration issues. I liked the tss swap kit but pricey.

I think the full kit from Brewers for an A833 kit is north of $4k.  The kits using modern transmissions are approaching $6k. 
If you shop the forums, ebay, CL, swapmeets,  and pickup used parts you can do it a lot cheaper.  Right now I have less than $1300 invested and I have everything I need except for connection between clutch pedal and throwout.  I figure it should all come in for under $2k including rebuilding the trans.

Dmod1974

Quote from: ragtopdodge on January 28, 2021, 10:09:35 AM
you have a 73 318 car.

Agree 100%  I went this route and it's fairly straightforward.  They give you templates and sheet metal to make the tunnel widening easier.  My center console still fits too.  The T56 is just a superior transmission all the way around - exceptional durability, great gear ratio spread and steps, smooth shifting, and can take tons of abuse and higher RPM shifting out of the box.  And for maniacs, these can be reworked to handle ridiculous amounts of torque that would twist most unibodies without a cage.

jyotkc

Yeah, I'm trying to shop around and piece together a kit myself. Has anyone used a manual trans from a Dakota ? I've read that that's a good option too.

jimynick

:popcorn:  Any chance of a wee bit more info on the DIY option? Parts, sources, etc.
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Racer57

Quote from: jimynick on January 28, 2021, 07:52:09 PM
:popcorn:  Any chance of a wee bit more info on the DIY option? Parts, sources, etc.
SST will answer all your questions. https://shiftsst.com/blog/post/challenger-barracuda-1970-1974-perfectfit-kit.html