Main Menu

Steering column causing too much interior heat

Started by Racer57, July 15, 2018, 08:13:37 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

'70 shaker Cuda, stock HP383, 5speed
Driver side has always been a lot hotter than passenger side. 85-90 degrees today and it was unbearable. Engine temp was 190. Kept moving hand around trying to figure out where the excessive heat was coming from. Placed hand on steering column and was unable to leave it there. I've used the foam column fillers in past and they were a joke and currently have a piece of heater hose on main shaft going inside of column in the the engine compartment. Now I feel its the main shaft itself since it is very close to the exhaust manifolds. How do you keep the heat from transferring all the way to the steering wheel ? I'm thinking about wrapping Reflextic around the main shaft from steering box and up as far as possible. 

BIGSHCLUNK

:popcorn:   curious myself..... my Shaker holds like a bazillion BTU's

Topcat

Go Cart bearing and then if necessary, a heat insulator material glued on top of it

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=91398.0.

I suspect heat may be coming in from other locations.

I run a 426 Hemi and even on 90 degree days, I can drive bare footed if I wanted to.

How good is your cooling system?

The heat insulation bubble reflective padding works really well a guy gave me a sample of.

No need for Fat Mat, other brands etc. IMO to stop heat.   :alan2cents:

Topcat

Ceramic coating on exhaust manifolds dramatically lowers inside engine compartment temperatures.

Ceramic coating is great.
No rust ever, paint over it high temp paint, and it looks almost correct burn color later,
Almost like powder coating.

This was another thing I did that I feel has really keeps inside interior temps down alot. 

GoodysGotaCuda

I have a bearing on my lower portion of the column, which somewhat effectively seals the column from hot air transferring up it. I would be surprised if it was the steel shaft itself transferring that much heat..

That said, I have no noticeable heat coming in from the column.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Racer57

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on July 15, 2018, 08:57:37 PM
I feel the same way. Its a huge piece of fiberglass holding down a lot of engine heat that normally escapes.

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Racer57 on July 16, 2018, 05:56:01 AM
Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on July 15, 2018, 08:57:37 PM
I feel the same way. Its a huge piece of fiberglass holding down a lot of engine heat that normally escapes.

Escapes from where? I have a steel hood with the hood insulation pad, I don't think that's going to be any worse than a shaker setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs