Main Menu

My First EBody ever...

Started by gpm6367, February 11, 2020, 05:08:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Quote from: gpm6367 on March 02, 2020, 04:29:45 AM
Just occurred to me I don't see rally gauge package on trim tag but do see tachometer. I need to have broadcast sheet fully decoded.

Here are close up of exhaust manifold markings. I tried to get numbers visible. What's the consensus?

The rally gauges is standard with the RT package, so you're good there. The seats are wrong they should have cloth inserts....not sure where Dan picked up on the orange ? Hard to tell on the manifolds  :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

blown motor

@gpm6367 I have a round front master cylinder out of a 72 if you're interested.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

gpm6367

Really? Cloth inserts? Rear seats too? Are they reproduced? Anyone got pictures?

Dan, where did you get orange plaid from? You saw part of the broadcast sheet; there?

gpm6367

gpm6367

Where do you guys buy your repop parts?! I called Roseville about the battery cables. What about repop heater and radiator hoses with correct stampings and clamps?

anlauto

Quote from: gpm6367 on March 02, 2020, 01:14:34 PM
Really? Cloth inserts? Rear seats too? Are they reproduced? Anyone got pictures?

Dan, where did you get orange plaid from? You saw part of the broadcast sheet; there?

Reproduction seat covers in cloth/vinyl are available for both the front ad rear seats.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

Roseville Moparts will be your one stop shop for every thing you'll need and you get a discount for being a member here :twothumbsup:

6bblgt

Quote from: gpm6367 on March 02, 2020, 02:21:20 AM
The rear glass and quarter glass appear original. Where are the markings on the door glass? I raised them both and do not see any.

the quarter glass are both dated "129" 12th month of 1969, 9 months before your car's production seems excessive  :dunno: but they did not have any "first in/first out" inventory practices
can you get close-up pics of the weather-strip on the leading edge of the 1/4 glass?
1970 model year's are "fuzzy" like the cat-whiskers, for 1971 they went to a smooth rubber

the door glass should have a similar logo at the trailing edge near the 1/4 window's logo

6bblgt

Quote from: gpm6367 on March 02, 2020, 02:36:41 AM
The argent trim on grille and headlight bezels should be black- is that a case of wrong year part or did someone refinish incorrectly?

a 1971 Challenger grill is '71 ONLY, Challenger was "argent" & Challenger R/T was "black" (the grill is not restored properly)

What's with the plaid interior? Trim tag calls for black, correct?

H5X9 = High Grade, cloth & vinyl bucket seat interior, BLACK (and the cloth part is black/orange/red plaid)
H5XX = High Grade, cloth & vinyl bucket seat interior, BLACK (and the cloth part is black/charcoal/white plaid)
H5F8 = High Grade, cloth & vinyl bucket seat interior, GREEN (and the cloth part is lt. green/med. green/dk. green plaid)

the trim books were send to dealerships with the codes under "H5XX" & "H5X9" switched - below is the correction
this lead to a number of "ODD" combinations: GB5 "bright blue" with H5X9 / FC7 "plum crazy" with H5X9 / etc.  :o

6bblgt

Being an early 71 I'm not going to run out and replace 1970 pieces as the possibility of the parts being carried over exists. I doubt they emptied the parts bins and tossed all 70 parts before starting 71 production.

I have not seen a '70 air cleaner on a '71 vehicle & claimed to be original, your car is 30,000+ cars out of the plant

The emblems bug me now that I know their incorrect. Who repops the Dodge emblem on trunk?

I know I saw it listed at Year One - there are probably others

6bblgt

Quote from: gpm6367 on March 02, 2020, 04:22:29 AM
Trim tag and decoding

there is a resource section here on e-bodies:  https://www.e-bodies.org/resources/
beware of generic decoders - although the '71 decoder is not up & running here  :crying: there is a '70 decoder that would also be close for most of it - but you will get some "UNKNOWNS"

6bblgt

Quote from: gpm6367 on March 02, 2020, 04:29:45 AM
Here are close up of exhaust manifold markings. I tried to get numbers visible. What's the consensus?

casting numbers are often difficult to read, but here's a picture, the dual exhaust manifold is on top: WHAT'S ON YOUR CAR?

gpm6367

What I think your saying is that I have a 71 Challenger grill, not an R/T grill and they are molded in black? I would imagine originals are difficult to find and expensive. Is repainting mind an option? Likely a matte black?

As for emblems, there are no R/T emblems on a 71? Not even in grill?

As for glass I saw no markings at all on door glass but will check again. Even replacement glass has a marking, correct?

Now for the big question: your  certain that H5X9 calls for that black/ orange/ red/plaid insert?  On gunmetal? I think I'm going to be sick... :barf: pretty polarizing combination. Does anyone make those seat covers?

As for air cleaner I've gotta try tracing history on the car and see if I can turn up old photos before replacing any 70 parts.

Thanks for the link to reference materials and your time...you must Judge these cars to have such a working knowledge. I will check my qtr glass weather strip.

anlauto

Dan is right about the seats....I was getting confused because Galen Govier's little white decoder says XV for black/orange :headbang:

YES, Legendary Auto Interior will likely have those covers, but you'll pay a premium  :bigmoney: