Main Menu

My First EBody ever...

Started by gpm6367, February 11, 2020, 05:08:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

6bblgt

as mentioned earlier, the "R/T" emblem on the decklid is incorrect - it should have a "DODGE" emblem #2965502, this hard to find emblem was recently reproduced

6bblgt

also, as mentioned - NO fender "R/T" emblem on Challenger R/Ts with side stripes  :stop:

6bblgt

all of the radiator core support that can be seen from the front of the car, should be painted "BLACK"

6bblgt

the rear bumper has slots in it that were for the "NEW" 1972 style bumper jacks - they started showing up late in the '71 model year

6bblgt

the front fenders are later design in anticipation for the '72-'74 style grill, the "NOTCH" (circled) started showing up during spring '71 production
also, 1971 Challenger R/T grills were molded in BLACK plastic - the main body should be all BLACK & more of the headlight bezels and hood trim were BLACK  :takealook:

6bblgt

the air cleaner is a 1970 unit, for 1971 the breather hose was routed around the  air cleaner to the driver's side snorkel
mid year there was a change in the passenger side snorkel, the diagonal line received a "HUMP" (circled)

your car is an early September 1970 scheduled R/T, second month of 1971 production = EARLY

6bblgt

it does NOT have the correct exhaust manifolds -
the correct 1970-'71 B&E-body dual exhaust manifolds are casting #s RH 2899879 & LH 2951865  :takealook:

6bblgt

on the driver's side, wrong exhaust manifold and it is missing the pre-heater "stove"
that's a disc brake master cylinder
& it appears to have the wrong throttle bracket
:rubeyes:

lots of excellent under hood detail pics in Ross' build thread, just be aware it's a 340 VS. 383 & engine wise it is different
https://forum.e-bodies.org/your-restoration-project-roseville-moparts/10/1971-shaker-340-tor-red-4-spd-cuda/1131/

6bblgt

besides the prior mentioned orange & black PLAID interior, the bezel & pattern are missing from the top of the pistol grip shifter

gpm6367

Thanks. If I'm replacing them I'm replacing them with the correct pieces so will reach out to Roseville.

The rear glass and quarter glass appear original. Where are the markings on the door glass? I raised them both and do not see any.

gpm6367

6bblgt how do you know so much about theses cars?!?! Wow. I suppose correcting these items will go in a logical order over time.

Funny I thought the same about the black out in front Radiator area visible through the grille.

The argent trim on grille and headlight bezels should be black- is that a case of wrong year part or did someone refinish incorrectly?

Being an early 71 I'm not going to run out and replace 1970 pieces as the possibility of the parts being carried over exists. I doubt they emptied the parts bins and tossed all 70 parts before starting 71 production.

The emblems bug me now that I know their incorrect. Who repops the Dodge emblem on trunk?

What's with the plaid interior? Trim tag calls for black, correct?

anlauto

Quote from: 6bblgt on March 02, 2020, 12:20:02 AM
it does NOT have the correct exhaust manifolds -
the correct 1970-'71 B&E-body dual exhaust manifolds are casting #s RH 2899879 & LH 2951865  :takealook:

Dan I think the passenger side manifold does say ....879 in his picture ? :rubeyes:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

Quote from: gpm6367 on March 02, 2020, 02:36:41 AM

What's with the plaid interior? Trim tag calls for black, correct?

Is there a picture of the fender tag somewhere ? That would tell what seats came with the car originally.

BTW....Dan is the man when it comes to these E Bodies  :worship:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

gpm6367

Trim tag and decoding

gpm6367

Just occurred to me I don't see rally gauge package on trim tag but do see tachometer. I need to have broadcast sheet fully decoded.

Here are close up of exhaust manifold markings. I tried to get numbers visible. What's the consensus?