Main Menu

NUMBER 999 !

Started by anlauto, January 16, 2017, 07:14:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Burdar

QuoteWhat part of the Dart you working on next?

This spring/summer I should remove the full length TTI headers (since they are too low) and try to sell them.  I'll buy the shorty headers for the extra clearance.  The full headers also interfere with the trans cooler lines as well as the aftermarket shifter cable.  Hopefully the shorties will eliminate those problems.  I also need to send the steering box to Firm Feel for a Stage 3 rebuild.

The main thing I'm worried about is wheels/tires.  They make or break a car IMO.  With the drop spindles, I'm limited on backspacing before the tie rod hits the wheel.  A stock spindle would allow more backspacing but since I want the car really low, the upper ball joint would be at an unsafe angle.  I really need one of those wheel fitment tools to get it exactly right.  Not those plastic tools but the one where you can mount a tire to it.  So, measuring for wheels is one of the next things I need to do.  Once I know those specs, the car could go to paint if money wasn't a concern.

Cuda Cody

Those steering boxes can be a pain to ship. @Burdar    :idea: There's a chance I might drive back from Carlisle and if you're on the way or want to meet up and give me your box, I can drop your steering box off at Firm Feel!  They're about 5 miles from my house.   

Quote from: Burdar on January 30, 2017, 08:30:58 AM

I also need to send the steering box to Firm Feel for a Stage 3 rebuild.

Burdar

I didn't make it to Carlisle last year but I was there in 14 and 15.  I'd like to try and make it there again this year.  I might take you up on that.  :bigthumb:

Cudakiller70

Quote from: Burdar on January 30, 2017, 08:30:58 AM

This spring/summer I should remove the full length TTI headers (since they are too low) and try to sell them.  I'll buy the shorty headers for the extra clearance.  The full headers also interfere with the trans cooler lines as well as the aftermarket shifter cable.  Hopefully the shorties will eliminate those problems.
I put TTI shortys on really like em. So easy to install and lots of room, 340 4 speed.

Spikedog08

Quote from: Burdar on January 30, 2017, 09:15:17 AM
I didn't make it to Carlisle last year but I was there in 14 and 15.  I'd like to try and make it there again this year.  I might take you up on that.  :bigthumb:

I sure hope you make it to the show this year!  We are planning something special for all the members that make the group / club yearly meet!  Gonna be sweet!   :clapping:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Cuda Cody

@Burdar  have you considered using Magnum Force 2 inch dropped spindles?  Do you know what wheels you're going to run yet?

http://www.magnumforce.com/magnumstore/shop/item.aspx?itemid=5

Burdar

Those are the spindles that I have.  I bought them used from another member.  Those spindles move the wheel and caliper bracket up 2" but the ball joint locations stay the same.  With a stock spindle, the tie rod end will end up inside the wheel.  On the drop spindle, the wheel is move up 2" which basically moves the tie rod down 2" by comparison.  Now the tie rod hits the wheel/tire instead of going inside of it.  That limits your backspacing.  An 18x8 wheel with about 5" of backspacing MIGHT fit.

This is the car I'm trying to get mine to look like.  This one has a complete aftermarket suspension system under it though. 

Burdar

This is the style of wheel I'm leaning towards.  I did a quick copy/paste job to see what it would look like.

HP_Cuda

Darren

What size rims are you looking to fit under there?

Another idea is take a page from Carrol Shelby's book and drop the UCA down 1" and use stock spindles. That will lower the ride height but typically that move is also met with using shorter coil springs, here the torsion bars don't change.

This is a tough one, and you would have to get a fairly large tire with big backspacing to have the tie rod clear.

B
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Burdar

18's in front for sure.  The red car above has 20's in the rear. 

Spikedog08

We are almost to 200 members!    :ohyeah:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

JS29

anlauto

...and Ola makes #200...... tell him what he's won Johnny.... :veryexcited: :veryexcited:

We just reached 200 members with the addition of cudaized

Welcome Ola, please stick around a contribute  :grouphug:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

HP_Cuda

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

A.Gramz

I think it just hit 300 today  :banana: