Main Menu

What do you think guys.... 71 AMC Javelin....

Started by Brads70, August 03, 2017, 04:14:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

IRON MAN

Brad, I have a 1973 Jeep Wagoneer powertrain 360 V8/factory TH400! Very rare! Question is can a 360 be bored and stroked to a 401? I got it to remove the heads and exhaust manifolds to put on my 68 AMX 390 (done). The 360 is a complete engine with all pulleys and accessories minus carb. It was a running engine and I have the compression figures for each cylinder. I had thoughts of replacing the 68 AMX M12 Borg Warner transmission with the Jeep TH400. I've kinda lost interest in the 68 AMX, but we'll see.

Chryco Psycho

Sorry no the 360 will not go to 401 , 390 block probably would
Did you at least call the guy in Edmonton Brad ?

Brads70

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 18, 2017, 06:58:10 PM
Sorry no the 360 will not go to 401 , 390 block probably would
Did you at least call the guy in Edmonton Brad ?

No I didn't call him , just exchanged a couple emails. He wants much more than I have to spend....

IRON MAN

Chryco Psycho, I was thinking of my high school buddie's Superformance ac cobra. It has a Windsor 351 bored & stroked to 427. A 390 can be safely bored to .040 over, not sure about the AMC 360. I now wonder what a 360 can be bored to. Maybe it is the old 343 that has been stroked to a 360? 

Chryco Psycho

I would have to do some more research but you would need a lot of wall thickness to bore out 40 CI extra when .060 over might gain 8 CI
Stroking is where you really gain the CI

Brads70

I've read the warranty  blocks had really thick cylinder walls and could be bored 360 to 401 same block. But they are more rare than a virgin Hemi block. so good luck in finding one. 
" There was also a "Service Replacement" block made as a modified GEN-3 design. This is a 401 casting (same casting number) without the displacement cast into the side and with a 360 bore and thicker deck. In theory this single block could be built as any 343-401 GEN-2 or GEN-3 engine. A dealer could stock one or two blocks to use for warranty replacement.
The main bearing web area was thicker in the 390, 401 and SR blocks, thick enough that two additional bearing cap bolt holes could be drilled and tapped for an aftermarket four bolt main cap, providing a stronger bottom end. AMC never built a factory four bolt main block, they sold aftermarket four bolt main caps through their Group 19 performance parts program.
The SR block also sold as a heavy duty racing block, which is speculated to be the real reason it was produced in the first place. It appeared in 1970 in time for the 1971 Trans-Am racing season, and was used in the factory Trans-Am backed cars prepared by TRACO for Penske Racing, with Mark Donohue the primary driver. Since it was a standard factory part it did not have to be homologated under T/A rules, and was not used in the 2501 "Mark Donohue" Javelins built to homologate the "duck tail" spoiler. Those received standard 360 or 390 engines, buyers choice. The only thing special about the Donohue Javelins were the spoiler and "Mark Donohue" signature decals. That makes it an easy model to clone, and makes it difficult for automobile collectors to identify original vehicles."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_V8_engine

Brads70

Ok found another possible candidate ...... Problem is I can't see how to contact the seller? Am I missing something?

Ad says its a 72 but the tail lights are 71 and possibly a AMX! Might be a good deal if it's not all rotted?

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/d/72-javelin-amx-project/6341085192.html

Roadman

Brads70

Quote from: Roadman on October 21, 2017, 04:33:42 PM
Click REPLY, top left. Send E mail.    :rebelflag"

Duh.... Thanks email sent!
Anyone around Indy that could go look for me if its still there and not a rust bucket?

Just looked at the member map... @B5Cuda440-6    :wave:

Brads70

Seller says he is sick , that the reason for selling the car. His emails are short and not containing much info.
            " rust  problem  needs restored 360 on pass side good compression on 1 lightens up as it goes back posted few more pics once weather changes I may get it done wrong frt seats I give 400 for frt spoiler some  other new parts in trunk got sick hate to have someone else do it but I like the body lines"
While always weary of scam artists, and at the same time visions of someone sick and dying its tough to press him for more necessary info?  I seem to have to send 3 emails to get one response.
I guess its a patience thing....  or a pass.

Cudakiller70

Quote from: Brads70 on October 24, 2017, 05:24:11 AM
Seller says he is sick , that the reason for selling the car. His emails are short and not containing much info.
            " rust  problem  needs restored 360 on pass side good compression on 1 lightens up as it goes back posted few more pics once weather changes I may get it done wrong frt seats I give 400 for frt spoiler some  other new parts in trunk got sick hate to have someone else do it but I like the body lines"
While always weary of scam artists, and at the same time visions of someone sick and dying its tough to press him for more necessary info?  I seem to have to send 3 emails to get one response.
I guess its a patience thing....  or a pass.
If you like it, run this to the end. I'm thinking if they are real sick, Meds can make a person incoherent. Also have seen people on serious meds sleep for days. Could be a scam could be legitimate. Heads up all the way.

IRON MAN

The passenger door does not seem to open or close properly. I opened my 68 AMX passenger door to the same spots in the pictures above and my 68 door retains the same door gap top to bottom. Also, there is a long piece of wood pushed up against the seat holding the brake pedal down. Why?

72 Challenger

Brake pedal is likely because the parking brake does not work.
Someday I will have a J0b.

IRON MAN

Thought about that. Would it not be easier to block a tire or two? Still, the issue with the passenger door needs resolving.

Brads70

Quote from: IRON MAN on October 24, 2017, 03:36:56 PM
Thought about that. Would it not be easier to block a tire or two? Still, the issue with the passenger door needs resolving.

I agree I'm hoping its just worn out hinges? I can't find anyone nearby that will go over and look. So,I just found a mobile mechanic that is nearby. I sent a message asking what it would cost me for him to go over and have a look, take a few cell phone pictures?