Main Menu

Leaf spring choice for road use

Started by Vettefab, May 28, 2018, 02:55:23 AM

Previous topic Next topic

BIGSHCLUNK

Quote from: 72bluNblu on June 26, 2018, 06:56:00 PM
Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on June 26, 2018, 02:52:53 PM

Not sure when they moved the manufacturing to Mexico,  but the XHD's on my car are the "sagging" ones and they're probably at least 8 years old.

Quote from: oldmoparbuff on June 26, 2018, 03:52:49 PM

Stiff as hell. I ran SS springs for a little bit before I bought the XHD's. They're good for launch traction and drag racing but they ride very stiff. I mean, I run 1.12" torsion bars up front and those SS speings made the back end too stiff even with the large torsion bars up front.
I have the BIG FF T bars myself. Ride is firm but not harsh. @blown motor rode in NIKKI just last year. Maybe he can chime in with an opinion

blown motor

Can't help you out much here. Your Milwaukee streets are so smooth that you almost don't need suspension.  :haha: Seriously, I don't pay a lot of attention to that stuff unless it's out at the end of the scale. I figure these are old cars, the ride isn't going to be like the new stuff and it is what it is.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

kawahonda

Hi guys,

Need your opinion. My A66 appears to have the correct R/T 4-leaf springs from the factory. However, "helpers' have been installed. Because of this, the helper mounting bracket prohibits me from changing the tire/wheel combo, so sadly I have to deal with the leaf springs first. Basically, the helper mounting hardware is about 3/4" away from making contact with the tire/wheel, and the wheels have 3.75" backspacing. Most aftermarket Rallye wheels are 4.5", so that will definitely be a problem.

My first thought is to get Eaton or Espo +1 springs, which I believe have 5 leafs. +1 because a little bit of rake is nice. The trunk of the car will contain the factory spare tire/hardware.

I find 72bluNblu's ride height to be pretty perfect. https://forum.e-bodies.org/wheels-tires-brakes-suspension-and-steering/12/leaf-spring-choice-for-road-use/7028/msg103349#msg103349

Does +1 get me around where he's at?

Is there any benefit over going the hassle of re-arching my stock springs vs grabbing a pair of good aftermarket Espo or Eaton 5-leafers? Are the aftermarket ones from Espo or Eaton better in every possible way over the originals?

I'm assuming replacing the leaf springs is an easy job?

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

303 Mopar

Quote from: kawahonda on July 09, 2018, 10:52:03 AM

Is there any benefit over going the hassle of re-arching my stock springs vs grabbing a pair of good aftermarket Espo or Eaton 5-leafers? Are the aftermarket ones from Espo or Eaton better in every possible way over the originals?

That appears to be the same as +1".  I would highly recommend ESPO, great quality and they have everything you need.  You may find a place to re-arch your springs, but by the time/effort/trouble you do all that there is not much cost savings with new springs.  I would suggest new shackle, bolts and bushings too unless yours are relatively new. It is relatively straight forward if you have access to three jack stands (one for each end + 1 for the pinion) and some tools. 

kawahonda

Thanks for that! Good call on getting new hardware with it. I was gonna ask about that.

Yea, plus with my current springs, after removing the helpers, the rear end will obviously drop a little more. Then I don't know what "stock" is and it would probably be quite a 'trial and error" process for re-arching.

I assume the 5-leaf design from Espo/Eaton are not too hard, not too soft. Just right?

I have two 3-ton jack stands and a 3-ton jack. Probably would be good to pick up another jack stand. Or just use my friend's lift!

303 Mopar

Quote from: kawahonda on July 09, 2018, 11:42:24 AM

I assume the 5-leaf design from Espo/Eaton are not too hard, not too soft. Just right?

I have two 3-ton jack stands and a 3-ton jack. Probably would be good to pick up another jack stand. Or just use my friend's lift!

Yes, I have had several ESPO springs on my cars and they are a nice ride.  You will also need to decide rubber or poly bushings.  I like rubber because polys "squeek" but others like them. Lifts are always better if you have access. 

dave73

I liked my espos when I ran them. Had 1.5" over stock and it looked great. Only changed them because I went a different route and am now running hotchkis for handling.

Fish owner

ESPO leaf springs.  Just off PA Interstate 81.  Talk with Laura.  I went up to pick mine up.  Laura knows her stuff.  I hope that helps.

Chryco Psycho

JS29

72bluNblu

Quote from: kawahonda on July 09, 2018, 10:52:03 AM
Hi guys,

Need your opinion. My A66 appears to have the correct R/T 4-leaf springs from the factory. However, "helpers' have been installed. Because of this, the helper mounting bracket prohibits me from changing the tire/wheel combo, so sadly I have to deal with the leaf springs first. Basically, the helper mounting hardware is about 3/4" away from making contact with the tire/wheel, and the wheels have 3.75" backspacing. Most aftermarket Rallye wheels are 4.5", so that will definitely be a problem.

My first thought is to get Eaton or Espo +1 springs, which I believe have 5 leafs. +1 because a little bit of rake is nice. The trunk of the car will contain the factory spare tire/hardware.

I find 72bluNblu's ride height to be pretty perfect. https://forum.e-bodies.org/wheels-tires-brakes-suspension-and-steering/12/leaf-spring-choice-for-road-use/7028/msg103349#msg103349

+1 springs will not get you where I'm at.

My car is sitting on Made in Mexico Mopar XHD's in that picture, and that's after they sagged. For reference, the front end of my car is lowered almost 2" from stock. The rear end height is probably closer to -1" from stock.

kawahonda

Guys, the more and more I look at things, the more I think just getting Espo +0 springs is what will look "right" again. I've seem a bunch of +1 shots, and it seems like the rear end is still floating above the rear tire, which doesn't look right to my eyes. Every single +1.5 and 2.0 lift looks.....really wrong, regardless of tire choice. Sorry. Just not my style.

I'm now at the point where .5" may be the most I'd go. Is that possible? Keep in mind I'm planning on 235's all around. I want the tire to shoot into the rear fender well to look right. But I don't want the rear end to look like it's taking a dump. It will have spare tire + hardware in the back. Even still, it seems like +1" is more for the folks that like OBVIOUS rake. I want enough rake that requires a second and third look to be sure........

7212Mopar

I had original stock spring and wheel well covered the top of tires by about 2". Replaced the springs with Mopar XHD and height stay the same. I then listened to CP and added a leaf from the original spring. The car now has the wheel well at the top of the tire. Tire is 275/46/17, a little shy of 26" If I recall correct. My car is on blocks now so no pictures.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

kawahonda

I think what I should do is remove my stupid helper springs, stick on the tire/wheel combo I want, then assess!