Main Menu

Hydro Boost Project

Started by Cudajason, December 31, 2021, 07:48:13 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Dmod1974

You should have some free play between the MC piston and the hydroboost pushrod with the pedal all the way up.  With the engine off and the hydroboost accumulator discharged after pressing the brakes down several times you should be able to feel it by hand as you depress the pedal.  After the pedal take up there should be a period of lighter effort before the MC piston starts to move.  If not, you're diagnosis is right and the compensating ports are likely being blocked off or restricted.  I'd shoot for about 1/8" minimum to account for heat expansion and any unintended pump up in the assist unit.

Cudajason

Quote from: Dmod1974 on September 05, 2022, 06:58:48 PM
You should have some free play between the MC piston and the hydroboost pushrod with the pedal all the way up.  With the engine off and the hydroboost accumulator discharged after pressing the brakes down several times you should be able to feel it by hand as you depress the pedal.  After the pedal take up there should be a period of lighter effort before the MC piston starts to move.  If not, you're diagnosis is right and the compensating ports are likely being blocked off or restricted.  I'd shoot for about 1/8" minimum to account for heat expansion and any unintended pump up in the assist unit.

Yes sir that seems to have been my issue.  I spaced it out with some washers and the brakes are not dragging now.  nit sure it is totally fixed yet, the pedal is not always coming all the way back, but I will work on that.

Sure was nice to take the car for a spin!

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

anlauto

Yea, but did you take your kid to school ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cudajason

Quote from: anlauto on September 06, 2022, 06:33:27 AM

sure did!  he was happy.
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

YellowThumper

Quote from: Cudajason on September 06, 2022, 11:17:52 AM
Quote from: anlauto on September 06, 2022, 06:33:27 AM

sure did!  he was happy.

Close call there with the kid. Glad that worked out for you.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Brads70

Some good info here? Push rod depth gauge  and I noticed they recommend 1 1/8" MC for hydroboost?
https://baer.com/Remaster.html

Cudajason

Quote from: Brads70 on September 07, 2022, 12:08:13 PM
Some good info here? Push rod depth gauge  and I noticed they recommend 1 1/8" MC for hydroboost?

Oh cool a new tool!

I love that Bear MC, I was going to go that route, but damn its pricey

The Wilwood is a 1 1/8th bore, as Wilwood recommended.

I did some reading and the pedal return is common in new instals, might just need to drive it a bit and bleed the HB unit.

I will also rebleed the brakes and see what that does.

Brads70

Quote from: Cudajason on September 07, 2022, 06:37:41 PM

Oh cool a new tool!

I did some reading and the pedal return is common in new instals, might just need to drive it a bit and bleed the HB unit.

I mentioned this because in their video they said 0-.005" clearance  of the pushrod? 
Maybe you will need a light spring to return the pedal?

Cudajason

Quote from: Brads70 on September 08, 2022, 05:51:31 AM
Quote from: Cudajason on September 07, 2022, 06:37:41 PM

Oh cool a new tool!

I mentioned this because in their video they said 0-.005" clearance  of the pushrod? 
Maybe you will need a light spring to return the pedal?

INTERESTING!

I will try it with one washer instead of two and see if that helps.  of course I need to sort our my overheating issue first.