Main Menu

Rear Sway Bar Opinions

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, May 03, 2020, 09:18:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

HP2

Quote from: Mrbill426 on May 14, 2020, 11:27:53 AM
I have found a few listings for a rear bar kit made by a company named ADDCO that says it is a direct replacement for a stock rear bar assembly.  I can't find a photo of it though; has anyone seen/purchased this particular kit??

:wrenching:

I've seen the Addco bars in their online catalog and they say its a direct replacement. Perhaps that means it is shaped similar to original and mounts in the stock location, but they also do not provide pictures of their product for you to confirm that. They do offer it in 3/4 and 7/8 sizes. Except for Firm Feel, every aftermarket rear sway bar I've seen for mopars is an under axle unit. It would be nice to confirm what exactly Addco has.

The key to not ripping out frame rails is to distribute the stress over a large area. A through u-bolt mount concentrates forces into a small area. A large saddle bracket distributes it over a larger area.

Mrbill426

Oh hell no; that won't work at all.  :unbelievable: Thanks for the warning! 

Quote from: dodj on May 14, 2020, 06:43:55 PM
Yes, don't go with the thru the frame u-bolt. I have one of those and I ripped the u-bolt through the frame.  :o

Mrbill426

I agree I want to see a photo of the actual kit or of one installed.  I hate the "photo coming soon" remarks on online catalog listings... wth heck? :huh:
I have left a message with the manufacture and with Summit to inquire what is what  :ebay:.
Thanks

Quote from: HP2 on May 15, 2020, 08:10:46 AM

I've seen the Addco bars in their online catalog and they say its a direct replacement. Perhaps that means it is shaped similar to original and mounts in the stock location, but they also do not provide pictures of their product for you to confirm that. They do offer it in 3/4 and 7/8 sizes. Except for Firm Feel, every aftermarket rear sway bar I've seen for mopars is an under axle unit. It would be nice to confirm what exactly Addco has.

The key to not ripping out frame rails is to distribute the stress over a large area. A through u-bolt mount concentrates forces into a small area. A large saddle bracket distributes it over a larger area.

Mrbill426

Thanks.  If this is all they have to offer I will pass on it too.  That is not a "direct" replacement.

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on May 14, 2020, 05:53:10 PM
https://www.jegs.com/i/ADDCO/020/261/10002/-1?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5_Pss9K06QIVQ77ACh2IEAc8EAQYASABEgKh1PD_BwE

Here it is at Jegs. I looked it up just now and I recall now why I didn't want this one. It's the frame rail mounted U bolts I didn't care for. On this one, you slide the u bolt into the frame and the threaded parts protrude out. What I was looking for was something that had a separate solid bracket welded to the frame rails.

I had a set up like this once on another car and I at the time, it just seemed a little cheesy in the way it mounted up.

Mrbill426

I may go that route if need and I do want it to appear as original as possible.  Thing is the factory bar came off the car as bent and twisted so I NEED a new stand alone bar to replace it.
I don't know what happened with this car but it obviously suffered some trauma along the way  :notsure:

Quote from: 7212Mopar on May 14, 2020, 05:54:59 PM
Unless you need it to be factory correct, the factory straps do not need to stay welded with the mounting brackets. You can cut off the existing straps and then weld a plate to the bracket. Locate and drill mounting holes and tap threads for a stud or bolt with hex cutoff. Weld the studs at the back side and then grind down flat. You can then use aftermarket bushing and strap to mount up the sway bar. They usually comes with grease fittings and make future replacement really simple to do.

70 Challenger Lover

I think in your situation where original is key, I'd pick up a nice used one off eBay and be done with it. I've seen them before.

Mrbill426

Might just do that  :smile:
Hopefully they are not too difficult to install after the fact and I can move on to other fish in the meantime.
:wrenching:

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on May 15, 2020, 08:50:21 AM
I think in your situation where original is key, I'd pick up a nice used one off eBay and be done with it. I've seen them before.

HP2

If stock layout is necessary, contact Firm Feel. Stock style is all they sell. They list the OEM 3/4" on their site but they can make custom sizes if you ask. They will want to talk to you about this to make sure it fits well with teh rest of your set up. They have been building handling mopars since the 1980s and they won't just pass off parts for a sale. They want your car to be safe and perform. They know their stuff.

MOPAR MITCH

Mr Dodj says: "It's a good idea to go with a company's "package". Sets things up pretty good for most with the engineering of matching parts done for you. Probably no good for Mitch. Lol."

The fact is that I worked at creating my own "package" that works superbly... unless you'd experience it yourself.. my "package"... you wouldn't know what to compare against.  The package from Hothckis is comparable to my own past experiments.. trial and review, etc.. until I settled on a package more intended for my activities.  In my opinion, the Hotchkis package would not be up to the standard that I settled on many, many years ago... back in the mid-late 1980s... and my limits were following a set of SCCA Solo II E/Street Prepared rules.  My "package" is still 100% street/highway drivable... and of course it favors smooth roads... I avoid rough roads, potholes, railroad tracks, etc... or at least slow down and drive slowly through those areas (no fun driving over rough roads).

IF I wanted to just have a better street/hwy car, and NOT have it competitive for SCCA competition, then I would've stopped the progress.  BUT, the final package that I have is still fine and A-OK for driving on the street/hwy.... in fact it's probably the better package for anyone who truly wants to lean on the more serious side of a total improved handling setup.  If you want to compromise, then just just go softer as Hotchkis has done... good for the street/hwy.... but they could've done better.

dodj

@MOPAR MITCH
Not sure if you took it this way or not...but it was meant as a compliment. You want a better handling set-up than the average person.
:cheers:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

MOPAR MITCH

Dodj -- T/Anks...  :cheers:

I'm very proud of what I've accomplished and worked at over long length of time using/racing my car... and its driven on the streets/hwys.. not just raced (AX/HSAX/HPDE)... but at the track events is where it shows what its worth!

Improving the handling on our cars is relatively easy... just for the owner to decide on the level they want.   Regarding TBs, I can't believe how many people are soft with their selections.

For the rear sway bar, stepping up beyond the factory size of 3/4".. say to 7/8".. or better yet 1"... progressively improves the F/R balance... because our cars, especially with a BB heavy front end engine, all under-steer too much.  In my ooinion, the aftermarket companies that support the Mopar scene should all be offering at least 7/8" or the 1" options.

Note:  I do like the concept/design of the Hotchkis rear sway bar because it offers 3-steps of adjustment... I'm pretty sure some other companies offer it, as well... even though it mounts/hangs from the differentials, its OK... and easier to install, as well as allowing exhaust clearance.  BUT, the factory OE frame-hung design is technically better.... purchase from Firm Feel.

FSHTAIL

The cheapest place I've seen for Hotchkis sway bars are on sportcompactwarehouse.Com

Free shipping, no tax, I have a code for 3% off and nobody can touch their prices in my research. 

I bought every QA1 product from them. 
I currently have an order through them for the Hotchkis front/rear swaybar kit.    It's on backorder, I'm not in a rush.   Should ship around the first of the month. 

The code is: Tax20

I am not affiliated with them. 
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

70 Challenger Lover

@Scooter   did you ever get your Hotchkis rear leafs? I ordered mine on May 12 and they are still back ordered. Every time I call, I am told they will ship in a couple days but then weeks later, I'm calling again. Starting to get peeved at them.

I wanted to use the Hotchkis leafs but if they force me to use a competitor, which other brand offers a nice steel spring? I see PST has some but I don't want to guess on this.

Scooter

Funny you should bring that up, I have not received them yet. Holding out as I got 10% off and free shipping. I called Jegs who I placed the order with last week for an update and just received this email reply:

QuoteThank you for your patience! I got ahold of the vendor and it looks like your order is about to ship by the end of the week and should be completely caught up by next week if it doesn't go out this week.

70 Challenger Lover

I've been calling every two weeks and I keep getting that same response. Sorry you're still waiting but it's some consolation that it's not just me. I'm very close to canceling the order but people seem to like these springs and I'm not sure if there are other good steel springs.

If I did cancel, I'd still be open to composite ones but that probably means all sorts of trouble to keep metal from rubbing against them.