normal_post in Torsion Bar install problem in Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering Author Topic: Torsion Bar install problem  (Read 248 times)

Offline SFEBODY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Small Block
  • index in Torsion Bar install problem in Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
    • Share Post
xx in Torsion Bar install problem in Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Torsion Bar install problem
« on: August 06, 2022, 06:16:07 AM »
Ok so I started to install my new torsion bars into my QA1 lower control arms and started with the right side. Bought the clamp from Mancini and had to beat the (F) out of it to install it but it dod finally go in.

This leads me to the left side, I beat on the clamp so hard that it started to slip, so i tighten the clamp bolts until WHAM, yes one snapped, Of course they are harden bolts so my drill wont do anything to get it removed.

Since the torsion bar is started in the LCA, does anyone have a tip on how to get it in the last 1/2" so I can get the retainer clip in? HELP HELP HELP

Brian

Linkback: https://forum.e-bodies.org/wheels-tires-brakes-suspension-and-steering/12/torsion-bar-install-problem/26058/

Online anlauto

• Trade Count: (17)
  • E-Body Wizard
  • index in Torsion Bar install problem in Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
  • Life is like a box of chocolates....
    • Share Post
    • www_sm in Torsion Bar install problem in Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
xx in Torsion Bar install problem in Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Re: Torsion Bar install problem
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 07:49:27 AM »
First off, you should never have to beat the crap out of a bar to get it in, second, that clamp deal is meant for removal.... :alan2cents:

Grease up both ends of the bar, as well as both sockets.....line everything up.....put the bar in from the rear, DON'T FORGET TO PUT THE BOOTS ON FIRST  you should be able to start it by hand, or at least get it close.....then tap on the rear of the bar with a hammer.....when you're close to the socket...I use the double hammer method, hold a small hammer on the bar and hit that hammer with another hammer :tool:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Offline Mrbill426

• Six Pack
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 08:13:21 AM »
You should not have to fight it; maybe the new control arm has paint inside the socket? It is an interference fit (at least mine are) so really no room for paint between the bar and socket.

E-Bodies Cuda Challenger Message Forum

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 08:13:21 AM »

Offline Brads70

• E-Body Wizard
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 10:35:08 AM »
In addition to what has been said, if the bars are powder coated or painted you might need to remove it just on the hex parts before installing them.

Online anlauto

• Trade Count: (17)
  • E-Body Wizard
  • Life is like a box of chocolates....
    • Share Post
    • www_sm in Torsion Bar install problem in Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2022, 11:31:55 AM »
 :iagree: that goes without saying.... :drinkingbud:

Offline tparker

• Big Block
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2022, 12:20:13 PM »
Yeah, I removed and installed my by hand. I have heard they can be a bit tough some times and there is a tool for it. But mine came out easily and went in easily. I would double check nothing is in the way and preventing it from seating correctly. Some debris or what not.

E-Bodies Cuda Challenger Message Forum

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2022, 12:20:13 PM »

Tags:

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter Share via whatsapp

xx
Torsion Bar Install

Started by 7212Mopar

5 Replies
Last post November 30, 2017, 10:39:24 PM
by 7212Mopar
clip
PST 1.03 torsion bar install.. LCA orientation?

Started by FSHTAIL

25 Replies
Last post July 02, 2020, 07:32:02 AM
by RUNCHARGER
xx
Trunk Torsion Rod Install

Started by Shane Kelley

18 Replies
Last post May 11, 2017, 12:39:04 PM
by CudaMoparRay
xx
Damper install problem