Main Menu

Torsion Bar install problem

Started by SFEBODY, August 06, 2022, 06:16:07 AM

Previous topic Next topic

SFEBODY

Ok so I started to install my new torsion bars into my QA1 lower control arms and started with the right side. Bought the clamp from Mancini and had to beat the (F) out of it to install it but it dod finally go in.

This leads me to the left side, I beat on the clamp so hard that it started to slip, so i tighten the clamp bolts until WHAM, yes one snapped, Of course they are harden bolts so my drill wont do anything to get it removed.

Since the torsion bar is started in the LCA, does anyone have a tip on how to get it in the last 1/2" so I can get the retainer clip in? HELP HELP HELP

Brian

anlauto

First off, you should never have to beat the crap out of a bar to get it in, second, that clamp deal is meant for removal.... :alan2cents:

Grease up both ends of the bar, as well as both sockets.....line everything up.....put the bar in from the rear, DON'T FORGET TO PUT THE BOOTS ON FIRST  you should be able to start it by hand, or at least get it close.....then tap on the rear of the bar with a hammer.....when you're close to the socket...I use the double hammer method, hold a small hammer on the bar and hit that hammer with another hammer :tool:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mrbill426

You should not have to fight it; maybe the new control arm has paint inside the socket? It is an interference fit (at least mine are) so really no room for paint between the bar and socket.

Brads70

In addition to what has been said, if the bars are powder coated or painted you might need to remove it just on the hex parts before installing them.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

tparker

Yeah, I removed and installed my by hand. I have heard they can be a bit tough some times and there is a tool for it. But mine came out easily and went in easily. I would double check nothing is in the way and preventing it from seating correctly. Some debris or what not.