Main Menu

1970 FE5 'Cuda Build

Started by 1970Cuda, January 10, 2017, 04:42:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

None of these pictures are correct :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

usraptor

Yes, the larger vent tube just vents to the air inside the frame rail. 
Alan, not sure what you mean about all the pics being incorrect?  Please explain.

anlauto

The pictures of the white car look correct....I was referring to the underside pictures.
Pictures of the pink car....that tube should be inside the frame rail.
Pictures of the black car....missing the steel "S" tube that goes through the frame...shouldn't have a long rubber hose like it does.
R/T Specialties sells the clip for the 70 Cuda set-up :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

usraptor

Alan, so on the black car, mine, a "S" tube connects to the gas tank nipple and then to the bottom of the vent tubing.  I assume the connections are made by a rubber hose?

anlauto

Quote from: usraptor on March 07, 2021, 10:36:28 AM
Alan, so on the black car, mine, a "S" tube connects to the gas tank nipple and then to the bottom of the vent tubing.  I assume the connections are made by a rubber hose?

Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks like you're missing the "S" tube altogether. You appear to have a rubber hose passing through the frame which is not correct  :dunno:

1970Cuda

Hi Alan and USRAPTOR,

So the kit that I purchased (as few years ago) is for a 1970 - 1971 E-Body (wish I would have bought stainless, but that's another story), and it has all the components that Alan is showing.

The vent line that goes into the frame rail is 5/16" (I measured it), and the second, smaller line is 1/4" as is the "S" line is also 1/4". I do not think (surmising here) that the factory would go from a larger line to a smaller one (vice verse) as I don't recall anywhere that this has occurred before. I need to put in the tank first to see exactly where the "S" line goes, but it does seem to fit nicely (and snugly) into the frame slot. Also, the "S" line is bent up on one side and down on the other, it sure would seem that it connects to the 1/4" vent line running out of the trunk, to the "S" line, runs through the rail opening and then connects again to the tank vent nipple. I'll mock it up this coming weekend to see if this is correct.

What I noticed is missing is the Vapor Shield. See picture number 2 below. I'm using the '71 - '74, but I have my original '70, which is different than the later model shield. I'll post that too once I install it.

usraptor

I've never seen the vapor shield.  Where does it attach?  I think I have my original S tube in my parts stash.  I'll have to go through it and see.

anlauto

I'm not sure that the 1970 Cuda got that shield  :thinking:

1970Cuda

The '70 definitely has a Vapor Shield - I'm posting a picture of my original below that is badly rusted, that I took off my 'Cuda. There is a manufacturer for the shields, both '70 and the later one, but I believe he's out of business. It was hard to find the '71 - '74 shield, but I did find one. The 1970s are also scarce and I'll pick up one of those too in case I run across another part that no one makes, which is another shield the runs through the frame rail. I'll post that picture too. My body man LOST mine (grrr) and now all I have is the picture of one. He was going to make one for me (which was also badly rusted), but I gave up on that because he's too busy.

It's for the four lines that run to a gas tank with the ECS for the CA emissions. See pictures below.

Oh, and the vapor shield attaches to the wheel inner well. I test fitted the new one and it fits perfectly.

1970Cuda

Quick Update:

So I finally finished putting on my vent tube assembly (and the vapor shield) and just about finished the undercarriage of my project. (I only have the pick-up to put on, but I'm sending that off with my fuel gauge to have calibrated first.)

I wanted to add a few new pictures, including the vent tube, "S" tube and vapor shield. I looked through the shop manual and I honestly couldn't find any picture of either the "S" tube or shield.

Now I'm jumping into the interior and my next project is the Dash Frame installation (it's being painted now) and also my heater box restoration.
Hope your projects are coming along nicely.

1970Cuda

Hi everyone - So another flash update on my project – still making progress on the 'Cuda restoration.

1.   Finished the heater box, and just waiting to install the blower motor before the final assembly of it and placement back into the project. (Unfortunately, the shop has lost it and I'll need to locate a replacement one. Grrr ...)
2.   Finished the back light assembly (see picture). (And installed the vapor line "clip" in the trunk compartment.)
3.   Finished the installation of the refresh rebuild on the two-speed wiper motor. (Thanks Cody for providing me with the awesome restoration source.) (See picture.)
4.   Purchased (at the MoPar Nationals) a restored, single-speaker, Non-A/C dash pad. Now I'm sending out VIN to have it restored.
5.   Located a bunch of parts that were missing from my 'Cuda back at the MoPar Nationals. And just in time for a great winter project, re: cleaning, restoring and polishing.

anlauto

The progress looks great !
"Sending out the VIN" sounds a little scary, I hope it's not to the same company that does your blower motor(s) :'(

1970Cuda

Hey thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate the support!

Actually, for the VIN restoration, it's A.G. Backeast is the entity that Bob (?) from Ultimate Rides suggested. I think you've used them before. My VIN is looking pretty sad - not damaged, just needs professional cleaning and painting.

I actually did post a "Parts Wanted" for the heater blower motor. I'm going to Fall Fling at Woodley Park in So Cal, so maybe I'll get lucky and find one there. :^)

1970Cuda

Hi all,

I am excited to report that progress continues on my restoration project. I finished my heater box restoration (see picture) and it is ready to be installed this weekend. In addition, installation of the dash, sans the dash pad, is ready. (I am still waiting for the pad to be returned since October.) At least I can install the under dash harness too.

Next will be rebuilding my steering column. I am dreading that actually, because it looks to be pretty difficult and time consuming. I will watch Cody's videos on it again ... and thanks for these too ... but still dreading it though.

Q: Has anyone changed the locking mechanism from the rest of the "tumbler"? I have new door locks and want to key my ignition switch to this new lock. I have the key from my original initiation switch and it turns, so there's no problem there.

Hope everyone is having success on keeping their projects going.

ebodyproducts

Great job on the heater box!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
E-Body Products
www.ebodyproducts.com
606-481-9014