Main Menu

69 Barracuda Fastback G3 Hemi Father Son Project

Started by cudaragtop, May 14, 2017, 10:25:45 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

Dang, I can't see the photos in the last post.  :(    I love seeing your work too. 

YellowThumper

Awesome work there.

If your axle is already painted. Locate where you are going to mount tab and grind off coating in a small spot.  Drill a hole in mounting bracket face and weld thru hole. Keep heat down and then you only need to repaint bracket face.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

cudaragtop

Quote from: YellowThumper on January 15, 2018, 09:17:28 PM
Awesome work there.

If your axle is already painted. Locate where you are going to mount tab and grind off coating in a small spot.  Drill a hole in mounting bracket face and weld thru hole. Keep heat down and then you only need to repaint bracket face.
That's a great tip.
The tabs actually have 2 holes in each and I was thinking exactly that. Shouldn't need much to hold them.

Pointed to a different source for the pics. Hopefully they show up now. Funny, I always see them.

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

Cuda Cody

soundcontrol

Cool. I got a Wilwood set, didn't come with any flexlines, for the front I got them. Will have to get a set for the rear also.

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: soundcontrol on January 16, 2018, 01:02:02 AM
Cool. I got a Wilwood set, didn't come with any flexlines, for the front I got them. Will have to get a set for the rear also.

May consider a residual valve as well. I do not have one with my Wilwoods, but I do have one I'd like to install. I get decent pad knockback on, I believe, the rear brakes. From what I have seen online, people have used up to a 10psi residual [yes, on discs] to remedy that.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

soundcontrol

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on January 16, 2018, 02:42:01 AM

May consider a residual valve as well. I do not have one with my Wilwoods, but I do have one I'd like to install. I get decent pad knockback on, I believe, the rear brakes. From what I have seen online, people have used up to a 10psi residual [yes, on discs] to remedy that.

I was gonna get an adjustable proportioning valve, is that the same thing?

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: soundcontrol on January 16, 2018, 06:16:01 AM
Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on January 16, 2018, 02:42:01 AM

I was gonna get an adjustable proportioning valve, is that the same thing?

It's not unfortunately. The prop valve controls the amount of flow to the rear brakes, allowing you to balance the brake application front/rear.

The residual valve typically helps drum brakes take up slack. For this instance they are used to combat pad knockback. Pad knockback is where you corner, the wheel bearing displaces, moving the rotor relative to a fixed caliper. That movement pushes the pistons back and leaves you with slack on a disc brake setup.

Some oems get around this by floating the caliper [and or rotor], or by using caliper pistons that rotate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

cudaragtop

Residual valve.

Speedway description:
A residual valve acts like a one-way or check valve to maintain brake system pressure to eliminate the problems of a spongy pedal. This 2 PSI residual valve is installed inline between the master cylinder and disc brake calipers to keep 2 PSI of residual pressure at the caliper after the brake pedal is released.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Disc-Brake-Residual-Valve-2-PSI-Purple,5312.html

69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: cudaragtop on January 18, 2018, 08:35:49 PM
Residual valve.

Speedway description:
A residual valve acts like a one-way or check valve to maintain brake system pressure to eliminate the problems of a spongy pedal. This 2 PSI residual valve is installed inline between the master cylinder and disc brake calipers to keep 2 PSI of residual pressure at the caliper after the brake pedal is released.

I've seen posts online where 2psi wasn't enough on wilwoods. I have a 10psi to install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

cudaragtop

Good info Goody.
I'll find out what was used with OEM Grand Cherokee Brakes since that's what I'm running on the rear.

cudaragtop

Made up the hard lines for the rear brakes.
Still need to attach the Tabs where the hard lines transition to the flex lines to the Housing.

Jim AAR

Quote from: cudaragtop on January 28, 2018, 03:33:00 PM
Made up the hard lines for the rear brakes.
Still need to attach the Tabs where the hard lines transition to the flex lines to the Housing.

Great job, you do very nice & clean work....  :yes: :yes:

cudaragtop

Quote from: Jim AAR on January 28, 2018, 04:12:38 PM
Great job, you do very nice & clean work....  :yes: :yes:

Thanks Jim.
I try to copy the best.  :ohyeah:
Slow going. Not much time for the car these days.
That and my shop is the great outdoors here in the Pacific NorthWET.
:wrenching:

Chryco Psycho

The residual valves keep the seals expanded too preventing air in the system ,. ,used them before & the factory master has them built in too .
Step by Step  :twothumbsup: