Main Menu

69 Barracuda Fastback G3 Hemi Father Son Project

Started by cudaragtop, May 14, 2017, 10:25:45 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

anlauto

That electric assisted steering is cool :drooling:

That AC box looks huge compared to the ones I've installed :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cudaragtop

Quote from: anlauto on January 23, 2021, 09:22:51 AM

It is huge!
Not knowing anything, I just went with the biggest one they had. Figured bigger was better and it would blow colder...
Probably should have gone with the next smaller one for easier install but I was able to make it fit.

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

anlauto

Quote from: cudaragtop on January 23, 2021, 10:21:32 AM

It is huge!
Not knowing anything, I just went with the biggest one they had. Figured bigger was better and it would blow colder...
Probably should have gone with the next smaller one for easier install but I was able to make it fit.

I've installed two and I'm waiting for the third to arrive...These were Vintage Air E-Body kits...look a lot smaller then yours... However, I love the idea you used for the two heater hoses....I might just copy that one... :D
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

cudaragtop

However, I love the idea you used for the two heater hoses....I might just copy that one... :D

Thanks Alan! Be my guest... greatest form of flattery...

I've been trying to hide the plumbing or make it as clean as possible when I can.
Not enough room to put the heater hose bulkhead fittings directly behind the intake manifold on an A-Body or I would have tried to hide them back there out of site. This was the next best option I could come up with after noodling on it for quite a while. When it came time to make holes in the firewall, I wanted to be darn sure...

-10AN Fittings with 37* faces.

-10AN 90* to barbed push seal fittings but I will be using Gates 32922 PowerGrip Hose Clamps on these for a clean install.

Gates 32922 PowerGrip Hose Clamp

69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

nsmall

Thanks for the update and I was cheering for you and your son and wondered where you went as it has been a while since I have seen you posting.

I wouldnt call you a crazy dad rather the coolest dad ever for doing this.  Who cares about money at this point, just keep moving forward making great memories and I know your son and you will have a blast driving the car once done.  Good job Dad. :bradsthumb:

YellowThumper

Thank you for the extensive update.
I also have been wondering...

Awsome amount of details.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

cudaragtop

Replacing the Barracuda Flip Top Gas Cap with a New Challenger Fuel Door.
Black Vapor Edition
Keeping the stock filler tube.
Will be cutting out the sheet metal from a Challenger and patch it into the Barracuda.

Really like the look of the new flip top. Seen a couple done.
Got a line on the sheet metal. Ordered the Gas Door/Cap
Unlike the Barracuda Flip top gas cap the Challenger flip top is just a door.
Requires a cap underneath.

Found a gas cap to use on the Barracuda fill tube under the New Gas Door.
Duralast 6800
This is my fuel fill tube and the Duralast Fuel Cap

A couple other E-Bodies with New Challenger Flip Top Gas Cap

anlauto

cudaragtop

Little by little...
Mocking up my own Cold Air Intake with cardboard. Will have to put the radiator, fans and shroud back on to verify clearance.
Could make it seal to the hood but will probably go with a lid. Maybe incorporate some smoked clear plexiglass in the lid.

EPAS Electric Power Steering, Ididit Tilt Steering Column

I cut up the original column to get all the measurements I needed.
I used the measurements to draw how I wanted Ididit to modify my Ididit Tilt Column.
Sent them this drawing and a form they emailed me and they sent back my modified column.
They charged me $100 and I retain the Ididit warranty.
Then I got to putting the column and the EPAS motor together...
The longer shaft of the EPAS motor goes inside the column. The DD shaft inside the column goes into the DD coupler on the motor.

It looks close and it is close, but it does clear turning when lock to lock.

Test fit in the car then took it out so I could drill and tap the motor and column and paint the column and brackets.
Using the old column, I cut out the section with the 4 mounting holes in it and slid it over the Ididit column.
The I located it and rotated it to where it needed to be to fit. Marked it. Drilled it. Tapped all the holes so the mounting bolts go through the Bracket, old column tube and into the new column. Then drilled 2 more holes through the column into the motor mounting collar and tapped them too. So a total of 6 Bolts mounting the column and motor to the steering column frame.
Had to cut a chunk out of the stock mounting bracket to clearance for the motor. See squared off cut out.

Put it all together and it looks like this. Used SEM Trim Black to paint the column and brackets.

Transmission Mount and tunnel progress.
The (E-Body) Hooker Blackheart 8HP70 Transmission Adapter Plate Part # BHS570

1. Used the Blackheart piece in place of the USCT Transmission Bracket. The much longer horizontal part of the Blackheart adapter made the placement of the crossmember and Tunnel mounting brackets in the tunnel much better by lining up with the flat parallel sides of the perimeter frame.
2. Sectioned the Crossmember (See red lines). Removed a couple inches so it doesn't hang down below the frame rails.
3. Cut down the top of the Basket. Welded to the crossmember after setting the transmission height and angle.
4. We have a little bit of up/down and left/right adjustment if needed but we got it lined up pretty well, I think...

Looks like this with the sheet metal cover sitting on top of the Tunnel Frame.

Modern Challenger Fuel Door swap.

Getting the front suspension on so we could set the ride height and transmission angle.

We were up and down several times, and bouncing and adjusting...  Engine and trans are set to 2.5* downward towards the rear.
We gave ourselves room to adjust. Guess I didn't take a picture after we set the ride height... "¯\_(ツ)_/¯"
Will do that next time. Going to put the fenders on too, to make sure everything clears. Find out if we need to roll the fender lips or not.

Merry Christmas Everyone
Next update will be in 2022 Happy New Year.

ebodyproducts

Very hi-tech and cool build. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
E-Body Products
www.ebodyproducts.com
606-481-9014

cudaragtop

Quote from: ebodyproducts on December 24, 2021, 10:45:18 AM

Thanks, it's starting to resemble a car again.

Most of my updates go on the G3 Hemi Swap page on FB, Fishtales 67-69 Barracudas on FB and FABO (I'm 'Cuda_ragtop on FABO).

Wish I could do one update and have it post to all the places at once.
Anyone working on an API to do that? Write your update and then check the boxes where you want to post...
Probably extremely difficult if you want to block spammers though.

ebodyproducts

Quote from: cudaragtop on December 24, 2021, 02:35:48 PM
Quote from: ebodyproducts on December 24, 2021, 10:45:18 AM

Thanks, it's starting to resemble a car again.

Most of my updates go on the G3 Hemi Swap page on FB, Fishtales 67-69 Barracudas on FB and FABO (I'm 'Cuda_ragtop on FABO).

Wish I could do one update and have it post to all the places at once.
Anyone working on an API to do that? Write your update and then check the boxes where you want to post...
Probably extremely difficult if you want to block spammers though.
That's over my head, I'm still working on my first flux capacitor.

E-Body Products
www.ebodyproducts.com
606-481-9014

YellowThumper

Very nice. Solid in your details. Gonna be awsome ride for sure.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

anlauto

Hey Randy @cudaragtop  any updates on this project, it's been almost a year since the last one  :popcorn: