Main Menu

'70 Vert - waited long enough...

Started by Cuda416, September 09, 2020, 10:15:06 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda416

Made a bunch of progress on the jig today. Tacked up the end pieces and mocked it up. Next is to install the diagonal bracing.

U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

anlauto

Well, it looks fantastic, I hope you share the same passion for fixing rusty cars as you do for metal fabrication....you certainly have plenty of skill there :worship: :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda416

That's a helluva compliment, thanks! My skills don't hold a candle to the folks around here but I'm watching all of you and learning as much as I can.

I plan on owning this car forever so I want to do it right the first time and enjoy it. There will be mistakes but I'll do my best to recognize them,  regroup,  and correct them before moving on to each next step.
U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

larry4406

Nice frame jig.

Another member here I recall built one similar for his 71 cuda I believe.  His had diagonals on the bottom "rails" vs your ladder style.

Cuda416

The diagonal supports are going to run from the top of each upright to the bottom of it's adjacent upright. It will resemble a roof truss. I should have pictures later today.
U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

RacerX

Quote from: larry4406 on August 08, 2021, 07:21:14 AM
Nice frame jig.

Another member here I recall built one similar for his 71 cuda I believe.  His had diagonals on the bottom "rails" vs your ladder style.

You might be thinking of mine?       '71 cuda here...

Cuda416

I really like the way you made the standoffs adjustable. Heads up, I'm stealing that idea! lol... 

Where did you get the pinch clamps? I was thinking of fabbing some.
U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

RacerX

Quote from: Cuda416 on August 08, 2021, 09:38:49 AM
I really like the way you made the standoffs adjustable. Heads up, I'm stealing that idea! lol... 

Where did you get the pinch clamps? I was thinking of fabbing some.

1 inch bolts fit nicely in the factory alignment holes.   The nut provides good adjustment.   No supports welded
to the car.

Pinch weld clamps:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302558738135

They are quite heavy and do the job nicely.   I bought two sets and the shipping was still only $18.50

Cuda416

Well that's a lot easier than making them.. thanks for the link!
U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

Cuda416

Got tired of abrasive cutting wheels..what's a guy to do.

Well he grabs some scrap and rigs up a cold saw...  osha can suck it. Lol..

Got the diagonal bracing fit and tacked in less than 30 minutes after that.

U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

RacerX

Quote from: Cuda416 on August 08, 2021, 01:18:44 PM
Got tired of abrasive cutting wheels..what's a guy to do.

Well he grabs some scrap and rigs up a cold saw...  osha can suck it. Lol..

Got the diagonal bracing fit and tacked in less than 30 minutes after that.

Well that's one way of doing it!     :bigthumb:

I've heard that regular saw RPM is more than is necessary for those cold/dry cut blades so you might
have blade life issues.   Sure beats using cutting wheels though!

I got tired of waiting for the horizontal band saw to cut through thick metal at the rate of one layer of
molecules per minute so I bought one of those dedicated cold chop saws.   Worth every penny in time
saved!

Cuda416

Oh I'm with you on a dedicated saw. These blades are designed for what I'm doing with it,  the saw on the other hand well.... lol
U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

Cuda416

@RacerX I just saw the "slide" you made for installing the dynacorn rear assembly, frikin' genius!
U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

Cuda416

More progress on the "M1 tank jig"

It's not obvious from the picture but the wheels are attached to "carriages" that can be removed when not in use. I need to make the standoffs that will slide into the 4 pedestals at the ends. The standoffs will be held in place with 4 3/8 bolts. You can see the nuts welded in place for that purpose. The end braces are also removable. There are 3 5/8" bolts holding each corner together. I also have yet to fabricate the 4 45 deg corner braces. There are some spots in which I need to do a final burn but for the most part, this is it and how it's going to be.

U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

Brads70