Main Menu

71 'cuda finally getting some love after 28 years

Started by RacerX, May 07, 2020, 11:04:30 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Cut the cowl VIN out, weld it in the new panel and metal finish both side before installing it in the car, you won't be the first person to swap out a cowl number :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Yes: Transfer the VIN. Keep all the photos as that explains why you transferred it and that the shell is the actual one you started with and not a 1973 318 shell.
Sheldon

RacerX

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on July 11, 2020, 07:36:31 AM
No surprises now. When it's over and it's painted you'll know it wasn't all a waste of time.

That is what the blast guy kept saying...   he feels sorry for the guys that did restorations 15-20 years
ago and didn't blast the cars.   Ticking time bombs with rust waiting to pop through that new paint and
ruin all the effort.

Normally stuff like that would sound like the guy is just trying to justify his work/costs but he is right.

Not everyone has the time and budget to go to this level, but in the long run the extra effort will be worth
the investment.

RacerX

Quote from: anlauto on July 11, 2020, 07:54:41 AM
Cut the cowl VIN out, weld it in the new panel and metal finish both side before installing it in the car, you won't be the first person to swap out a cowl number :alan2cents:

Yea that is what I was thinking...   transfer it and finish both sides so it looks good and doesn't raise
unnecessary questions but document it so it can be shown that no deception is intended.

anlauto

Quote from: RacerX on July 11, 2020, 08:40:50 AM
Quote from: anlauto on July 11, 2020, 07:54:41 AM

Yea that is what I was thinking...   transfer it and finish both sides so it looks good and doesn't raise
unnecessary questions but document it so it can be shown that no deception is intended.

Exactly :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Mopar5

I spent a lot of time trying to salvage my original cowl but it didn't work out .I transferred the cowl stamp to the new one also

RacerX

First delivery of "rust mitigation" products!     :banana:

Pretty impressed with these...   looks great and will be a huge time saver...

anlauto

Quote from: RacerX on August 19, 2020, 04:38:59 PM

You know it only takes one of those right ? :D

RacerX

Quote from: anlauto on August 19, 2020, 05:09:19 PM
Quote from: RacerX on August 19, 2020, 04:38:59 PM

You know it only takes one of those right ? :D

Hahaha yea...    one is for my '70 Challenger.   It will be a while before we get to that one
but I figured for the price it was best to "future proof" and get two of them now.  Save on
shipping and not have to worry about "no longer available" or price is doubled later on.

Nice pieces!    Good attention to detail from Dynacorn.   They even include the fuel tank straps.
Anyone doing rear frame rails and trunk floor this looks like the way to go.  By the time you
add up the individual pieces it is more than what these cost and you still need to align them
and weld them in.   Here it is all already done.

Packaging was a little dodgy but they survived the trip with no damage.

Got them through Dave at Roseville.   Anyone still undecided on who to deal with for parts
you need look no further.   These guys are great and a pleasure to deal with which is something
you tend to encounter rarely these days.

Definitely adds to the motivation seeing nice, new, RUST FREE parts!    :veryexcited:

RacerX

AMD Claus comes in September....   even has a red "Sleigh"    :bigthumb:

Lots of goodies!

cudamadd

Talk about going shopping ,lots of boxes have fun  :australia:

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

RacerX

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 22, 2020, 07:29:15 PM
Looks like you're going all-in.

Yea seems like quite a haul!    A lot of the boxes are really big though to protect the item inside.

And not all of that is for the 'cuda though...    got some things for the '70 Challenger to save on shipping.

RacerX

While the car was out to the blaster I started working on the steering column.

After many delays for little parts here and there finally got it done.

Turned out OK it seems...

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of "before" pictures, but imagine the whole thing looked pretty much like the piece of it in the last picture...    :o

anlauto