Main Menu

74 Challenger Canadian Restoration

Started by daaboots, November 13, 2019, 05:44:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

daaboots

Quote from: dodj on February 09, 2023, 04:55:50 AM
It's been minus a million degrees in Ottawa lately.  :o.  Probably got lots of garage time in?  :wrenching:

Bah! We had one sorta kinda cold night and everyone FREAKED out  :'(

Haven't touched the car since the last video. I'm waiting for the firewall and related parts to show up. Until then, there's only a few little things I can fix up, and I haven't found the motivation to get my ass in gear.

dodj

My sister is in Orleans..she said -40*?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

Quote from: dodj on February 09, 2023, 01:54:42 PM
My sister is in Orleans..she said -40*?

...well it's forty below and I don't give a  :foul: , got heater in my truck and I'm off to the rodeo..... :banana: :banana:

Get back in the garage...we need another video to watch... :cooldance:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

daaboots

Next video is live! I repaired the front driver side rocker panel. I should have a bunch more parts in a month to start putting the firewall back together.

daaboots

I'm back at it! New door post and firewall is slowing going in  :twothumbsup:

daaboots

New video! I just finished installing the a-post pillar (door hinge post)

7212Mopar

Amazing how much work it takes to rebuild a body. May be put hinges on and test fit the door at this time?
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Dmod1974

Been there, done that, and I don't miss or envy this stage of a build.

Yup, that cowl side piece fits like crap.  My AMD ones also had that incorrect bend and the notches did not line up with the OE pieces.  Also, double check the parking brake weld nut on the driver side.  Mine was welded on the wrong side!  That would have been really bad if I didn't catch and correct it before going together.

daaboots

Quote from: Dmod1974 on June 16, 2023, 04:13:49 PM

Yup, that cowl side piece fits like crap.  My AMD ones also had that incorrect bend and the notches did not line up with the OE pieces.  Also, double check the parking brake weld nut on the driver side.  Mine was welded on the wrong side!  That would have been really bad if I didn't catch and correct it before going together.

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one with fitment issues. I'll check out that parking brake nut. What side should it be on?

Dmod1974

Quote from: daaboots on June 19, 2023, 07:06:18 AM

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one with fitment issues. I'll check out that parking brake nut. What side should it be on?

It should be on the backside of the panel so that the parking brake pedal assy. sits flush on that panel.  On mine, and several others I've seen, the weld nut was on the wrong side so the parking brake assy. would sit on top of the tiny weld nut instead of flush against the panel.  It might still physically bolt up since the stud holes on the firewall are pretty big, but the bolt hole end is sitting up on a 1/2" diameter nut instead of fitting tightly against the cowl side panel with way more surface area.  That's assuming the bolt hole in the parking brake assy. isn't so large that the weld nut passes through it.  I fixed mine instead of waiting to find out if it would work at all.

Dmod1974

And here's the parking brake assy.  That bolt hole is slotted and pretty big....  Not sure if it would pass through and prevent you from tightening it down or not.

daaboots

Quote from: Dmod1974 on June 19, 2023, 07:21:33 AM
Quote from: daaboots on June 19, 2023, 07:06:18 AM

It should be on the backside of the panel so that the parking brake pedal assy. sits flush on that panel.  On mine, and several others I've seen, the weld nut was on the wrong side so the parking brake assy. would sit on top of the tiny weld nut instead of flush against the panel.  It might still physically bolt up since the stud holes on the firewall are pretty big, but the bolt hole end is sitting up on a 1/2" diameter nut instead of fitting tightly against the cowl side panel with way more surface area.  That's assuming the bolt hole in the parking brake assy. isn't so large that the weld nut passes through it.  I fixed mine instead of waiting to find out if it would work at all.

Thanks for the heads up!

daaboots

Still plugging away on the firewall

jimynick

Comin' along! I can see that you're not paying for the mig wire the way you welded that hinge pillar to the firewall! LOL One of the things I admire about your repair is your tenacity! There is no way in hell you can repair one of these things in the state ours were in, without it. You'll get a great high one day as you sit and look at her and you'll have earned every bit of it. Roll on lad, roll on! :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

daaboots

Quote from: jimynick on June 25, 2023, 07:20:25 PM
Comin' along! I can see that you're not paying for the mig wire the way you welded that hinge pillar to the firewall! LOL One of the things I admire about your repair is your tenacity! There is no way in hell you can repair one of these things in the state ours were in, without it. You'll get a great high one day as you sit and look at her and you'll have earned every bit of it. Roll on lad, roll on! :bigthumb:

Thanks Ian! LOL... what's a few dollars of mig wire at this point eh  :drunk: