Main Menu

Barnfind 1970 Barracuda

Started by soundcontrol, March 07, 2020, 01:28:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

soundcontrol

Got some xylene, it had about the same effect as Lacquer thinner.
But I decided not to try to save the original Yellow now, since I found some used parts in different colors,
and got some new AMD parts, so I have to paint it anyways.

JS29

soundcontrol

Took the damaged front end apart today.
Looking good under the fender, just surface rust, for now I just brush it off and put some rust converter on.

Very cool to work on a car that no one has touched before, finding little things I did not know existed.

JS29

That left apron looks like an easy fix.  :alan2cents:

soundcontrol

Quote from: JS29 on March 29, 2020, 02:05:43 PM
That left apron looks like an easy fix.  :alan2cents:

It was, I fixed it already, putting the other fender on this week.

JS29

anlauto

What type of fasteners are holding on the inner splash shield ? :rubeyes:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

soundcontrol

Quote from: anlauto on March 29, 2020, 02:50:56 PM
What type of fasteners are holding on the inner splash shield ? :rubeyes:

Screws with a head one size smaller than 3/8, I used a 8mm socket since I did not have a smaller inch one at home.
One larger head screw, but I only removed the 3 upper ones so I could get to the fender bracket bolt.

anlauto

...with a small washer maybe 3/4" is diameter ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

JS29

8MM socket will interchange with a 5/16's socket. A 1/4" is the common next size smaller Hex head. :alan2cents:

soundcontrol

Yes, the washer is 3/4".
Correct JS29, it's a 5/16 head, just checked.

anlauto

Interesting to find that fastener being used on a pretty much untouched 1970 E Body  :thinking:  Thanks for taking the time to research this and posting pictures :worship: :drinkingbud:

soundcontrol

Quote from: anlauto on March 30, 2020, 12:42:49 PM
Interesting to find that fastener being used on a pretty much untouched 1970 E Body  :thinking:  Thanks for taking the time to research this and posting pictures :worship: :drinkingbud:

That exact same screws were used on the small splash shield behind the headlight bucket also.
Never seen that splash shield on an e-body before, and I had 7 of them before this one.

soundcontrol

Redneck resto in progress. Reminds me when I worked on my cars in the late 70's, out in the elements, no clue what I was doing.
Fixed a small rust hole on the cowl with seam sealer!  :o
Fixed a broken off bumper bracket bolt, tried to weld a nut on it but nope, hade to drill it out completely and weld in a new nut.
Wonder if I dare to rip the rest of the vinyl off... some spots on the a-pillars and above the quarter seam are very soft....

RUNCHARGER

You know how it works. Everytime you uncover something it gets closer to being shuffled off into the corner undriveable and waiting for the complete gutting process.
Sheldon